2016 13" MacBook Pro [6th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) ...

Notifications
Clear all

2016 13" MacBook Pro [6th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + macOS 10.15.5 & Win10 2004 [Olecsp Ragde]  

RSS

Olecsp Ragde
(@olecsp-ragde)

System specs
MacBook Pro  (Two Thunderbolt 3 ports, no touch bar, late 2016)
2.0 GHz Intel Core i5
8 GB RAM
Intel Iris Graphics 540

eGPU Hardware
Razer Core X Chroma
Sapphire Nitro+ AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
Thunderbolt 3 cable  ( Included by Razer)
Dell 24" (U2414H)

OSX Guide
Plug and play, works great on macOS Catalina!

Windows Guide
Getting eGPU to work on Windows it's not straight forward like on Mac OS X and in this Guide I will explain steps I took to make it work.

Make sure that eGPU is not plugged in. For now you will need only Macbook Pro and Windows 10 ISO file.

Windows 10 Installation

To Install Windows i used "Win10_2004_English_x64.iso" that I downloaded from official Microsoft page on MACOSX

1. Download Windows 10 ISO file from Microsoft page.
  2. Install Windows using Boot Camp Assistant.
  3. Install Boot Camp Drivers (Install should appear automatically after Windows 10 Installation)
  4. Update Windows with latest updates.
  5. Turn off Link State Power Management in the Power Options.
  6. After all installations and updates completed boot back to MAC OS X holding "Option" key.

Automate-eGPU EFI USB Drive

In this step we will create Automate-eGPU EFI USB drive using this GUIDE and apply Catalina Patch. Please see below steps i took to create USB drive.

1. Eject all USB drives that you don't want to be formatted.
  2. Insert USB drive (small size USB or whatever USB drive you are not using)
  3. Format USB using disk utility. Format: MS-DOS (FAT), Scheme: Master Boot Record and give it a name. I named "EGPUBOOT".
  4. To Install Automate-eGPU EFI to USB drive launch Terminal and PASTE this code and hit ENTER :
    bash <(curl -s   https://egpu.io/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/automate-eGPU-EFI-install.txt) 
  5. Follow Script Instructions and choose Nvidia as a GPU vendor.
  6. Apply Catalina patch. Just copy and overwrite this file https://egpu.io/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/automate-eGPU.efi_.zip to created USB to this directory : EGPUBOOT/EFI/BOOT/ ("EGPUBOOT" is the name of my USB)
  7. Leave USB inserted in Thunderbolt-3 port closer to screen.

Generate DSDT Override File

In this section we will BOOT to Windows using "Option" key select bootcamp "Windows" drive (don't use automated-eGPU EFI drive we just created). Once booted we will create/ generate DSDT Override file using this GUIDE. Just do steps like it show slowly and you will be fine. I used Intel method and I did get 0 errors and 9 warnings, so i didn't have to fix anything. If you have same Mac Book Pro 13" 2016 as I do you can download my DSDT file and it should work for you, see this link for DSDT file. Just place file in this direction: EGPUBOOT/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/WINDOWS/ ("EGPUBOOT" is the name of my USB). Shut Down your Macbook Pro.

Installing eGPU and eGPU Drivers

Now after steps described above we have our Macbook Pro shutdown and Automate-eGPU EFI USB drive inserted to Thunderbolt 3 port closer to screen. Now please follow these steps :

1. Connect eGPU to Thunderbolt 3 port closer to shift key or closer to You ! Please connect ONLY external Monitor to eGPU. Don't connect any USB or ethernet cables to eGPU enclosure.
  2. Turn Macbook Pro on and hold "Option" key.
  3. Choose "Efi boot"(Automated-eGPU EFI drive) and follow instructions to boot in Windows. (press Q and select Windows)
  4. Now you should boot in Windows with internal display working ( booting into windows without Automated-eGPU EFI will cause freeze on windows logo)
  5. Download and Install latest AMD drivers from Official page. Restart and Always Boot into Windows using Automated-eGPU EFI when you want to use eGPU.
  6. When External Display will start working it mean you eGPU working correctly.

Now you should be fine using eGPU and now you can connect usb devices to eGPU enclosure. Thank you !

2016 13" MacBook Pro [6th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + macOS 10.15.5 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote