Setup & Software Discussions
2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP455) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakawa...

2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP455) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 350) + Win10 [JazzKnight]  

RSS

JazzKnight
(@jazzknight)

Hey everyone, I have been posting on the forums but it seems I figured out what works for my setup haha. This setup allows you to run an eGPU to an external monitor (internal monitor will not work), attached SSD for games, and use a controller for said games.

Specs:
- Late-2016 15-inch MacBook Pro Touchbar
- Intel i7-6820HQ 2.7ghz Quad Core
- Intel HD Graphics 530 + AMD Radeon Pro 455
- MacOs 10.14.2 + Windows 10 (1803)

eGPU Hardware:
- Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 350w
- EVGA Nvidia GTX 1080 Founder's Edition
- Belkin 1.5ft TB3 Cable.

Monitor:
- Dell SD2716G (2560 X 1440 144hz monitor with G-Sync)

Peripherals:
- Samsung 850 Pro SSD in Vantec NexstarNX enclosure
- 3ft USB-C to Micro-B cable
- Xbox One Controller (Scropio Edition) with Xbox One Micro USB Cable (attached with a USB-A to USB-C Adapter). 

Pictures coming soon. Essentially I have an eGPU, external SSD and controller all working.

Installation steps:  I'm just going to bullet point how I got this all working.

1. Fresh install of MacOS Mojave
      2. Format SSD for NTFS (I have purchased NTFS for Mac but I'm sure it should work if you format the drive to FAT32 and format NTFS later).
      3. Install Windows via Bootcamp using the April 1803 .iso and install bootcamp drivers
      4. Connect eGPU to top right TB3 Port, connect SSD to bottom right TB3 port, connect Xbox One controller with cable to bottom left TB3 port.
      5. Device Manager - System Devices - Disable PCIe controller 1905 and reboot (leave all components plugged in)
      6. NVidia Drivers auto-install, reboot again.
      7. Enjoy!

I don't have benchmarks yet. I'm installing Steam. The Xbox Accessories App shows the controller is responding and fully functional. As you noticed, I did not need to run any scripts or modify anything else. Several reboots(including to MacOs and back to Windows via boot drive selector) have been successful with everything plugged in and no changes.

I hope it does work out, I want a simple setup for gaming and working in MacOS. I may switch to a Vega 64 to get the benefits of both sides. For now, I hope this helps some of you.

Update (few hours after original post):
Disabled internal GPU to force external GPU use on Steam. Ran Jurassic World Evolution at Ultra (2560 X1440) and hit a consistent 40fps. Same result when going down to 1080 (more like 50fps)

All TB ports functional as USB ports, I added a 7.1 USB sound card to work with my sound system. Plugged it in while everything was on, no BSOD or crash. I'm gathering some uniengine valley benchmarks.

Update: 02-25-2018
I realized my Sonnet eGFX box only provides 15w of power. Iplugged in an OWC USB-C Travel hub to the bottom left side port to connect my sound card, controller, and power cable to the hub. Framerates were steadier on JPW but not much higher. Rocket League had a steady 130fps on highest settings. I am now using the Apple 1.5ft TB3 Cable to ensure 100W power transfer (when it’s available) and ordered a Razer Core X to simplify this setup. 

Also, on reboot this morning, the Radeon 455 in the device manage was disabled but a Default Microsoft Windows Driver allows the MacBooks display to function still. I may disable it later and see if I get any GPU boost. I find it hard to believe the GTX 1080 is powering my internal screen as well with my current configuration.

This topic was modified 6 months ago

Late-2016 15" MacBook Pro. MacOs 10.14 and Windows 10. Sonnet Breakaway Box 350w, NVidia GTX 1080

ReplyQuote
JazzKnight
(@jazzknight)

Update:

Ghost Recon Wildlands Benchmark:

Very high settings (2560 X1440) 47.91 FPS
Ultra (2560 X 1440p) 32.39

Bluetooth was not working on Windows on my Mac before, now it is. Not sure why... No updates or anything have occurred as far as I'm aware.

Late-2016 15" MacBook Pro. MacOs 10.14 and Windows 10. Sonnet Breakaway Box 350w, NVidia GTX 1080

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

Ghost Recon really is a heavy game to run! Would have thought you would have scored higher than that though... I get around 30-45 (I think, must double check) with my Vega 56 and 2017 13inch with a TB3 monitor being run like an internal (no direct GPU connection).

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote