late-2016 13" Macbook Pro Touchbar + GTX1070@32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + macOS10.12.4&Win10 [tunatoro]^  

tunatoro
(@tunatoro)
May 20, 2017 3:07 am  

System

-2016 13" Macbook Pro with Touchbar. 3.3GHZ core i7. 512GB SSD. 16RAM

-Mac OS Sierra 10.12.4

-Windows 10 home with bootcamp

eGPU

-EVGA GTX 1070 SC

-Akitio Node

What else do you need?

-a USB stick

-a TB3 to USB adapter

-patience(For some of you, it means trials and errors, but trust me you will get it at the end. I spent almost 12 hours in setting this up. The last 2 hours should be the actual setting process, and the first 10 hours just me being unprepared. With this guide, you will be fine.)

First of all, I really have to thank this forum. Without you guys, I can never complete this build. (It sounds exaggerated, but I am no computer geek, literally. If I can do it, all of you can do it)

Thanks to nando4 and goalque for making the eGPU setup much easier for us. 

I want to take this time to write my implementation guide as explicit as possible for those who want to set up the eGPU and for those who are struggling to set it up.

Major Steps:

1. Bootcamp windows.

2. Setup eGPU

3. No sound problem

I. Bootcamp windows

1. Download a fresh copy of windows from here (Remember to pick Windows 10 Anniversary version)

2. Open Bootcamp assistant. The windows iso should be selected by default. 

3. Choose how much storage you need for windows(If you want to game on windows, try to give it more room)

4. Select continue.

5. Everything should be straightforward from there. People usually have no problem bootcamp it. Here is the video to teach you how to do it. here

II. Setup eGPU

1. Hotplug the Akitio cable into the computer while windows is on.

PS: Hotplug means to turn on the eGPU enclosure and insert the cable while it is on. 

PS: Remember to use the default Akitio cable, I tried my apple TB3 cable and it did not work.

2. Install intel thunderbolt driver to the latest version. Click here

3. Install Akitio firmware to the latest version. Click here

4. You have to do this method provided by goalque to activate iGPU upon boot into windows. Click here

5. In my case, I followed this after step 4. Click here

6. Download the driver for your graphic card. Shut down the computer. Disconnect your eGPU.

7. Reboot windows by holding down option key after press the power button. Select windows, hotplug in the eGPU when the windows logo shows up. In my case, I have to wait for the circular thing come up then plug in.

8. Check device manager if the external GPU is recognized and ready to go.

III. No Sound Problem

1. If your computer went silence after rebooting from bootcamp, go to device manager. Disable the default built-in sound system and then enable it.

2. You might have to do this every time after you boot into windows, but no worry, here is how to write a bootup script to automate it :  here

I did a Unigine benchmark and I am using an internal display through Optimus.

Scored 167 with intel iris. High,2560*1660

Scored 1743 with GTX 1070. High,2560*1660

Edited: 6 months  ago

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
nombrescreeno
(@nombrescreeno)
Trusted Member
May 30, 2017 4:42 am  

4. You have to do this method provided by goalque to activate iGPU upon boot into windows. Click here

Is there a reason why you have to do this step? I thought the MBP 13" didn't have a dGPU, so this isn't necessary as the iGPU should be all that boots up on a start?

ReplyQuote