2016 13" MacBook Pro Touchbar + Sapphire RX Vega [email protected] (Sonnet Breakaway 550 enclosure) + MacOS 10.13.5 (17F77)  

RSS

flocke
(@flocke)
June 29, 2018 5:12 am  

I've bought a apple recommended eGPU ( https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208544) with a supported enclosure.

System specs  (model inc screen size, CPU, iGPU, dGPU, operating system)

• Notebook: MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
  • CPU: 3,3 GHz Intel Core i7
  • Memory: 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
  • Build-in Graphic: Intel Iris Graphics 550 1536 MB
  • External Display: LG ULTRAWIDE Display 34-inch (3440 x 1440)

eGPU hardware  (eGPU enclosure, video card, any third-party TB3 cable, any custom mods)

• Enclosure: Sonnet egfx Breakaway Box 550 W (gpu-550 W-tb3)
  • GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX Vega 56 - 11276-01-40G
  • Nothing special else...

Hardware pictures (note: require 5+ posts for "attach files" button to appear. Or can link from say  http://imgur.com  )

Installation steps (what did you do to get it all going?)

Important point, if you're using this kind of graphic card: On first look, the card does not fit into the enclosure! You have to remove 4 screws from enclosure fan first, then you can slowly but steady mount the card. Look at the images above, it's less than a centimeter between enclosure and card.

After mounting the card, the eGPU works out of the box as a plug-and-play device for my macbook.

Benchmarks (Include a CUDA-Z or AIDA64 bandwidth pic. Optional: Valley, 3dmark, noting if it's on internal/external LCD )

Valley Preset Basic Valley Preset Extreme

Comments (eg: how has the eGPU improved your workflow or gaming?)

I am not the gamer, I've bought the card for video editing and other work. There is a overall good performance with the additional graphic power. Adobe Photoshop CC, Illustrator CC and InDesign CC recognize the graphic unit as dedicated and work with if the GPU is needed. Adobe AfterEffects has also a good performance, but Premerie Pro ignores the card and this makes video editing with Premerie not possible, unfortunately.

Final Cut Pro X recognise the card and outsource many tasks, except rendering. My thought was, that maybe rendering is more powerful for the CPU, so it is a GPU-task at all. However, Playback is working fine and it makes fun to work.

Cool side effect: I am also a web developer and I am using phpStorm from JetBrains as IDE. With the new setup, this got a big performance update! The CPU can concentrate on Code Indexing etc. and the eGPU handles the desktop. It looks like, that the reserved graphic resources on the CPU are gone with the external eGPU.

Result: Huge invest for the eGPU, but the technique is actual a early bird. It's not that much performance I have considered, but I guess it is a software support topic. And this topic will be solved in future software and OS updates.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
julientom
(@julientom)
November 7, 2018 1:40 pm  

Hello

Thanks a lot !!!!
I nearly returned my Nitro+ Vega 56 but I saw you did it !
I am on Mojave, apple tb3 -> tb2 adaptor / sonnet 550w enclosure and same Sapphire NITRO + Radeon Rx Vega 56 
I am very happy, my render time for Canon Raw Lite in FCPX is x 10 on my old - late 2103 mbp !

May I ask you 2 questions please ?

- How should I connect the graphic card to the Egfx Breakaway box’s power supply  ?
The Sapphire Graphics card quick installation first page says : STOP You must connect this graphics board toe the computer’s power supply ( Attached file )
I have some freezing and crashes sometimes, and I never see the eGPU fans spinning, I am wondering if this might be the cause…  ( temperature is 70°C right now )

- Did you manage to set an external display on ?
I know I should be having TB3 but some people apparently succeded in having external display on my configuration ?
Is there somewhere a setting to take care go ? something to activate ? Or de-activiate ?
Should I close my MacBook Pro to activate external display ?
I would like to plug via HDMI or DVI an Dell U3014 display ( 2560 x 1600 ) and another 1080p screen via HDMI or DVI 

I might have a conflict with my Nvidia dGPU...or not... 

10000 thank you for your help

Julien

In addition to my previous message. Here is the System fan control paper...
I don't see any cable for this connection on the sonnet Box 

thanks again

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
flocke
(@flocke)
November 8, 2018 7:01 pm  

Hi Julien,

Sure, feel free to ask:

Power Supply: Yes, connect it, there is no freeze or something else on my setup

External Display: My macbook is closed when Graphics is connected, works really fine with HDMI. There is no setting, but you have to open your macbook for startup.

Have fun,
Florian

ReplyQuote
julientom
(@julientom)
November 8, 2018 7:52 pm  

Hi Florian

Thank you so much.
This is so great to be able to help each-other  through this forum !! 
I  am still a bit confused...

Power Supply:  I did connect the auxiliary power connectors to the card (yellow and black) but it seems there might be one more specific cable to plug to the enclosure or PC power supply... ( not included ? )  This connection is explained in page 1 of  "Sapphire Graphics card quick installation" ...  ( I tried to post it but it failed...)
I couldn't see this particular connection - if there  is one - on your photos. I am not sure you plugged this one... 🙂 
Could you please tell me exactly which cable from the CGU did you use...  ?  or check this particular page of the "Sapphire Graphics card quick installation" 

External Display: My macbook is closed when Graphics is connected, works really fine with HDMI. There is no setting, but you have to open your macbook for startup.
--> Do you mean that you have to open the mbp while booting and then once you are logged in your session,  "MUST" - you  close the mbp screen in order to activate external display ?

thanks again !

Julien

ReplyQuote