2015 15" Dell Latitude E5570 (R7 M370M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-M2 (AD...

Notifications
Clear all

2015 15" Dell Latitude E5570 (R7 M370M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 [Jkeychen Liew] // custom enclosure  

of  3
  RSS

fredwck
(@fredwck)

Posted by: @jkeychen

Thanks for coming to my build. I’m planning on making a new case for my eGPU and it’s gonna be fully aluminium. Will post an update if I finally make it. 

Regarding the usage of M2 extension, I agreed with your opinion that using the M2 will not directly impact the reliability of gen3 link speed. R3G is a good eGPU adapter and the length of the M2 is <50cm to give a reliable gen3 speed. From what I learn after long term usage of the M2 extension, the longer the cable, the less the reliability of the gen3 speed. ADT suggest to never go for more than 60cm for the cable cause it will cause unstable gen3 link speed. My previous M2 cable is 15cm which is 65cm combine with the R3G cable. 

Now, I’m ordering a 5cm PCIE x4 to female M2 from ADT to make a much more convenient PLUG n PLAY solution for the RG3. Will post an update on this later. 

Regards.

This is extremely useful info about cable length.

I'm very interested if you have any updates regarding the PCIe x4, I was also thinking the same if the PCIe x4 male to female connection is more stable.

To avoid confusion, I'm thinking of a M.2 to PCIe x4 riser (ADT-Link R42SF/SR/SL) connecting to a PCIe x4 to x16 (ADT-Link R23SG) as illustrated below. Let's say total cable length being less than 60cm.

Intel NUC8i7HvK + Aorus TB3 Box + GeForce RTX 2060 mITX

ReplyQuote
tilchev
(@tilchev)
Eminent Member

Hi everyone. My reasoning to consider this build is because my work requires me to have a laptop and I don't like having a separate machine for Gaming. I really don't like the design of gaming laptops and how you can't upgrade their GPU. I'm seriously interested in doing this setup, but I have some questions first.

1) I have the exact same laptop as Jkeychen Liew, only difference is it has a i5 6440HQ Quad Core CPU with base clock 2.6GHz and going up to 3.5GHz. You mentioned you locked your i7 to 3.6GHz and I'm worried my i5 might not be sufficient. Also is locking to the fastest possible GHz required or is it just to ensure maximum performance?

2) I know that the i7 model has variants with a Thunderbolt 3 port and the i5 has not. Could I have driver issues because of this?

3) What did you do with the AMD R7 M370? I have the same card and I'm worried it might interfere (that is 3 GPUs with the integrated intel one). Did you have to disable it or something?

4) Has anyone found a good case to put the ADT-Link R23SG and PSU? I'm thinking of some sort of horizontal case so I can put the laptop on top with maybe the top of the case off.

5) Is there still no way to go with the standard 2.5 SATA SSD? I would guess not but I can't seem to find the 90 degrees angled SATA to mSATA adapter you've used where I live (Bulgaria). I was hoping to at least buy this part locally. Do you think something like this would work? If not can you provide a link for the angled adapter you've used?

6) What do you think about using a 90 degrees angled M.2 extension cable. I'm thinking of using a the 5cm R44MF variant to get it trough the side of the laptop with only making a small gap where the panels meet. I think this way it would be less in the way and the laptop will remain more portable.

7) I'm thinking of starting with some cheap second hand GTX 1050, 1060 or 1650 GPU, because I don't want to fry something expensive and even a 1050 would be a great upgrade from the internal M370. Do these work with the ADT-Link R23SG?

2015 15" Dell Latitude E5570 (R7 M370) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1060 @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
tilchev
(@tilchev)
Eminent Member

Posted by: @tilchev

Hi everyone. My reasoning to consider this build is because my work requires me to have a laptop and I don't like having a separate machine for Gaming. I really don't like the design of gaming laptops and how you can't upgrade their GPU. I'm seriously interested in doing this setup, but I have some questions first.

1) I have the exact same laptop as Jkeychen Liew, only difference is it has a i5 6440HQ Quad Core CPU with base clock 2.6GHz and going up to 3.5GHz. You mentioned you locked your i7 to 3.6GHz and I'm worried my i5 might not be sufficient. Also is locking to the fastest possible GHz required or is it just to ensure maximum performance?

2) I know that the i7 model has variants with a Thunderbolt 3 port and the i5 has not. Could I have driver issues because of this?

3) What did you do with the AMD R7 M370? I have the same card and I'm worried it might interfere (that is 3 GPUs with the integrated intel one). Did you have to disable it or something?

4) Has anyone found a good case to put the ADT-Link R23SG and PSU? I'm thinking of some sort of horizontal case so I can put the laptop on top with maybe the top of the case off.

5) Is there still no way to go with the standard 2.5 SATA SSD? I would guess not but I can't seem to find the 90 degrees angled SATA to mSATA adapter you've used where I live (Bulgaria). I was hoping to at least buy this part locally. Do you think something like this would work? If not can you provide a link for the angled adapter you've used?

6) What do you think about using a 90 degrees angled M.2 extension cable. I'm thinking of using a the 5cm R44MF variant to get it trough the side of the laptop with only making a small gap where the panels meet. I think this way it would be less in the way and the laptop will remain more portable.

7) I'm thinking of starting with some cheap second hand GTX 1050, 1060 or 1650 GPU, because I don't want to fry something expensive and even a 1050 would be a great upgrade from the internal M370. Do these work with the ADT-Link R23SG?

Ok, so I've been reading A LOT around the forum these last 2 days and I think I've answered most of my concerns. I would still appreciate any info about any of the points. However the thing I am most worried about are the warning messages on the ADT-Link products in Aliexpress:

"This product does not support notebook external !!!"
"Pay attention !!!
This type is not suitable for laptop notebooks, Very dangerous, it will burning your laptop mainboard!!!
Only supports less than 3 years old mainboard. If your device is too old, it may not work."
"They are not support laptops, None of Dell's laptops are supported."

This is the only thing stopping me from ordering right now. OP, can you provide info about how your setup held up over the years?

BTW does someone know if OP is still active on this forum, because I saw his last activity was 3 months ago. If not - could someone provide me with some other contact with OP outside of this forum? I promise not to bother him too much.

2015 15" Dell Latitude E5570 (R7 M370) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1060 @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Jkeychen Liew
(@jkeychen)
Eminent Member

It's been a really miles away and I haven't updated any news on my build. I just ordered a new case to replace my old custom case as my GTX1080 Ti can't fit on my previous case. Will post an update after I get my hands on this cute case. 😉

de128b93fd2a7cc93ad8bf600eb786c4

p/s: sorry the image is in low quality as the seller only send me this copy. 

2015 15" Dell Latitude E5570 (R7 M370M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
tilchev
(@tilchev)
Eminent Member

@jkeychen, Is this a mass production case or is it custom made? If it's the first - can you share a link?

ReplyQuote
Jkeychen Liew
(@jkeychen)
Eminent Member

I don't know if it's available on any sites but I got it from Shopee MY. It's not a mass production, it was Custom ITX case but I request an adjustment to it. So it took nearly 2 weeks for them to make it. Since it was a pre-order stuff too so it doesn't matter to me.

Link as follow.

Case

Regards 😉

2015 15" Dell Latitude E5570 (R7 M370M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
tilchev
(@tilchev)
Eminent Member

@jkeychen, Thanks, looks nice but I probably wouldn't be able to get this to ship to Bulgaria.

PS: You can also check out my case https://egpu.io/forums/custom-egpu-chassis/cheap-diy-transparent-case-from-generic-storage-box-no-3d-printing-or-power-tools/

ReplyQuote
Jkeychen Liew
(@jkeychen)
Eminent Member

@tilchev, your case is cool man. You're so creative! 

Sold my GTX1070 and replace it with GTX 1080 Ti, that's why I end up making a custom case to fit the GPU. This eGPU project could be the last project for me. I never thought of this would hold up against current triple A game but looks like it still run perfectly fine. The only thing I'm worried now is my CPU, I hope it can keep up with current game title Cry  

ReplyQuote
Jkeychen Liew
(@jkeychen)
Eminent Member

I've changed the whole eGPU setup with a new one that looks gorgeous.

WhatsApp Image 2020 11 08 at 8.02.39 PM
WhatsApp Image 2020 11 08 at 8.02.39 PM (1)
WhatsApp Image 2020 11 08 at 8.02.40 PM
WhatsApp Image 2020 11 08 at 8.02.40 PM (1)
WhatsApp Image 2020 11 08 at 8.02.41 PM
WhatsApp Image 2020 11 08 at 8.02.41 PM (1)
WhatsApp Image 2020 11 08 at 8.02.42 PM

Setup:

Dell Latitude E5570 i7-6820HQ 4 cores/8 threads locked at 3.6Ghz

16Gb DDR4 ram (8Gb x2 dual channel)

ADT-Link R43SG M.2 Pcie x4 + Palit Jetstream GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb GDDR5X + FSP SFX Pro 450W 80+ bronze.

Performance is better than the previous GTX1070

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
 of  3