2016 13" MacBook Pro [6th,2C,U] + GTX 980 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) ...

Notifications
Clear all

2016 13" MacBook Pro [6th,2C,U] + GTX 980 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win10 2004 [fraannk] // USB hub problems  

RSS

fraannk
(@fraannk)

Hi all, here's my first build after lurking for quite some time. 

System specs

• 13" 2016 MacBook Pro with Touch Bar and 4 TB3 ports
  • 2,9 GHz i5 dual-core 
  • 8GB RAM
  • 256GB SSD 
  • Integrated Iris Plus
  • Windows 10, version 2004 slow insider build (RTM) running off a 512GB Samsung T5 

eGPU hardware

Hardware pictures

Installation steps

The Windows To Go environment was created with WinToUSB, and then setup without anything connected. When logged in and BootCamp software/drivers/updates and whatnot was installed, I plugged in the eGPU. After some time Windows installed the necessary drivers and applications needed, and it seemed like I was good to go, but nothing was showing up on my external monitors. I checked device manager, and sure enough, error 12 on the GPU. I then disabled the PCIe Root Port #9 as well as the FaceTime HD camera ("build"-in) (with spelling errors and everything. Smile ) After that, I shut down the machine, disconnected the eGPU, booted the machine, and as soon as the spinning ball appears under the Windows logo, I plugged in the eGPU. And BAM, everything works great. 

Benchmarks

gpgpu

120+ FPS in League of Legends, 1440p, settings maxed out

100+ FPS in CS:GO, 1440p, high settings

100+ FPS in Overwatch, Ultra settings, render scale 100%

240+ FPS in Minecraft

Comments

I'm VERY surprised of the performance I am able to get in the games that I play, when I think of the puny 2,9GHz dual-core. I really didn't expect much. I come from a Mac Pro 5,1 6-core 3,46GHz using the same 980 Ti, and I sometimes even get BETTER performance than that machine. I CPU heavy workloads I can feel a difference though, but the plan is also to upgrade the laptop. 

I do, as some others, experience problems with connecting USB hubs to the Razer Core X Chroma. As I need more than 4 USB ports, I'm hoping that someone has found a solution to this. If not, I might just have to give in on the perfect one-cable solution and buy a USB hub that I can connect to the MacBook. (Yes, the plan is also to get rid of the external SSD when I get a Mac with appropriate amounts of storage.)

This topic was modified 3 months ago
2016 13" MacBook Pro [6th,2C,U] + GTX 980 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote