2011 15" Acer 5750G GT630M + [email protected] (PE4C 3.0) + Win10 [drtoothy]^  

RSS

drtoothy
(@drtoothy)
May 19, 2017 8:16 am  

Hello !
I am coming from ... the other "site" and wanted to also share here my implementation guide.
I will just copy-paste and mark last edits/updates as I go from time to time at the bottom of this post.
Thanks nando4 for this software and good luck with this new website !

Hi !

First of all, thank you for all the informations posted around the forum and to this great community ! 

So, here is my succesful setup :

• Notebook 15" Acer Aspire 5750G
  • Intel Core i5-2450M

• 15.6" HD LED LCD

• 8 GB DDR3 RAM

• Windows 7 64bit

• Nvidia GeForce GT 630M (dGPU)

• Intel HD Graphics 3000 (iGPU)

• Gygabite Windforce GTX 750 TI OC2 2GB DDR5 RAM (eGPU)

• PE4C-PM060A V3.0 Gen3 (mPCIe)

• Segotep SG-D600 (ATX power supply)

• eGPU Setup 1.3x (nando4)

Some pictures first to show the hardware setup : http://postimg.org/gallery/i20gkbj6/  

Hardware installation was easy.

TIP : Although a great adapter build, DO NOT force cables, slots etc... Have patience ! 

As you can see in the pictures, I had some trouble :

• cable direction is right towards mouse
  • I had to cut a piece from my laptop to make room around mPCIe slot
  • improvised higher stand for laptop to make room for the cable
  • did not figure out how to make a confortable DYI case, yet 

eGPU setup 1.3x  :

• check all hardaware is connected and ATX is set ON
  • boot into BIOS > set video from "switchable" to "integrated"
  • reboot
  • boot into DIY eGPU Setup 1.3x
  • choose 3rd option with menu-based
  • startup.bat > Reset
  • Chainloader > use mbr
  • PCIe ports > hot reset port > nvidia
  • PCIe ports > Gen2 link > nvidia (you should see a change in the right table : the alloc size goes from 128 to 512)
  • PCIe compactation > endpoint > 56 25GB 36bit
  • PCIe compactation > Run compact > eGPU > none
  • startup.bat > test run
  • chainloader > test run > win7 

Benchmark :

• internal display used
  • CPU hyperthreading enabled
  • 3dmark might be inaccurate due to the warning from pictures
  • GPU-z confirms x2 link speed
  • Currently I play WOT, GTA 5 and they work flawless with at least high settings 

All in all, it does the trick and I am very satisfied with it.

Most important, Acer temperature problem disappeared.

On load, now I have max 55 Celsius on CPU and 44 Celsius on eGPU. 

Good luck !

Last edit 2016:

Just some update on what I have noticed. 

1. On every boot you should :

• go to DIY eGPU Setup
  • choose "menu-based" option
  • PCIe ports > Gen2 link > nvidia (you should see a change in the right table : the alloc size goes from 128 to 512)
  • startup.bat > test run
  • chainloader > test run > win7
  • I always open Device Manager and GPU-Z to see if any problems occur 

I do this because the gen 2 link retraining is neccesary every time. 

2. Sometimes my laptop kind of "forgets" about the eGPU. Not sure why, but rarely happens.

To check if eGPU is still functional do this :

• check Device Manager for any problems on display
  • open GPU-Z
    • you might notice some of the options/informations are grayed out
    • if so, go to Device Manager and disable/enable eGPU display.

UPDATE mid 2016 

I managed to damage my PSU with ...water :))

Luckly, PE4C and 750 Ti ar still working. (tested with other PSU) 

I see on nvidia site and other sites that benchmark/test stuff that 750 Ti uses ~70 W. 

Soo, can I buy a PSU with under 400 W ? (Logically yes, but ..)

Answer from Arbystrider :

Note that low-wattage PSUs tend to also have terrible power quality and voltage ripple. 

That, and are probably safety hazards. 

If you must buy a low-wattage PSU, find a used Delta PSU on your local classifieds. They sometimes come as part of a prebuilt low-power system. You should be able to find a 280W one. 

But at that point you might as well just spend the extra $10 or whatever and get a decent used Coolermaster or Antec.

My temporary-permanent "solution" since then ... :))

Thank you for your advice.
Now I have a really old PSU I borrowed with 350 W, ATX 1, no power ON/OFF switch :))
Those from that site are cheap, low power, but in their description I find lots of protections.
I will see when I will get some money.

Update 19.05.2017

So here we are after about 1 year and all looks good so far with my setup.

I still haven't changed PSU, but there seems to be no problems although I take the cable off from it when I leave home for ..safety reasons :))

I do not have a boxfor it so I just cover the setup with a laptop wrap and clean with a small soft brush.

Games tested so far with medium to high settings:

• World of Tanks
  • Rocket League
  • GTA 5
  • Total War: Warhammer
  • Resident Evil 7
  • Dishonored 2
  • Sniper Elite 4
  • Sniper Ghost Warrior 3
  • Prey

Update 22.05.2017

I cannot edit main post so here it goes : Succesfully DSDT win7 36 bit with Setup 1.3x

my DSDT override is at https://egpu.io/public-repository-egpu-dsdt-overrides/

- followed steps from here -> https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/fix-dsdt-override-to-correct-error-12/

- I used Intel Method

--- it was enough for me this step, but you should check other steps from Pre-requisite requiremets : https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/fix-dsdt-override-to-correct-error-12/#post-734

- First i got black screen after chainloading SO I had to use step 1 from FAQ section with Force allocate the eGPU into 36-bit PCI space

Succes pictures from Device Manager and GPU-Z : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7TzsuTSEEjBMHFLeWczbE9sZmc/view?usp=sharing

Now I see the whole system working faster.

Update 18.12.2017

I moved to window 10 build on 2.12.2017 and used eGPU settings from 1st post = all is good
Also after initial eGPU setup you guys can use 2nd option from menu with automated startup at boot.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
aeonia
(@aeonia)
May 21, 2017 12:46 pm  

Hi, I want to do this for my  ivy-bridge Acer v3 571G and was wondering whether the 4Gbps limit bottlenecks the Nvidia 1050Ti in  any way? Also where does this limitation come from and why is it only limited to cpu's below SkyLake

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
drtoothy
(@drtoothy)
May 22, 2017 5:51 pm  

@aeonia : well...there is a limitation of course.

My 750Ti works with Gen3, but on my bridge I can only have Gen2 so yeah ..there is. Idk how, maybe nando4 can answer that 😀
But, from my point of view, still beats the crap out of iGPU and dGPU and as you can see in my post, I can run most current games at decent details.

aeonia liked
ReplyQuote
DeltaLima
(@deltalima)
May 30, 2017 12:33 am  

Thx @drtoothy and @nando4 For their work! With that I was able to get my Acer Aspire 5750G (with GT540m onboard) running wiht my GTX570 eGPU, powered by the EXP GDC Beast 8.4d Adapter - Hurray!

I followed step by step droothy's guide he provided in this thread. Works like a charm. It is definitely necessary  to use the eGPU Setup 1.35. I bought it from nando, and the 15 bucks are a very good investment!

As a tip: I created my own DSDT and tried to use droothy's.. Both works very well. Also i DONT need to turn ATX Power on on the adapter. Sleep and awake works. I use the eGPU now as primary display (my aspire hos no laptopscreen anymore and nvidia optimus eats to muchs power). Only thing is, that i get an image when windows is booted up. But with the guide from nando to automate eGPU Setup at startup, everything is fine and full usable.

I use my setup as gaming console "alternative". As already told, the display is disassambled and with it's i5 on it with 8GB ram it runs very well GTA IV , Serious Sam 3 on ULTRA Settings (getting around 35 fps @720p) and World of Warcraft :p

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
December 18, 2017 8:58 pm  

@drtoothy, I added your updated to your opening post. As for eGPU Setup 1.3x usage questions, I support that software via email.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + macOS 10.14 & Win10

xerman liked
ReplyQuote