2016 13" MacBook Pro [6th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + Win10 ...

Notifications
Clear all

2016 13" MacBook Pro [6th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + Win10 1903 [jefniro]  

of  3
  RSS

graphicsnonwizard
(@graphicsnonwizard)

@ningauble77

Here is a imgur link ( https://imgur.com/a/APRJtLB ) of the downloads I installed from the AMD website and what my device manager shows whenever I pull it up. What are the "pcie power cables" all I did was just pop the graphics card in the slot until I heard the latch click. And when I turn on the eGPU the red logo glows on the card, so I would assume it is seated properly, was I supposed to plug anything in?

-2018 Macbook Pro 13" i5, 8gb, 512gb
-Mantis Venus Enclosure
-Sapphire Radeon 5700XT (dual fan model)
-Dell (S2719DGF) external display monitor

ReplyQuote
Thạch Nguyễn
(@thach_nguyen)

@user99999

I have been success with my Macbook 2016 touch bar (Core I5) bootcamp Win 10 Ver 1903 OS Build 18362.30  +  Razer core X Chroma  +  RX 5700 XT  without doing anything too much. Everything I need is just creating an EFI System Partition with rEFInd,   then trying to copy automate-eGPU.sh v1.0.1 file by file to the same folder which have been created by installing rEFInd and replacing all the  apple_set_os.efi on EFI by apple_set_os.efi in automate-eGPU.sh v1.0.1 folder. Then of course, running DDU on safe mode then uninstall AMD Driver then restarting and installing AMD Driver download from https://www.bootcampdrivers.com/. Disabling the PCI Express Root Port #9 – 9D18 and facetime camera  are required.
Here is my lap benchmark, does it look good? @jefniro  
And thank you

This post was modified 2 years ago

Macbook 2016 touch bar + Razer core X Chroma + RX 5700 XT

ReplyQuote
whoDean
(@whodean)

Posted by: @ningauble77

@graphicsnonwizard

Couple of things, I have a setup with the same laptop but with a Radeon VII, I think your setup process should be the same.

The instructions you have been following are for the 15" Macbook Pro with on board AMD graphics.  The need to completely uninstall drivers and install drivers from bootcampdrivers.com are in order to make the built in AMD chip and the egpu work properly together and we do not have this issue.

Here is my suggested setup process:

1) Boot the Macbook pro into bootcamp with the egpu detached.

2) Download drivers for your card from AMD.com.  We do not need the modified drivers from bootcampdrivers.com

3)  Plug the egpu into your macbook pro.  Run the AMD Driver installer.

4) When the installer finishes and asks if you want to restart now, click on restart later, then *immediately* click on the start menu and shut down your mac.  I've had odd things happen after the driver install finishes.

5) When the mac is shut down unplug the egpu.

6)  You have 2 options now either:
     a) plug the egpu in, start the macbook pro and boot into bootcamp.  Your internal display will get stuck on the windows logo and be non-functional, but your egpu should come to life and the external monitor should work fine.

b)  Boot your macbook pro into bootcamp, but have the egpu cable ready to plug in (I like to partially insert the tb3 cable so I can "click" it into place quickly).  Wait for the little circle of white balls to show up on the windows boot screen.  Immediately plug in the egpu cable.  This should give you a functional internal and external display.

Also, the internal display being dimmer in bootcamp is perfectly normal behavior.  There may be a way to play with windows power management settings to change this.

Would these directions be the same for a 2018 Mac Mini/Razer Core X Chroma/MSI Gaming Radeon 5700xt?

Late 2018 Mac mini 6-Core i7-8700B
UHD Graphics 630 iGPU
64GB RAM/1TB SSD

Razer Core X Chroma

MSI Gaming Radeon RX 5700 XT

LG 34GK950F-B 34" 21:9 Ultragear WQHD Nano IPS Curved Gaming Monitor with Radeon FreeSync 2 (2018), Black

ReplyQuote
User99999
(@user99999)
Trusted Member

@thach_nguyen

Where do you look to get the PCI port number?

Macbook Pro Retina Mid 2015 m370x eGPU Radeon Rx 5700 W10

ReplyQuote
Thạch Nguyễn
(@thach_nguyen)

@user99999

Please find it out from here: https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/2016-macbook-pro-solving-egpu-error-12-in-windows-10/ but it is not the same for different MacBook versions 

Macbook 2016 touch bar + Razer core X Chroma + RX 5700 XT

ReplyQuote
Ningauble77
(@ningauble77)
Reputable Member

@whodean

I can't vouch for them exactly since I do not own a mac mini 2018, however the two computers have enough in common that the process should be very similar.

Posted by: @graphicsnonwizard

@ningauble77

Here is a imgur link ( https://imgur.com/a/APRJtLB ) of the downloads I installed from the AMD website and what my device manager shows whenever I pull it up. What are the "pcie power cables" all I did was just pop the graphics card in the slot until I heard the latch click. And when I turn on the eGPU the red logo glows on the card, so I would assume it is seated properly, was I supposed to plug anything in?

If you haven't plugged in the auxiliary power connectors from the mantiz power supply to the back-top edge of the video card (there should be one 8 pin and one 6 pin connector)  the video card will not work.  Most modern gpus cannot run exclusively on power supplied by the slot.

2019 16 Macbook Pro + Core v2 + Radeon VII MacOS 10.15.1
Core X Chroma + RTX 2080 Windows 10 1909
Asrock X570 Phantom Gaming ITX/TB3, Ryzen 5 3400G + Core v2 + Radeon VII Win10 1909

2020 13" Razer Blade Stealth (GTX1650Ti) [11th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win10 20H2 // inc Radeon VII & 4xGPU concurrent benchmarks [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
 of  3