2016 15" HP 15-ay078tx (R7 M440) [6th,2C,U] + RTX 2060 @ 8Gbps-M2 (EXP GDC 8.x) ...

Notifications
Clear all

2016 15" HP 15-ay078tx (R7 M440) [6th,2C,U] + RTX 2060 @ 8Gbps-M2 (EXP GDC 8.x) + Win10  

RSS

Paritosh Raut
(@paritosh_raut)

System Specs :

2016 HP Notebook 15-ay078tx ( https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05165068 ) Core i7-6500u with onboard AMD Radeon R7 M440 Dedicated GPU

RAM - Original 8 GB @ 2133  upgraded to 2*8 GB Samsung  

Original Storage 1 TB HDD upgraded to 1 TB SSD Samsung 870 QVO (it makes a huge difference on games like GTA V)

Windows 10 Home - 64 Bit

External 1080p monitor (Brand - Sceptre)

New GPU + Other hardware required

Gigabyte RTX 2060 OC PRO ( you can use whichever u please. But no point in going beyond RTX 2000 series as the CPU will bottleneck the GPU) 

M.2 - HDMI EXP GDC Beast Pro Cable + EXP GDC Dock + Power cables A+E key

EVGA 600 W Power Supply (PSU) - https://www.bestbuy.com/site/evga-600w-atx-12v-eps-12v-80-plus-power-supply-black/8511029.p?skuId=8511029

USB Wifi adaptor - https://www.newegg.com/tp-link-tl-wn722n-usb-2-0/p/N82E16833704045?item=N82E16833704045

Installation steps

Unplug power and Remove battery 

Remove back cover Screws [8 open + 4 hidden (2 under back foot pad & 2 under battery)]

Remove DVD drive (simply pull it out by slipping fingernails in the gap between drive and cover) 

Remove back cover (I used a butter knife to pry it open - reason hard enough , thin enough, blunt enough) - idea is to start prying at the battery end and go around  the DVD drive side and end at the power supply plug side

Locate Wifi card located near hard disk, Remove the Antenna wire attached to the Wifi card 

Remove the single screw and remove the wifi card

Insert the EXP GDC M.2 cable to the slot and fasten the screw. put the back cover on. Keep the battery out for now.

Note - Since there is no good opening for the cable to come out of the laptop, I had to cut a hole in the back cover and pass the cable through it.  Interestingly there is no mesh or Opening under the CPU fan either for air intake. This drove my onboard GPU temperature to about 85 deg C most of the time. So I drilled few more holes on the cover near the fan intake as well and I see the CPU at a reasonable temperature now.

Connect the HDMI side of the cable to the External Dock HDMI input

The dock comes with a power cable with 3 connectors - 20 pin, 4 pin and 8 pin

Connect the 20 PIN connector to the 24 Pin PSU connector (by detaching the 4 pin head) 

Connect the 4 pin connector of the 4 pin CPU connector on the PSU

Insert the 8 pin connector to the doc (sits next to 12 v input) 

Insert the GPU card to the PCI dock and connect the 8 pin PSU PCIE power connector to the card. (If you have 2 power inputs on the card, connect 2 PCIE power connectors). For me 1 was sufficient.

Connect the laptop battery, laptop power cable and PSU power.

Connect the external Wifi adaptor as well since you no longer have the Wifi card. you will also require a bluetooth dongle if you use bluetooth (for headphones, joystick, etc.)

Start the laptop. you should see the GPU and PSU fans start as you switch it on. If it does not, check for connectors for loose joints etc. There should be no other reason except if the GPU card or PSU is dead

The Advanced settings on the BIOS are locked so we go ahead directly to Windows

Open device manager on Windows 

- Under Display adapter - Disable the onboard card. you will also see the New GPU listed as a Generic display adapter or Microsoft display adapter. you need to install the GPU drivers

Install the GPU specific drivers and accompanying software. (for me it was Nvidia drivers). Restart the laptop

Open the device manager and see if the card is displayed correctly. If yes, open dxDiag to see if the GPU is detected correctly. At this point you should be done and ready to use the GPU. 

If you see Error 43 (which I faced) there could be many reasons for that. I tried a lot of solutions (spent almost 2 hours) including reinstalling the drivers, manual driver file selection etc. to no avail. Finally the solution on this link helped.

https://egpu.io/forums/expresscard-mpcie-m-2-adapters/script-nvidia-error43-fixer/

If this solution worked for you consider giving a donation to @nando4 who provided the solution. 

Gaming experience

Earlier my CPU used to run at about 30-60% utilization on most games with the inbuilt GPU at 100% almost all the time. Now I see the card at about 70% and CPU close to 100% most of the time. I was expecting this and am fine with this as the CPU is not powerful enough for a high end gaming rig. But If you play games occasionally and still want some decent graphics, this setup is inexpensive enough and will give a reasonable gaming experience for this laptop)

I am now able to run MS Flight Sim 2020 with medium settings, GTA V with high, and many other games with medium to high settings at 1080p. Did not try 1440 (as i dont need that for now). No lag see and getting about 60 FPS in most games  (about 30 fps in flight sim)

Cost : Total ~ $300

Beast Doc + cable ~ $50

Used RTX 2060 - $180 (I was lucky here to get it that cheap. you can get a used 2060 for around 200-250 - try negotiating). About $300-$330 for brand new ones 

EVGA 600W PSU - $55

USB Wifi adaptor - $20

Value of Fun and satisfaction - Priceless!!!

2016 15" HP 15-ay078tx (R7 M440) [6th,2C,U] + RTX 2060 @ 8Gbps-M2 (EXP GDC 8.x) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

@paritosh_raut, thank you for your build? Do you have any photos so we can see it all working?
Can you perform a bandwidth test to confirm 8Gbps performance of the chipset?

https://egpu.io/builds/#perf

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

ReplyQuote