Setup & Software Discussions
2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP455) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakawa...

2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP455) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 350) + Win10 [Eightarmedpet]  

RSS

Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

System specs:  2016 15" MacBook Pro 455

eGPU hardware:  Sonnet Breakaway box, EVGA GTX 1070 SSC Black edition, Cable matters 2M TB3 cable. LG 5k Ultrafine display.

Hardware pictures: I tend to hassle people for pics but im not posting any of this one as I have already nuked my Bootcamp partition and I'm using the same bits from my other set up.

Installation steps: Oh boy... the hardest part of this was getting bootcamp to work! It failed multiple times and in the end I had to use an older version of windows then go through all the upgrades to get to 1709 build, which took some time. Nvidia Geforce experience also failed to instal drivers so I had to instal them separately through a normal download. After all that faff it was good to go, no error 12, no script or DDST (or whatever it is) edit needed. My windows boot was odd too, it claimed I had 2 instals, and I selected one from a screen I had never seen before after selecting Windows boot in macOS boot loader. I plugged the eGPU in on the macOS boot loader screen and then selected Windows partition which is slightly different to my 2017 MBP 13".

Benchmarks: Couldn't get games to run on the 1070, tried disabling the 455 but when I reenabled it black screened and I wasn't able to fix. Windows was running but nothing was driving the display, which is odd as I still had a picture when it was disabled and only the 1070 enabled, but reenabling caused it to crap out...

Comments: Lost the will to live so didn't test, writing this up incase someone else finds any part of this experience helpful.

This topic was modified 4 months ago

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

So, coming back to this and bumping it.

I tried to start wit ha fresh Windows instal but that went wrong leaving me with disk space I can not remove or reuse.
Terminal screen grab attached. disk0s4 is the issue, it was created by Bootcamp Assistant and allegedly has a few mb of data on it which can't be erased by Bootcamp Assistant.

I know its possible to instal W10 manually but I like the idea of the simplest solution so finding a way round this would be great, if anyone has any solution?

I have Googled removing partitions in Terminal and not 100% sure the answers I have found apply directly to my case so quite nervous about nuking my entire machine (it has no back up).

Screenshot 2019 02 20 at 09.12.37

---

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

@eightarmedpet You would have to nuke disk0s3disk0s4, and disk0s5 which all seem to be remnants of a failed Bootcamp install to get your space back. Deleting these disks via Terminal should be sufficient, but to be certain, what I would do is erase these disks first to some default type (say HFS, APFS, or exFAT). This step would be non-destructive and you would be able to see all 3 disks in Finder. Then delete these disks from Disk Utility app (click on partition -> select disk -> minus button). If you want to use the command line for the latter, you would have to unmount and resize. UI option seems easier and clearer for most after erasing (using diskutil eraseDisk command - should have tons of examples if you google). We don't want to touch Container disk1 directly as it has your macOS install.

Reference output for correctly configured bootcamp:

This post was modified 8 months ago

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.shautomate-eGPU EFI Installer
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + RX 5700 XT (Mantiz Venus)

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

@mac_editor thanks for the reply! I assumed (the biggest mistake ever always) that the OSXRESERVED partition was part of macOS instal and therefor not deletable. Removing that partition and then the Untitled one worked, so I'm back to having a nice clean disk to start setting up.

---

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

@eightarmedpet Good to hear you resolved the issue. A guesstimate as to what that reserved partition is: probably what Bootcamp  Assistant uses for the Windows installer (instead of a pen drive).

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.shautomate-eGPU EFI Installer
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + RX 5700 XT (Mantiz Venus)

ReplyQuote