2016 15" Macbook Pro RP455 + 1080TI-FTW3 EVGA @32Gbps-TB3 (Akitio Node) + Win 10 Pro & macOS 10.13.2 [Frozenranger]  

RSS

frozenranger
(@frozenranger)
January 17, 2018 11:31 pm  

Dear EGPU community!

Thank you so much for all the guides. My setup was very easy thanks to you guys. I did spent months researching how to do this and now the setup is complete and it is tight as *#@*!

I couldn’t have done it without the support from this community. Thank you everyone!

So here’s what I did:

Preparation of Windows, macOS and enclosure and it's firmware

I did fresh install of win 10 pro 1709 version and got all the windows updates and apple software updates first!

First install thunder bolt 3 drivers in windows (Bus driver! NOT controller driver. @itsage has made this clear that the new thunder bolt controller firmware doesn’t work for some reason and we must use the older thunder bolt bus drivers instead. Don’t worry it works flawlessly!!!)

After you install the bus driver, restart

Then update the Akitio node firmware from the akitio site.

Now your node is ready for the GPU and you can install the GPU now. It was abit tricky to fit this large GPU in the case but after about (30 mins – 1 hr) I had it securely in place and ready for full on gaming. You should use a screw driver (philips) to make everything tight because for some reason my thumb screws came loose, but after the screw driver it was mint and has remained mint!

Note: I have the FTW3 by EVGA 1080ti which comes factory overclocked and it is absolutely amazing! and Fits no problem in the Akitio node, I have about 1 inch of space between the card and front fan. 

macOS 10.13.2

I already have been using my Macbook pro 15″ 2016 RP455 for almost a year so I was worried that I may have messed up the configuration files or something but apparently not!

macOS install:

1. Update to 10.13.2 (However for some reason I can only update to version 1788 not 1789, so my nvidia web driver is only the .102 not the .103?? Not sure why I can’t get to 1789, maybe because I’m from Canada? region difference?)

2. Anyways, just follow the steps that are provided by people using the akitio node and mbp 2015 15″.

3. enable csrutil in terminal and restart

4. download and install the nvidia web driver from the links provided by egpu.io section

5. disable csrutil and restart

6. install the egpu app for your web driver (also provided by egpu.io right beside the link for the web driver) and restart

7. login to your account

8. Now plug in the egpu (I used left side port closest to me) and turn it on

9. For me I need to let the egpu warm up for about 10 seconds before I log out

10. log out of your account. (move the mouse to not let the computer goto sleep or black screen.... I have had problems with that)

11. Now your external monitor should be working or after you log in it will start working

12. login

13. enjoy your egpu! Note: closed clam works for me and all ports work for me and I don’t need to have a USB plugged into the port beside the egpu port. Both left and right sides work. Hot plugging does not work.....

Windows 10 Pro EGPU setup

This was also easy and no problem! I was expecting a brutal time but it was too easy. And don’t fear the intel method with test signing mode enable DSDT fix! ITS SO EASY! I highly recommend this method. I also didn’t use rFIND! just the DSDT override. My mac needs this override otherwise it won't boot into windows with egpu plugged in. It just crashes on windows loading screen

1. I went the DSDT override route because I didn’t want to loose H2D bandwidth! (I get x22 H2D in windows 10 and 1450mb/s H2D in macOS 10.13.2) I was lucky because mgear already had a DSDT modified dsl file for my system (2016 15′ mbp rp455) dope!! . So I made my own dsdt file, then applied his syntax error fixes to my dsdt file and loaded it up no problem! Audio works and everything, no need to use bat file fix!! Sick!

2. just follow the steps for the “Intel method” and enable test signing. Thankfully all my games work with test signing enabled. I think rainbow six doesn’t work with it enable?? Anyways CSGO, black desert online, SC2 all work flawlessly. Stupid battle eye needs it.... 🙁 Hopefully they change one day... or we get a stable clover mod working

3. restart and hold down option key

4. once in boot selection menu, plug in egpu (left side, port closest to you) and wait about 10-15 seconds before pressing enter

5. select windows boot and press enter

6. login

7. goto nvidia website and download the latest drivers for your gpu

8. install drivers

9. your external monitor should come online now!

10. restart the computer, make sure you enter windows boot again. Keep egpu plugged in (for me I don’t need to unplug for windows restarts! nice eh!!)

11. comp starts up and external monitor comes online just after the windows symbol and the spinning dots finish. the mbp monitor remains off and I only use the external monitor. Which is ideal for me because i bought the dell u2417h and thus save battery life (some games actually drain battery even with the charger but with the mbp monitor off, and getting dual power input from the egpu and mbp power supply I have no problems gaming for days on end :p :p

Comments

Thanks everyone! I will post benchmarks soon. But I get around 120 fps avg in unigine heaven 4.0 in windows and about 40-50 fps in macOS!!!

Edit: basically every game runs over 60fps on max settings other than tomb raider rise of the tomb... I think that game just has issues....

I also bought the 2m “cable matters” thunderbolt 3 cable and it works no problem! I get 22x H2D

Also I may be getting some dx12 issues.... not sure.... I can run with dx12 enabled but I get a weird lag in tom clancy's division.... In dx 11 no problem!

Merry Christmas

Frozenranger

P.S.

for some reason in macOS i’m only getting around 1450 MiB/s H2D in cuda z. I'm using high sierra 1788, nvidia web driver 102. Not a big deal since windows is still working flawlessly @ 22x H2D. Do I have to modify the ktext or something in macOS to get 22x or did @itsage say that macOS throttles nvidia cards down to this bandwidth? I think the plan was to protest against Apple for doing this right?

Update: 3/13/2018

I put my mbp to sleep in windows 10. It only can stay asleep for about 30 seconds before turning on again with egpu pulled in. However all seemed normal. Later I turned off the computer and went to bed. The next day however, windows 10 failed to detect the egpu. I reinstalled thunder bolt drivers and akitio node firmware. I uninstalled the nvidia display driver then tried to reinstall it but it wouldn't reinstall because it couldn't detect my gpu. I restarted the computer a dozen times trying to hot plug the thunder bolt cable but nothing was working. I then decided to put the computer to sleep again... with thunder bolt plugged in. I woke the computer up and still no display or egpu functionality. I then tried wen to the DDU website to try to uninstall all the nvidia software.... As soon as the website loaded, windows notified me that new hardware was detected and my nvidia control panel starting working again but still no external display or gpu lights or fans, but the card was present in device manager. I then tried to install the display drivers and still no luck. I restarted my computer again and....... IT WORKED! external display came on and gpu lights and fans came back online. I went into my control panel and it appeared that the nvidia display driver was installed. CUDA Z reports the correct H2D bandwidth and driver version. Everything appears to be working normally again. 

In conclusion.... don't sleep your mbp in windows 10 if you have an egpu..... But in all honest, just get Dan Case and do a full gaming PC build, enough of this ridiculous troubleshooting on macs to try and make games work...... I know it would be nice.... I even bought all this gear because I was a firm believer.... but if you really want to game..... just do it properly... save up your money... and get a tight gaming pc in a dan case with a 1080ti.... its smaller than the akitio node by alittle so you can put the entire computer in your backpack and travel the world with your gear just to get your fix at night time like I do. 

Apple.... fuck you... make your shit more compatible and Microsoft please don't honor OEM pcie lanes.... allow the user to configure them please that's the reason why I need to DSDT this build but other OSs don't need to

Thank you everyone... Take care

Stay Frosty 

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

nando4 and theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
kimohno
(@kimohno)
April 13, 2018 9:27 am  

Thanks for sharing your build. I have the exact same Macbook Pro and was looking for a solution. 

I plan on using the MacOS though and your writings are not encouraging. I don't want windows at all. I dont want to play games but render 3D stuff in Cinema 4D with octane render and do heavy work with after effects/premiere pro. 

So would you say the card overall does not work properly on mac osx? I also want to buy the 1080/ti. Also does the Akio note charge your macbook? It does not as fas as i know. Thanks for your time!

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote