2016 15" MacBook Pro 455 + [email protected] (Sonnet Breakaway 350) + Win10  

RSS

Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member
March 2, 2018 8:57 am  

System specs:  2016 15" MacBook Pro 455

eGPU hardware:  Sonnet Breakaway box, EVGA GTX 1070 SSC Black edition, Cable matters 2M TB3 cable. LG 5k Ultrafine display.

Hardware pictures: I tend to hassle people for pics but im not posting any of this one as I have already nuked my Bootcamp partition and I'm using the same bits from my other set up.

Installation steps: Oh boy... the hardest part of this was getting bootcamp to work! It failed multiple times and in the end I had to use an older version of windows then go through all the upgrades to get to 1709 build, which took some time. Nvidia Geforce experience also failed to instal drivers so I had to instal them separately through a normal download. After all that faff it was good to go, no error 12, no script or DDST (or whatever it is) edit needed. My windows boot was odd too, it claimed I had 2 instals, and I selected one from a screen I had never seen before after selecting Windows boot in macOS boot loader. I plugged the eGPU in on the macOS boot loader screen and then selected Windows partition which is slightly different to my 2017 MBP 13".

Benchmarks: Couldn't get games to run on the 1070, tried disabling the 455 but when I reenabled it black screened and I wasn't able to fix. Windows was running but nothing was driving the display, which is odd as I still had a picture when it was disabled and only the 1070 enabled, but reenabling caused it to crap out...

Comments: Lost the will to live so didn't test, writing this up incase someone else finds any part of this experience helpful.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touchbar + [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win10
2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + [email protected] (Sonnet Breakaway Box) + Win10

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + GTX1070 (debating 2070 upgrade) @32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V1) + Win10

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + Vega 56 @32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V1) + Win10 & macOS 10.14+

---
LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote