2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP455) [6th,4C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X ...

Notifications
Clear all

2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP455) [6th,4C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1909 [Ritero]  

of  3
  RSS

Ritero
(@ritero)

First time poster, but I wanted to post here as a thank you to @itsage and others (@nando4, @goalque, @mgear1981) for the excellent setup guides and files. Without you guys I'd be just running this eGPU on OSX.

System specs:

2016 15" MacBook Pro - i7-I7-6820HQ/HD Graphics 530 iGPU & Radeon Pro 455 dGPU/16GB [email protected] LDPDDR3/500GB SSD

eGPU hardware

Razer Core X Chroma + Sapphire Pulse 5700 XT + 0.7m Thunderbolt 3 cable + Eizo ColorEdge CS2730 + HDMI cable

Hardware pictures:

Can't attach (shame, the Core X Chroma and 5700 XT is very pretty, I keep catching myself staring at it)

Installation steps:

OSX

Plug and play for the eGPU.

To get the ethernet cable to work in OSX, I needed to install AX88179 OSX v10.15 above Drivers Installer, v2.16.0 from the Asix website. Drivers linked on the Razer website did not work and would drop out.

I then needed to go into System Preferences > Network > AX88179 USB 3.0 to Ethernet > Advanced Settings > Hardware and change settings to:

Configure: Manually / Speed: 100base TX / Duplex: full-duplex, flow-control / MTU: Standard (1500)

Has worked stably ever since, and my internet speed is fine (I am on a 50Mb connection), however I am obviously not getting the local network speeds I would get on a 1000Mb connection as a result.

Windows

Following similar steps (and using this guide as a template, copy/pasting steps followed) to @itsage's excellent guide here for a similar build:

This MacBook Pro is currently running Windows 10 Fall Update (OS Build 18363.448), I have also disabled PCIE Root Controller 1901 to the Radeon Pro 455 dGPU in order to resolve Error 12.

I did have a few issues (my first eGPU install, and first use of BootCamp) so I will detail the additional steps taken here, otherwise the steps are copy/pasted from the @itsage's guide above.

Benchmarks

None.

Comments:

The second time I booted up, the internal display did not connect, not sure why. The external display was running fine through the 5700 XT. I ran gpu-switch-integrated.bat again and restarted and it worked fine.

It is critical to follow all of the steps above! I had errors at first and skipped the ones that I had errors on. It caused hanging when trying to log in to Windows using EFI, which forced me to do a hard shutdown to recover. The first time I skipped the gpu-switch-integrated.bat after multiple issues getting error codes (missing dll), before noting I needed to install the x86 version of C++ rather than the x64 version, this resolved the problem.

I also missed the modification to config.plst step until I dug into the forum post by @goalque.

I now see no errors starting up provided I run the EFI startup to log in to Windows each time. If I don't, I see Error 12 and the secondary display does not work.

I have no benchmarks, but I spent a couple of 3+ hour sessions playing The Witcher III: Wild Hunt on 1440p Ultra settings (Card otherwise standard). It runs flawlessly so far, though I am only early into the game. Occasionally there is a slight stall upon a cut-scene starting, but these always resolve quickly.

The Sapphire Pulse 5700 XT runs quite cool, never seeming to go much above 55C. Fan is quiet and unobtrusive.

The Eizo monitor is gorgeous but it is meant for photo editing. It has very high colour accuracy and wide gamut with 99% Adobe RGB coverage, but the refresh rate is quite low at 60Hz and 10ms response time. It works OK for The Witcher, but it is not a gaming monitor, I expect I'll see some tearing at some point.

I'm using 2 of the USB ports on the Razer Core X Chroma but at this stage, only for charging a mouse and iPad/iPhone/AirPods. They seem to work fine in both Windows and macOS.

Ethernet works fine at 1000mbps in Windows with standard built-in drivers, I did not have to do any special installations, this was plug and play.

Speakers on the MBP are quiet at full volume in Windows, haven't tried to fix that yet.

Overall loving the setup now it's done. I love having the Core X Chroma act as a USB hub and charger, and only needing to plug in one TB3 cable to do everything.

This topic was modified 4 months ago

2016 15" MacBook Pro - I7-6820HQ/HD Graphics 530 iGPU & Radeon Pro 455 dGPU/16GB RAM/500GB SSD (Win10 1909 Build & OSX 10.15.4 Catalina)
Razer Core X Chroma + Sapphire Pulse 5700 XT + Eizo ColorEdge CS2730

2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP455) [6th,4C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1909 [build link]  

goalque and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@ritero, Welcome aboard and thank you for sharing this excellent build! Regarding the 2016 15-in MacBook Pro and internal display attachment to iGPU, I've found the first boot after switching from macOS tend to hang Windows at the logo and spinning circles. I usually disconnect the eGPU in that first boot to let Windows complete booting then restart with eGPU connected and all is well.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX 5600 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (VisionTek mini eGFX) + macOS 11 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Ritero
(@ritero)

Thanks for the tip @itsage. I am actually not finding that it is hanging anymore, though I am finding now that the first time I boot, the main screen is dark but the external display on the eGPU works fine.

If I run the gpu-switch-integrated.bat file then restart, it works.

I only use Windows for gaming, so this doesn't bother me so much, it's actually less distracting having the laptop screen off.

I did switch the external display connected to the eGPU to the 'main display', with the laptop acting as the secondary display, because otherwise the games were running on the laptop screen when loaded. I wonder if this is why I see different behaviour at startup.

I've just connected an external HDD (1TB Western-Digital G-Drive Mobile USB-C) via a USB-A to USB-C connector to the Core X Chroma. It connects fine, but transfer speeds are very slow, it appears to be operating in USB-2.0 or even 1.0 mode. I had been using this as USB-C to USB-C previously and it was working well. It might be a cable issue, I'm using a cable intended to charge my headphones... will explore more and update.

I'm planning to buy a 1TB USB 3.0 external SSD tomorrow for gaming, to have a true 1 plug solution.

2016 15" MacBook Pro - I7-6820HQ/HD Graphics 530 iGPU & Radeon Pro 455 dGPU/16GB RAM/500GB SSD (Win10 1909 Build & OSX 10.15.4 Catalina)

2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP455) [6th,4C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1909 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Ritero
(@ritero)

USB-C to USB-A speed on the G-Drive was definitely a cable issue, fixed with a USB 3.1 rated USB-C to USB-A cable from Cygnett.

Also installed a Seagate 1TB Expansion SSD USB-A on USB-3.0 to act as my Games drive.

Both running through the rear USB-A ports on the Razer Core X Chroma and both running very fast with good transfer speeds. Installed 3 games on to the SSD yesterday - WoW, Diablo III and Halo Master Chief Collection. Haven't run any of them yet, will report back.

Witcher III is installed to the MacBook's internal SSD.

I'm having bluetooth problems now that I'm trying to fix. Mouse and headphones not connecting in Windows. Bluetooth seems to see them, but can't connect.

ReplyQuote
Ritero
(@ritero)

Well after many hours chasing bluetooth issues, I finally have it solved, thanks to this reddit.

In short, I need to cold-boot Windows rather than restarting from MacOS. I can't say why this is, or why it works, but it does appear to work. Shut down, wait 3-4 seconds for caching to clear, then start up again.

ReplyQuote
Chenlin Lu
(@chenlin_lu)

@ritero,Hi, I followed the exact procedure you offered. Everything went well until the last step "Boot into Windows via automate-eGPU EFI [boot selection]". When I boot into  win10 using automate-eGPU with e-GPU plugged in, the inner display stuck at the windows logo and the external display didn't show any response. It seems that  the win 10 started up normally except for the "display showing problem", since I plugged another USB and the beep sound rose. When I pressed the power button it got into sleep mode and got back to the previous state when I  pressed it again. Without displays, I  am unable to install driver for e-GPU. Could you please help me?

By the way, the automate-eGPU EFI showed that "no eGPU detected". 

The hardware is exact the same with yours.

Thank in advance.

2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP455) (6th,4C,H) + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1909

ReplyQuote
Ritero
(@ritero)

Hi @chenlin_lu,

Mine also shows no eGPU detected, every time. I am not sure why, but it doesn't seem to be an issue.

I'm no expert, I've only done this once, but I'll do my best. Try 3 steps these in order.

---

1. Try shutting down and booting straight back up into Windows via automate-eGPU EFI.

If this doesn't work:

---

2. Try shutting down, disconnect eGPU and then boot back up into Windows via either automate-eGPU EFI or just directly into Windows via BootCamp.

Run gpu-switch-integrated.bat again as administrator. Make sure no error messages. If you get an error message about a missing DLL, then install the x86 version of 2013 Visual C++ again. Then run gpu-switch-integrated.bat as administrator, you should see no error message.

Restart into Windows via automate-eGPU EFI again and see if it works.

If this doesn't work:

---

3. Go back to Step 3 and repeat these again double checking you have covered every step:

* The drivers you want for Intel HD 530 are these ones: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29465/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers?product=80939

You CAN install these via normal Windows boot loading instead of via the EFI drive if the EFI drive is not working.

** I am pasting the guide here for editing config.plist in EFI/CLOVER just to be sure it is followed correctly:

https://egpu.io/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/automate-eGPU.efi_.zip

Replace the old automate-eGPU.efi and add a new key-value pair into config.plist (under Boot dict) (edit using TextEdit and save):

<key>MacOSVolumeUUID</key>
<string>00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000</string>
The string value is your "Macintosh HD" UUID. To find this, open Terminal and type the following:
diskutil info "Macintosh HD" | grep "Volume UUID"

For the correct location, the section of the string in config.plst under Boot dict should now look like this (new lines added in blue text):

<key>DefaultLoader</key>
<string>boot.efi</string>
<key>MacOSVolumeUUID</key>
<string>your unique Macintosh HD UUID here</string>
<key>DefaultVolume</key>
<string>Preboot</string>

This post was modified 4 months ago

ReplyQuote
Ritero
(@ritero)

Tried out running a game off the USB 3.0 connected SSD today. Ran Halo: Reach.

Loads super fast, no stuttering, and game plays on highest settings at 1440p with no issues.

I am getting some audio stuttering in both Halo and The Witcher III. I am not sure if this is a bluetooth issue or not. Are the AMD RP455 drivers linked to Audio, anyone know?

ReplyQuote
Ritero
(@ritero)

For something a bit more recent, played a bit of Resident Evil 3 today, running on 1440p on the default settings (mostly High everything) and loaded off the SSD attached via USB 3.0 to the Core X Chroma.

Ran really well, game looked great, no stuttering, super fast load times. Happy!

ReplyQuote
Chenlin Lu
(@chenlin_lu)

@ritero, Thanks a lot for your detailed tutorial. Finally, I made it. And I would like to share some tips during the e-GPU setup (2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP455) [6th,4C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1909)

1. Use the TB3 port on the left that is close to the touchpad. If I use the one which is close to the monitor, the error 12 raises even if all the setting is exactly the same.

2. When you switch from macOS to win10, it better to follow these steps otherwise you will stuck at the windows logo: a. shut down the mac in macOS. b. normal boot into the win10 (do not use automate-eGPU.efi). c. run the integrated.bat as Admin and shut down the mac. d. boot into the win10 using automate-eGPU.efi

Still, there is a problem about the e-GPU performance. It seem that the usage percentage e-GPU is quite low although I have changed the setting in battery management to use e-GPU in order to get maximum performance. I could see the fan of the e-GPU does't not alway rotate. I am using the internal display (I don't have an external display home).  When I connected my e-GPU to the TV as an external screen, it seem that e-GPU worked harder and the FPS of the PUBG could reach 120. Is there any good solutions to get a better performance in the internal display?

2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP455) (6th,4C,H) + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1909

ReplyQuote
 of  3