2015 15" Lenovo Thinkpad P50 M1000M + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node) + Win10 [VisViva]  

RSS

VisViva
(@visviva)
Eminent Member
May 10, 2018 6:48 pm  

System Specs

2015 Lenovo P50 15.6" i7-6700HQ Quadro M1000M
Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17134.48]

eGPU hardware

Akitio Node
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Elite
Akitio original cable (0.5m 40Gbps rated)
I leave the enclosure open for ventilation, and the integrated fan is unplugged as it's noisy

Hardware Pictures

Installation Steps

1. Plug
  2. and
  3. Play

It's astonishingly simply to use! Everything is totally functional out-of-box. There are however few tweaks i did in order to further improve its usability

1. i disabled the dGPU (Quadro M1000M) in device manager, and so the eGPU will be considered the first GPU. This allows GeForce Experience and EVGA Precision XOC to find the GPU. Otherwise they would consider my system not having the 1080 Ti. Also it appears that doing so would improve gaming performance as explained in the 3DMark results later.

2. i used nvidia profile inspector ( https://github.com/Orbmu2k/nvidiaProfileInspector) to set v-sync option to fast sync. Somehow the fast sync option is missing from the nvidia control panel, as i can only see on/off in the drop down menu. By using this third-party tool, i can see that it removes the picture tear in many games.

Benchmark

CUDA-Z bandwidth

As for 3D mark, i ran the default benchmark option for

• Fire Strike,
  • Fire Strike Ultra,
  • Time Spy. 

Each item was ran twice with slight different setups:

• with all 3 GPUs enabled as default (Intel HD 530, Quadro M1000M, GeForce 1080Ti), and 2 external monitors turned on, the internal monitor turned off
  • with only the eGPU enabled, other GPUs disabled with device manager, and only 1 external monitor is turned on, the internal monitor turned off

• Fire Strike 1.1
    • All GPU enabled: 11721
      • graphics 17836
      • physics 6992
      • combined 4602
    • only eGPU enabled: 13968
      • graphics 20544
      • physics 9125
      • combined 5363
  • Fire Strike Ultra 1.1
    • all GPUs enabled: 6071
      • graphics 6283
      • physics 8968
      • combined 3497
    • only eGPU enabled: 6101
      • graphics 6307
      • physics 9067
      • combined 3516
  • Time Spy 1.0
    • all GPUs enabled: 5756
      • graphics 7288
      • CPU 2628
    • only eGPU enabled: 6963
      • graphics 8346
      • CPU 3592

Comments

I only got it set up 2 days ago, so i haven't been able to test many things. but there are some immediate findings.

• YouTube looks great, especially with high resolution and high frame rate. my dGPU cannot even handle [email protected] without dropping like a third of the frames, whereas the eGPU does [email protected] smoothly without noticeable issue. 

• My laptop is a lot cooler and quieter. With both monitor and the internal LCD turned on, it used to be quite warm and noisy. Now i barely hear anything. the eGPU fan won't run until it get warm with loads, so most of the time the eGPU stays quiet.
  • CPU is quite limiting in many games, as i have to turn down certain settings in order to get a happy 60 fps. It takes time and iterations before finding the optimal settings for a game to my preference. Pictures look BEAUTIFUL
  • Certain game is not working well with my system. age of empires 2 HD on steam is constantly giving me 20~21 fps. 
  • rise of tomb raider, GTA V can have maxed out settings (except AA/super sampling) at about 25fps average
  • portal 2 gives 200+ fps with max settings (except AA/super sampling)
  • I am going to throw in a better PSU. I actually just spotted a nice deal for one and purchased it earlier today. 
  • I am seriously thinking about getting a g-sync monitor

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

nando4 and theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
FJFG84
(@fjfg84)
May 11, 2018 4:03 pm  

It looks really good! Yes, I'm also surprised, how eGPU is actually true Plug&Play 😂.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
SE12897
(@se12897)
Trusted Member
May 12, 2018 5:02 pm  

Wow the dGPU can't handle youtube at 4k60? even the Intel HD620 can handle 8k60 no problem. Interesting. 

I'm wondering if your dGPU doesn't support the new youtube codecs so it's offloading to the CPU. Now that you have a top of the line GPU, it can handle the new codec in it's decoding engine. Sweet 😉

ReplyQuote
VisViva
(@visviva)
Eminent Member
June 3, 2018 4:23 am  

with everything being default and chrome, my laptop cannot do youtube [email protected] by itself: about have of frames are dropped. I haven't dig into why. maybe the browser is using the wrong GPU (Quadro M1000M, aka GeForce 750Ti, instead of intel iGPU)

anyway, the dGPU doing [email protected] is truly amazing

ReplyQuote