Setup & Software Discussions
2016 13" MacBook Pro [6th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + Win10 ...

2016 13" MacBook Pro [6th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + Win10 1903 [jefniro]  

RSS

jefniro
(@jefniro)
Estimable Member

Hello crew, I update my build with the results that I have with the new GPU AMD RX 5700 XT. As you know results are only for Windows Bootcamp. In few words, I doubled the performances!

My System:

• MacBook Pro  13" Late 2016 with TouchBar i7, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD
  • Windows 10 Professional (Build 1903) with Bootcamp

eGPU gear

bench XT
geek XT
Cattura akitio XT
bench lux

If you want to compare with my old setup https://egpu.io/forums/builds/late-2016-13-macbook-pro-tb-i7-akitio-node-xfx-amd-rx480-black-edition-macos-windows-10/

This topic was modified 2 months ago

2016 13" MacBook Pro + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + Win10 1903

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@jefniro versus your previous system, this is a substantial upgrade. And those OpenCL numbers are nuts. Nice going!

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.shautomate-eGPU EFI Installer
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + RX 5700 XT (Mantiz Venus)

jefniro liked
ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

Hmmm... so I just ran Unigine Valley on Extreme HD and got the same FPS as you roughly with my Vega 56... Wonder if that relates to the H2D limitation @Mac_editor mentioned. Thats a bit tech for me so off to do some reading up, ran AIDA64 too and got 2200 ish for my Memory Read but the trial doesn't show write...

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
jefniro
(@jefniro)
Estimable Member

Posted by: @eightarmedpet

Hmmm... so I just ran Unigine Valley on Extreme HD and got the same FPS as you roughly with my Vega 56... Wonder if that relates to the H2D limitation @Mac_editor mentioned. Thats a bit tech for me so off to do some reading up, ran AIDA64 too and got 2200 ish for my Memory Read but the trial doesn't show write...

I will try with extreme HD setting.. I will let you know.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

@jefniro cheers! I assumed thats the setting you had used. I've added my results in my build. How are in game improvements because I fear we are both limited by our CPU's...

---

ReplyQuote
jefniro
(@jefniro)
Estimable Member

@eightarmedpet about the game improvements, I haven't checked it yet. At the moment I have only Forza Horizon 4 for benchmark.

And yes, I think the limitation now is my CPU but I play 1080p with framerate fixed in this moment, maybe next year I will switch to a new 2k monitor, but I will change my MacBook Pro too... so for now I hope I will enjoy my new setup! 😀

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

@jefniro I'm sure you will enjoy it! One thing that doesnt get mentioned a lot with the Navi cards is they have some sort of fancy built in upscaling with minimal performance drop (around 5% I think), meaning you could have in game settings of 1080 but upscale to a 4K monitor via Radeon settings and it will look good and perform well (compared ot native versions of both res).
I'll be grabbing the next gen Mac mini once its released (only expect a minor CPU upgrade) and will keep my Macbook for travel - Desktop for home, files synced via iCloud.

---

jefniro liked
ReplyQuote
jefniro
(@jefniro)
Estimable Member

@eightarmedpet as promised:

bench XT ultra
This post was modified 2 months ago

ReplyQuote
User99999
(@user99999)
Eminent Member

old Macbook via TB2 to TB3 adapter AMD Rx5700 non-XT in Bootcamp with stockcooler and powertable mod, max junct temp 87 - stable in games and benchmarks.  Do you think all Rx5700 cards can do this once unlocked?

Rx5700

Pending: Macbook Pro Retina Mid 2015 m370x eGPU Radeon Rx 5700 W10

ReplyQuote
(@thach_nguyen)

Posted by: @jefniro

Hello crew, I update my build with the results that I have with the new GPU AMD RX 5700 XT. As you know results are only for Windows Bootcamp. In few words, I doubled the performances!

My System:

• MacBook Pro  13" Late 2016 with TouchBar i7, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD
  • Windows 10 Professional (Build 1903) with Bootcamp

eGPU gear

bench XT
geek XT
Cattura akitio XT
bench lux

If you want to compare with my old setup https://egpu.io/forums/builds/late-2016-13-macbook-pro-tb-i7-akitio-node-xfx-amd-rx480-black-edition-macos-windows-10/

Please help with a new guide for 2016 13" MacBook Pro [6th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + Win10 1903, because there are some difference between rx 480 and Rx 5700 XT.  I have tried to follow your last guide with Rx480, but till become confused in some Installation steps such as Mac OS cannot recognize RX 5700 xt, so how can  enable the 36 CUs for the 5700 XT
I'm new, so your help will mean a lot 😀

Pending: Macbook 2016 touch bar + Razer core X Chroma + RX 5700 XT ...

ReplyQuote
jefniro
(@jefniro)
Estimable Member

Hello @thach_nguyen, MacOS doesn't work (yet) with AMD RX 5700 XT... at the moment there aren't drivers for this GPUs.

ReplyQuote
(@thach_nguyen)

@jefniro

I see, so how to make it work on MacBook 2016 13 inch bootcamp + egpu rx 5700 xt ? please guide me for some Installation step by step because it is to confused with many different case of it. and How to make it boot without Hot plug EGPU as well.
Many Thank...

ReplyQuote
jefniro
(@jefniro)
Estimable Member

ReplyQuote
User99999
(@user99999)
Eminent Member

@thach_nguyen

Is your problem fixed in bootcamp? If not list the steps that you've tried for troubleshoot.  I got the Rx 5700 (non-xt) working in bootcamp and it is an absolute beast with gigantic overclocking headroom.  Your Rx 5700 XT must be a monster if you can get it to work.  Please share some benchmarks once you got it working... with unlocked bios of course. 

ReplyQuote
graphicsnonwizard
(@graphicsnonwizard)

I am honestly stumped as well... and can't get my eGPU to work properly. I installed Windows bootcamp, disabled my automatic updates (for a max of only 35 days... is that a problem?), installed the correct ".295" windows build, went to the bootcamp drivers website and installed Adrenalin Sept. Edition (Red Gaming Drivers), started trying to figure out the VERY confusing howto once I downloaded the zip file... I can't get past the first step when I run 'Display Driver Uninstaller' choosing AMD gpu, and select 'Clean & Restart' (all in safemode) then check device manager as it instructs yet I still see my intel graphics 655 instead of 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter' like I apparently should... what am I doing wrong here? Am I doing something very wrong?

Also when I installed bootcamp is seems my screen is visibly dimmer, even when I crank the brightness to max it doesn't look the same as on MacOS. I am seriously considering paying one of you ~$10 through paypal or venmo if you would get in discord with me and walk me through all this until I am up and running.

Thanks,
The Graphics Idiot

-2018 Macbook Pro 13" i5, 8gb, 512gb
-Mantis Venus Enclosure
-Sapphire Radeon 5700XT (dual fan model)
-Dell (S2719DGF) external display monitor

ReplyQuote
Ningauble77
(@ningauble77)
Estimable Member

@graphicsnonwizard

Couple of things, I have a setup with the same laptop but with a Radeon VII, I think your setup process should be the same.

The instructions you have been following are for the 15" Macbook Pro with on board AMD graphics.  The need to completely uninstall drivers and install drivers from bootcampdrivers.com are in order to make the built in AMD chip and the egpu work properly together and we do not have this issue.

Here is my suggested setup process:

1) Boot the Macbook pro into bootcamp with the egpu detached.

2) Download drivers for your card from AMD.com.  We do not need the modified drivers from bootcampdrivers.com

3)  Plug the egpu into your macbook pro.  Run the AMD Driver installer.

4) When the installer finishes and asks if you want to restart now, click on restart later, then *immediately* click on the start menu and shut down your mac.  I've had odd things happen after the driver install finishes.

5) When the mac is shut down unplug the egpu.

6)  You have 2 options now either:
     a) plug the egpu in, start the macbook pro and boot into bootcamp.  Your internal display will get stuck on the windows logo and be non-functional, but your egpu should come to life and the external monitor should work fine.

b)  Boot your macbook pro into bootcamp, but have the egpu cable ready to plug in (I like to partially insert the tb3 cable so I can "click" it into place quickly).  Wait for the little circle of white balls to show up on the windows boot screen.  Immediately plug in the egpu cable.  This should give you a functional internal and external display.

Also, the internal display being dimmer in bootcamp is perfectly normal behavior.  There may be a way to play with windows power management settings to change this.

2018 13 Macbook Pro + Core v2 + Radeon VII MacOS 10.14.6
Core X Chroma + RTX 2080 Windows 10 1903

ReplyQuote
graphicsnonwizard
(@graphicsnonwizard)

@ningauble77

Seriously thanks for the response and writeup man... can't believe I was using the 15" instructions.

Do I need to do anything to 'restore' the damage DDU did, I saw it messing with crazy files and hope it didn't screw anything up when I ran it. Hopefully I can just delete the .zip/files I downloaded and be on my merry way.

So after I install the drivers for the first time, I do NOT restart, but plug the eGPU in and then run the 'driver installer'? I'm assuming that's what was downloaded from AMD.com?

Also I want to run my macbook lid closed and just use the external display all the time. Will I have to do this hotplug stuff every single time or will I be able to come home and flip my eGPU on and that power everything up?

And just for safe measure keep me honest here, I am running a HDMI cable from my monitors HDMI2 port to the HDMI slot ON the graphics card. Then have a 40gbps TB3 cable plugged into the eGPU to my macbook pro. Then I have my mouse, keyboard, & headphones plugged into the USBs that come in my Mantis in the back. Am having any input lag having them plugged into my eGPU vs. having them plugged into a dongle attached to my macbook?

Thanks again!

-Mantis Venus Enclosure

ReplyQuote
Ningauble77
(@ningauble77)
Estimable Member

Posted by: @graphicsnonwizard

@ningauble77

Seriously thanks for the response and writeup man... can't believe I was using the 15" instructions.

Do I need to do anything to 'restore' the damage DDU did, I saw it messing with crazy files and hope it didn't screw anything up when I ran it. Hopefully I can just delete the .zip/files I downloaded and be on my merry way.

So after I install the drivers for the first time, I do NOT restart, but plug the eGPU in and then run the 'driver installer'? I'm assuming that's what was downloaded from AMD.com?

Also I want to run my macbook lid closed and just use the external display all the time. Will I have to do this hotplug stuff every single time or will I be able to come home and flip my eGPU on and that power everything up?

And just for safe measure keep me honest here, I am running a HDMI cable from my monitors HDMI2 port to the HDMI slot ON the graphics card. Then have a 40gbps TB3 cable plugged into the eGPU to my macbook pro. Then I have my mouse, keyboard, & headphones plugged into the USBs that come in my Mantis in the back. Am having any input lag having them plugged into my eGPU vs. having them plugged into a dongle attached to my macbook?

Thanks again!

I don't think you should need to do anything to undo what DDU did, all it does is delete any existing AMD drivers on your system and we plan to install the latest ones anyway.  You may need to run DDU to uninstall these drivers in the future to upgrade to newer drivers, tho I have had good success just upgrading over them myself.

You want to start up without the egpu plugged in, plug it in after you login to windows, install the AMD drivers and then shutdown as soon as they are installed.  Basically the AMD drivers will not install properly unless they see compatible hardware, so the egpu needs to be connected, but you do not want to boot with it plugged in because on our macbooks this disables the onboard intel graphics and you would be operating blind with neither display working.

I actually run my macbook pro in clamshell mode most of the time too.  You will need to right click on the windows start button, go to power options, go to additonal settings and tell it to "do nothing" when the lid is closed, otherwise your computer will go to sleep when you close the lid.  Once you do this clamshell mode should work fine using either boot method.

If you want to use both screens at once you will need to boot using the "hotplug" method.  If you are only going to use the external display in clamshell mode you can boot with the egpu attached.  There are a few minor complexities involved:

If you boot with the egpu attached, the system still knows that there is an additional monitor (the built-in display), even though it is effectively unuseable.  I would advise you to right click on the desktop and where it says "extend desktop"  figure out which monitor is the external display and select "show only on x" where x is the number of the display.  This keeps you from being able to accidentally drag your cursor off screen into the "phantom display" and from applications accidentally running on it.  Be warned if you select the wrong monitor to "show only" on, you will end up with a blank external display and non functional internal display so be careful you have them identified properly.

Also if you boot with the egpu attached, sleep is no longer available from the power menu, your display may sleep, but the laptop and egpu will stay powered and running at all times.

Also when the display goes to sleep after booting with the egpu attached your windows will be resized and stacked when the display wakes.  I believe this is because when a display goes to sleep windows automatically moves all windows on it to another display attached, and it moves them to the "phantom display"

None of the above issues apply if you use the "hotplug at windows logo" method, it's just a small nuisance to have to do this every time you start up the laptop from being shut all the way down or from being booted in macos.

ReplyQuote
graphicsnonwizard
(@graphicsnonwizard)

@ningauble77

@itsage

I just keep running into error 175 and error 173 of AMD saying my hardware is not being found or non compatible. But some variable is changing when I have it unplugged until the white dot spin, or plug in once I login. There’s two different downloads on radeons site for the 5700xt too, there’s a first option then an auto detect. After running the installed driver I am met w the errors.

Would one of you hop into discord with me to walk me through this? I will paypal you $10 if you help me get this sorted. I can't for the life of me get this working. Really regretting this purchase.

edit: hell I'll do $20 if someone can get me up and running by tonight... 

-Mantis Venus Enclosure

ReplyQuote
Ningauble77
(@ningauble77)
Estimable Member

@graphicsnonwizard

When you plug the enclosure in do the other mantiz venus components show up in the device manager, such as the network card?  If the drivers aren't indentifying the card there may be an issue with the TB3 cable, the enclosure, or the card itself.  Have you made sure the card is seated properly and that the pcie power cables are connected?

ReplyQuote
graphicsnonwizard
(@graphicsnonwizard)

@ningauble77

Here is a imgur link ( https://imgur.com/a/APRJtLB ) of the downloads I installed from the AMD website and what my device manager shows whenever I pull it up. What are the "pcie power cables" all I did was just pop the graphics card in the slot until I heard the latch click. And when I turn on the eGPU the red logo glows on the card, so I would assume it is seated properly, was I supposed to plug anything in?

-Mantis Venus Enclosure

ReplyQuote
(@thach_nguyen)

@user99999

I have been success with my Macbook 2016 touch bar (Core I5) bootcamp Win 10 Ver 1903 OS Build 18362.30  +  Razer core X Chroma  +  RX 5700 XT  without doing anything too much. Everything I need is just creating an EFI System Partition with rEFInd,   then trying to copy automate-eGPU.sh v1.0.1 file by file to the same folder which have been created by installing rEFInd and replacing all the  apple_set_os.efi on EFI by apple_set_os.efi in automate-eGPU.sh v1.0.1 folder. Then of course, running DDU on safe mode then uninstall AMD Driver then restarting and installing AMD Driver download from https://www.bootcampdrivers.com/. Disabling the PCI Express Root Port #9 – 9D18 and facetime camera  are required.
Here is my lap benchmark, does it look good? @jefniro  
And thank you

ReplyQuote
whoDean
(@whodean)

Posted by: @ningauble77

@graphicsnonwizard

Couple of things, I have a setup with the same laptop but with a Radeon VII, I think your setup process should be the same.

The instructions you have been following are for the 15" Macbook Pro with on board AMD graphics.  The need to completely uninstall drivers and install drivers from bootcampdrivers.com are in order to make the built in AMD chip and the egpu work properly together and we do not have this issue.

Here is my suggested setup process:

1) Boot the Macbook pro into bootcamp with the egpu detached.

2) Download drivers for your card from AMD.com.  We do not need the modified drivers from bootcampdrivers.com

3)  Plug the egpu into your macbook pro.  Run the AMD Driver installer.

4) When the installer finishes and asks if you want to restart now, click on restart later, then *immediately* click on the start menu and shut down your mac.  I've had odd things happen after the driver install finishes.

5) When the mac is shut down unplug the egpu.

6)  You have 2 options now either:
     a) plug the egpu in, start the macbook pro and boot into bootcamp.  Your internal display will get stuck on the windows logo and be non-functional, but your egpu should come to life and the external monitor should work fine.

b)  Boot your macbook pro into bootcamp, but have the egpu cable ready to plug in (I like to partially insert the tb3 cable so I can "click" it into place quickly).  Wait for the little circle of white balls to show up on the windows boot screen.  Immediately plug in the egpu cable.  This should give you a functional internal and external display.

Also, the internal display being dimmer in bootcamp is perfectly normal behavior.  There may be a way to play with windows power management settings to change this.

Would these directions be the same for a 2018 Mac Mini/Razer Core X Chroma/MSI Gaming Radeon 5700xt?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
User99999
(@user99999)
Eminent Member

@thach_nguyen

Where do you look to get the PCI port number?

ReplyQuote
(@thach_nguyen)

@user99999

Please find it out from here: https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/2016-macbook-pro-solving-egpu-error-12-in-windows-10/ but it is not the same for different MacBook versions 

ReplyQuote
Ningauble77
(@ningauble77)
Estimable Member

@whodean

I can't vouch for them exactly since I do not own a mac mini 2018, however the two computers have enough in common that the process should be very similar.

Posted by: @graphicsnonwizard

@ningauble77

Here is a imgur link ( https://imgur.com/a/APRJtLB ) of the downloads I installed from the AMD website and what my device manager shows whenever I pull it up. What are the "pcie power cables" all I did was just pop the graphics card in the slot until I heard the latch click. And when I turn on the eGPU the red logo glows on the card, so I would assume it is seated properly, was I supposed to plug anything in?

If you haven't plugged in the auxiliary power connectors from the mantiz power supply to the back-top edge of the video card (there should be one 8 pin and one 6 pin connector)  the video card will not work.  Most modern gpus cannot run exclusively on power supplied by the slot.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote