2016 13" Macbook Pro Touchbar + [email protected] (Aorus Gaming Box) + macOS10.13 [Smackintosh]^  

RSS

Smackintosh
(@smackintosh)
October 27, 2017 3:41 pm  

Worked for me using https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/wip-nvidia-egpu-support-for-high-sierra/

2016 13" touch bar and Aorus 1070, and using  'csrutil enable --without kext'.  Quick and easy.

I have a 1080p monitor on HDMI out of the Aorus 1070. Plugging it in after log in, logging out, then relogging in has worked for me. Haven’t tried plugging in at the login screen. 

I updated to macOS10.13.1 and added GTX1070 support using adding the NVIDIASUPPORTv2 kext. As expected, it works.

Windows

I’m running Win10 on an external Samsung T3 SSD. I got the thunderbolt software installed, the Aorus firmware updated, Got the driver installed, but upon restart, I don’t think the installation is finishing and I have the yellow bang error 12. I tried disabling PCI express root #9 (right TB ports) and #12 (Wifi), and the facetime camera, but that doesn’t seem to do it.

I haven’t tried making a dsdt nor have I tried reFind. Still not clear if ReFind can specifically help error 12 with the 2016 TB 13″ or if it is more for fixing the dGPU problems of the 15″.

Was hoping the external Win10 drive was possible, and not sure it is helping or hurting here. Meh.

EDIT: Works!! I get 22XX H2D on a 2016 13″ macbook pro TB on both MacOS and Win10 (1611). However, I always hotplug during windows boot when I see the swirly dots. I don’t use the apple_set_os.efi.

2016 13" Macbook Pro TB + [email protected] (Aorus Gaming Box) + macOS10.14 (waiting impatiently for web driver)+ Win10 (using goalque EFI boot, Thanks!)

ReplyQuote
usafballer
(@usafballer)
Eminent Member
December 7, 2017 3:47 pm  

A few questions for you as I'm heavily considering grabbing the Aorus Box with my new (refurb) 2016 MBP 13" with TB.  I'm deploying soon, so trying to consider options.

Here are the use cases I would like to have.  I plan to principally game off the MBP monitor, not an external monitor (I won't have anything to plug into while deployed).

I love using Mac OS, and would love plug and play graphics boost for some of my steam library within High Sierra.  Say for example, just being to play Civ 6 by plugging into the eGPU off the MBP's internal screen (with the usual logout and login?).

I also have a big backlog in general in Steam...so I also want to create a Bootcamp partition (I have a 512GB MBP) and again, play the rest of my more demanding triple A games from within Win10 in Bootcamp - likely off a large external HDD plugged into the Aorus Box's spare USB ports.  Hot plugging looks simple, but again, hard to tell if you are using internal monitor for this stuff.  

So bottom line, would you recco this setup if I am primarily using the MBP's monitor and not an external one for both High Sierra and Win10 bootcamp?  Is it reliable and decent enough performance in both cases?  I know Mac is always a big reduction in performance, but for some of the lighter titles where I don't need to crank 60+ FPS, I'm sure it's still vastly superior to the HD650 iGPU.

Which version of Win 10 are you using?  

What is the fan noise like with the Aorus?

I should add that I am considering eGPU setup or grabbing a Dell 7577 Gaming Laptop or other gaming laptop to take on my deployment.  But like the idea of simply boosting the thin and light MBP 13!

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Kosz
 Kosz
(@kosz)
December 13, 2017 4:16 pm  
Posted by: usafballer

I also have a big backlog in general in Steam...so I also want to create a Bootcamp partition (I have a 512GB MBP) and again, play the rest of my more demanding triple A games from within Win10 in Bootcamp - likely off a large external HDD plugged into the Aorus Box's spare USB ports.  Hot plugging looks simple, but again, hard to tell if you are using internal monitor for this stuff.  

usafballer, I have similar setup (2016 13" MacBook Pro Touchbar/512Gb/I7/16GbRAM + GTX1070/Aorus Gaming Box ) and wanted to do the same, play games from Steam on external drive.

Created a Bootcamp Win10 partition of only 50Gb, just for Steam, Origin and GOG, but instead of connecting and HDD to the Gaming Box, I used a SSD (Samsung T5 500Gb), connected to the right side TB3 port, next to the gaming box. It works perfectly, the only caveat is that Win10 sometimes crashes if loaded with SSD connected. Most of the time I have to plug the SSD after login and mount the drive manually. 

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
shehanigans
(@shehanigans)
July 13, 2018 10:36 pm  

Hello, 
I have a MBP 2016 Touch bar 13", I have a Aorus Gaming box with a GTX 1070 coming. I have Windows 10 installed on my Mac through bootcamp and would like to be able to play on the internal monitor in bootcamp. What do I need to do to do this? I see that there are many workarounds that I do not fully understand and therefore am not sure which one would work for me. 

Thank you for your time

Late 2016 MacBook Pro 13" with touch bar

ReplyQuote