2016 13" MacBook Pro [6th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) ...

Notifications
Clear all

2016 13" MacBook Pro [6th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + macOS 10.15 & Win10 1903 [doobix]  

RSS

doobix
(@doobix)

System specs
MacBook Pro (Two Thunderbolt 3 ports, no touch bar, late 2016)
2.4 GHz Intel Core i7 (i7-6660U)
16 GB RAM
Intel Iris Graphics 540

eGPU Hardware
Razer Core X Chroma
XFX AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
Thunderbolt 3 cable (6 feet)
Dell 27" Gaming Monitor (S2719DGF)

OSX Guide
Plug and play, works great on macOS Catalina!

Windows Guide
It has taken me many days, a lot of re-installs, and much trial & error, to get my eGPU to finally work consistently in Windows 10 on my 2016 MacBook Pro. Here's how I was able to get it working:

1. Unplug the eGPU. It is not needed as of yet.
  2. In macOS, run Boot Camp Assistant to install a fresh copy of Windows 10 version 1903. I looked online for this ISO file: Win10_1903_V1_English_x64.iso
  3. After installing, boot into Windows, and install KB4512508. Make sure to download the correct file for Windows 10, not Windows Server. This patch will bring Windows up to build 18362.295.
  4. Install the Apple boot camp drivers.
  5. Disable automatic Windows Updates. Since I'm on Windows 10 Professional, I was able to do this via gpedit.msc > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update > Configure Automatic Updates. Set to "Enabled" and "Notify for download and auto install".
  6. Download Adrenalin April 2020 Red Gaming edition (Best FPS in games) from bootcampdrivers.com.
  7. Generate a DSDT override file. If you follow all of the steps correctly, you'll get an aml file at the end. Rename it to DSDT.aml.
  8. Create the automate-eGPU EFI USB drive and apply the Catalina patch as well.
  9. Copy the DSDT.aml file from step 7, and paste it in the USB drive in this directory: DRIVE:\EFI\CLOVER\ACPI\Windows\
  10. Go into Device Manager and disable 2 things:
    • Imaging Devices > Facetime HD Camera
    • System Devices > Mobile 6th/7th Generation Intel(R) Processor Family I/O PCI Express Root Port #9 - 9D18
  11. Turn off Link State Power Management in the Power Options. Very important step that took me forever to stumble upon on Reddit. I didn't see any guides in egpu.io mention this. Turning this option off lets my Windows 10 boot flawlessly without needing to unplug/replug the Thunderbolt 3 during boot up!
  12. Shut down Windows.
  13. Now here's the moment you've been waiting for! Make sure the automate-eGPU EFI USB Drive is plugged into the left USB port closest to the screen. Plug in the eGPU Thunderbolt 3 cable to the other left USB port. I don't know why the eGPU will not work for me if I have it plugged into the first USB port.
  14. Power on the MacBook Pro while holding the option key. Select the EFI USB drive, press Q for options, and then choose Load Windows.
  15. Windows 10 should load properly. I have my external monitor, keyboard, mouse, and webcam plugged into the Core X Chroma's USB ports. The external monitor shows Windows but everything looks big because there's no drivers installed yet. The peripherals work properly. There's no WiFi because PCIe Root Port #9 was disabled, but I have an ethernet connection via the eGPU.
  16. Extract the AMD drivers from step #6 and run setup.exe. It should detect your graphics card and install successfully. Restart Windows.
  17. Make sure to ALWAYS use automate-eGPU EFI to boot into Windows. The eGPU should now be working great on Windows 10!

Bonus: If you don't want to have the automate-eGPU EFI USB drive always dangling out from your MacBook, you can create a partition in the internal storage! Boot into macOS, run disk utility, select the top most disk which has the macOS container and the boot camp partition. Create a new MS-DOS (FAT) partition. It can be very small, I made mine around 100 MB. When the partition is created, copy all of the automate-eGPU EFI files from the USB drive and paste it into this new FAT partition. Now you can eject the USB drive, restart the MacBook, hold the option key, and you should be able to boot from the new automate-eGPU EFI drive.

Photo of setup

IMG 7381

This topic was modified 3 months ago
2016 13" MacBook Pro [6th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + macOS 10.15 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@doobix, Welcome aboard and thank you for sharing this build! The 2016 MacBook Pro is definitely one of the more challenging host laptop to get going with a Radeon eGPU in Boot Camp. Can you share the behavior when Link State Power Management was not turned off?

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX 5600 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (VisionTek mini eGFX) + macOS 11 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
doobix
(@doobix)

Posted by: @itsage

@doobix, Welcome aboard and thank you for sharing this build! The 2016 MacBook Pro is definitely one of the more challenging host laptop to get going with a Radeon eGPU in Boot Camp. Can you share the behavior when Link State Power Management was not turned off?

Certainly!

In the scenario when LSPM was not turned off, to boot into Windows 10 I had to:

1. Unplug the eGPU's Thunderbolt 3 cable from the MacBook Pro
  2. Power on the MacBook Pro
  3. Use automate-eGPU EFI and Load Windows
  4. Immediately when the spinning balls appeared underneath the Windows logo, plug the eGPU Thunderbolt 3 cable back into the MacBook Pro.

With LSPM turned off, I can boot into Windows like this:

1. Power on the MacBook Pro with the Thunderbolt 3 cable plugged in.
  2. Use automate-eGPU EFI and Load Windows

Also, when LSPM was not turned off, I noticed I had to constantly use DDU to remove the Intel graphics drivers after every boot up and then restart to get AMD graphics working. But with LSPM turned off, I no longer needed DDU!

This post was modified 3 months ago
2016 13" MacBook Pro [6th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + macOS 10.15 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@doobix, Thank you for the clarification! I will keep this in mind when others report similar behavior during Windows boot up.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX 5600 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (VisionTek mini eGFX) + macOS 11 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Jo Schumacher
(@jo_schumacher)

@doobix, Thanks for the setup instructions, I have done this with the 2020 MacBook Pro 13 inch (4 TB3-Port Model) the Razer Core X and the AMD RX 5700 XT as well.

I've redone the steps you mention several times, the hardest part was definitely getting the DSDT Override to function properly. Strangely enough, my eGPU sometimes works even if I don't boot through the EFI drive.

Worked fine now for several hours,

After making it work with the iGPU enabled I saw that the PC was struggling to allocate the workloads between the eGPU and iGPU, as my MacBook was cooking while I was playing games, so I disabled the iGPU after having installed everything, which I think is better for this setup as it runs considerably quieter like this.

If someone knows how to link this to recent builds working with a 2020 MacBook 13 inch and a RX 5700 XT then just go ahead as I hope this helps other struggling with this.

Note for the DSDT Override aml file compilation the Intel Method worked for me best, even though some lines had to be deleted to get rid of the identified errors while following the procedure.

Thank you @doobix very much highly appreciate you sharing this info.

Best regards

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

doobix liked
ReplyQuote
doobix
(@doobix)

Glad my post was able to help you with your build! For me, I didn't uninstall the Intel iGPU drivers because it gave my MacBook's internal screen better display resolutions compared to the default Microsoft drivers.

With that said, last week I actually upgraded my 2016 MacBook Pro 13" to a 2018 MacBook Pro 13" and it was incredibly easier to get Windows working! I didn't need to do DSDT override/automate eGPU EFI/disable anything in device manager. It was mostly plug and play. I'm a bit surprised that the 2020 MacBook Pro 13" has become difficult to work with again.

ReplyQuote
hachiroku
(@hachiroku)

thanks a lot for this tutorial.  it is the only tutorial that works for me and my 2016 macbook pro 13 touchbar with amd 5700 xt.  literally spent about 6 hours trying a bunch of things.  even nicer you added comment in regards to adding another partition with to contain the boot efi info!!!

thank you!

This post was modified 2 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
doobix
(@doobix)

You're welcome! I spent like 3-4 hours per night for 7 nights straight trying to get it to work (plus extra hours on the weekends), and when I finally did it, I just had to write a build guide to help others in the same boat as me!!

hachiroku liked
ReplyQuote
wilwith1l
(@wilwith1l)

@hachiroku

I’m so happy to see this comment. I’ve been working on all these workaround for 2 days and finally came across this workaround and was deflated when I saw the no touchbar configuration, but you’ve given me hope lol 

Thanks, @doobix for the detailed steps. I’m not looking forward to the DSDT override errors to come, but hopefully it won’t be terrible. 

ReplyQuote
hachiroku
(@hachiroku)

Posted by: @wilwith1l

@hachiroku

I’m so happy to see this comment. I’ve been working on all these workaround for 2 days and finally came across this workaround and was deflated when I saw the no touchbar configuration, but you’ve given me hope lol 

Thanks, @doobix for the detailed steps. I’m not looking forward to the DSDT override errors to come, but hopefully it won’t be terrible. 

if you have any issues with building your dsdt-modified.asl let me know.  it was a bit cumbersome, but was able to compare against another members file.  i can share mine as well if needed.

ReplyQuote