2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP455) [6th,4C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X ...

Notifications
Clear all

2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP455) [6th,4C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1909 [Ritero]  

of  3
  RSS

Ritero
(@ritero)

@chenlin_lu that's interesting, I use the port on the right closest to the monitor.

Your internal display is likely the issue - I run mine on an external display and I think the general consensus is that the eGPU runs much better when connected to an external display. If you are using the internal display, then you have data travelling 2 directions (to & from eGPU) instead of just to eGPU then out to display via HDMI or DisplayPort connection.

The integrated.bat file as I understand it forces the internal display to use the onboard Intel gpu for the internal display rather than the eGPU so this may be a source of your FPS issues and the reason why you are not seeing much GPU usage.

I am sure there are ways to improve internal display usage of eGPU but I do not know them because I don't use it that way.

2016 15" MacBook Pro - I7-6820HQ/HD Graphics 530 iGPU & Radeon Pro 455 dGPU/16GB RAM/500GB SSD (Win10 1909 Build & OSX 10.15.4 Catalina)
Razer Core X Chroma + Sapphire Pulse 5700 XT + Eizo ColorEdge CS2730

2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP455) [6th,4C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1909 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Kaizers808
(@kaizers808)

@ritero, thank you for the detailed walkthrough.

I am a new user here and have a 2016 MacBook Pro 15' (RP450), running Catalina 10.15.4 connected to a Razer Core X and a RX 5700 XT (XFX THICC III) with an external display connected directly to the eGPU.  I am also using the latest Windows 10 version that was automatically downloaded when I installed Windows 10 1909 (current).

I have completed the first three steps so far, up to creating a 100MB FAT partition in Disk Utility, but I am totally lost on the next couple of steps.

Here are my issues so far:

1. I downloaded @mgear1981's 2016 15" MacBook Pro RP455 dsdt-modified.aml and placed the folder in /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/WINDOWS, but there is no dsdt.aml in the WINDOWS folder.  What do I do with the downloaded folder from mgear1981?  Do I rename the folder DSDT.aml?  Or do I simply past all the items in the folder in WINDOWS folder?  Sorry I have no idea what a DSDT.aml is so I don't even know how to complete this step.

2. After using DDU and removing all the Intel and AMD drivers in Windows 10, I then boot into Windows using the automated-eGPU partition (keep in mind my /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/WINDOWS/dsdt.aml step isn't complete because I can't figure out how to do that step) I can't get my Intel Drivers to install for my HD 530 or my AMD Drivers.  Both drivers keep hanging when installing and then I can't boot back into Windows using automated-eGPU partition.  Windows keep hanging on the loading screen when I try to log in using automated-eGPU partition.  I can boot into Windows 10 just fine going directly through bootcamp, but after I fail to install the Intel or the AMD graphic drivers I can't get log in to Windows through automated-eGPU partition.  I have uninstalled and reattempted this step like 5x today and every time it keeps hanging as I try to install the drivers.  To be clear everytime I go to install the graphic drivers I first boot into Windows through the automated-eGPU, which works until I try to install the drivers, then it won't work again until I use DDU to uninstall everything again.

Finally, are all the steps that needs to be completed in Windows done through booting to Windows from the automated-eGPU partition?  Are any of the steps done through bootcamp Windows?

After reading more post I realize that by downgraded Windows 10 to 1903 or one of the earlier versions, it's supposed to solve the error 12 issue as well.  Should I just downgrade my current updated Windows 10 to 1903 or earlier?

Thank you all for all the assistance.  Getting an eGPU running with my MacBook has long been a goal of mine as it would save me from having to buy a Windows computer just for gaming lol.

~Kaizers808

This post was modified 2 months ago

2016 MacBook Pro 15" (RP450), Razer Core X, Radeon RX 5700 XT, Catalina 10.15.4, Windows 10 version 1909.

ReplyQuote
Ritero
(@ritero)

@kaizers808

The issue may be the aml file issue. I'm afraid I don't really know how all this EFI/aml stuff works 'behind the scenes' - I just followed @itsage's advice and did a little forum digging to expand some steps when it didn't work the first time.

1. You'll need a different aml file. That one's for a Radeon 455, the one you want for a 450 can be found here: Apple_2016_late-15in-Macbook-Pro-RP450_theitsage.zip

The download is a zip folder, so open it and look for the file called dsdt-modified.aml. Copy that file into /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/WINDOWS/ and rename the file dsdt.aml. There will already be a dsdt.aml file in there most likely - so delete this first if necessary.

2. Use DDU to clear both Intel and AMD drivers again if you haven't already, start from a clean slate. Make sure you've disabled the auto-update driver feature via DDU as well**. If the automated-eGPU install doesn't work after the above dsdt.aml fix, try booting directly into windows through bootcamp to install instead. For driver installs it shouldn't matter, it really only matters when you are trying to run the eGPU.

**Did you use DDU to disable the automated driver install after removing the AMD and Intel drivers? If not, open DDU and go to Options and tick the box at the bottom called 'Prevent downloads of drivers from "Windows Update" when "Windows" search for a driver for a device. I ran DDU in Safe Mode as well, that might be worth trying if it still doesn't work.

Remember to follow the steps exactly above. Make sure your eGPU is not plugged in to the TB3 port when installing the Intel drivers. Then follow the steps again.

I have no experience with 1903, I've only used 1909 version of Windows so I can't help with that sorry.

This post was modified 2 months ago

2016 15" MacBook Pro - I7-6820HQ/HD Graphics 530 iGPU & Radeon Pro 455 dGPU/16GB RAM/500GB SSD (Win10 1909 Build & OSX 10.15.4 Catalina)

2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP455) [6th,4C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1909 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Kaizers808
(@kaizers808)

@ritero, thank you so much for your response.

I was able to get everything up and running in Windows 10!  Your specific instructions on how to make the dsdt.aml really helped!  The biggest issue was getting the drivers to install.  In order to get the Intel drivers to install, I had to boot through the automated-eGPU.  I also was unable to get the latest version to install fully (windows kept crashing at the end) so I tried the 2nd newest version and that worked.  After I got the Intel drivers to work, I had problems getting the AMD drivers to install as well.  The solutions was for me to specifically install the RX 5700 XT ONLY.  One the specific RX 5700 XT drivers installed the eGPU booted up immediately.

Only issue is my MacBook screen keeps going black and I have to install the gpu-switch integrated.bat again and then do a restart to get the internal display to work.  However, once I restart the MacBook again, the interior screen goes back to black.

I think after messing with my settings some more and feeling really confidant that the eGPU is working well, I may make my own installation tutorial because it seems each MacBook has its own set of little issues.  Ill also post my Heavenly benchmarks (Averaged 61.7 fps on Windows 10 using external display) when I can figure out how to add a photo to these post.

Thank you again @ritero and everyone in the egpu.io community, you have given new life to this 4 year old MacBook lol.

2016 MacBook Pro 15" (RP450), Razer Core X, Radeon RX 5700 XT, Catalina 10.15.4, Windows 10 version 1909.

ReplyQuote
Ritero
(@ritero)

@kaizers808 I have the same issue with the MacBook screen staying black. I've given up on it - I don't use Windows for productivity, only for gaming, so I just use the screen black with the external monitor as my only screen.

AMD drivers worked fine for me though.

Good call on making a tutorial - I did the same thing as I would never have got this far without the advice of others. Great to hear it's working for you!

ReplyQuote
Chenlin Lu
(@chenlin_lu)

@ritero, Hello, recently I got a new problem. Did you tried to use e-GPU in macOS? The external display connected to the e-GPU cannot be  recognized. If I connect the external display through another TB3 prot using an adapter, it works fine. Do you have any ideas about that? Will this cause poor performance?

2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP455) (6th,4C,H) + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1909

ReplyQuote
Ritero
(@ritero)

@chenlin_lu I'm not sure sorry, mine works fine connected to external display in MacOS. Occasionally it doesn't recognise the GPU in MacOS and screen does not turn on but simply unplugging and plugging back in the TB3 cable fixes it.

ReplyQuote
Jens Engels
(@jens_engels)

Hi, @ritero,

These are some great written instructions! Thank you for that, I wish I had only found these when i was figuring all this out :). But reading them back, everything is in there :)! Now, everything is working flawlessly, until i started playing Cod: modern warfare (warzone). Which has huge fps drops while in a warzone battle royal game. I am not sure if its something with my setup or if others have this too. And since we have the same setup, i wanted to ask if you could try this out and see if this is the case with you too? As this is the only game i have issues like that. I have tried many things but am not able to fix this till this day. Thank you

Late 2016 Macbook Pro + Razer Core X + AMD RX 5700 XT

ReplyQuote
Ritero
(@ritero)

@jens_engels I don't have COD:MW but I have heard a lot of users having high CPU usage issues with it. Do you know if you are seeing 100% CPU usage causing the stuttering?

ReplyQuote
Jens Engels
(@jens_engels)

@ritero

I have started a thread over here on reddit about the issue, with video footage etc.. yes so the weird thing is it isn't throttling. I think. The game is free if you ever would wanna try it out.

here is the link to the thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/comments/fp2prj/fps_drops_gpu_usage_drops_in_cod_warzone_rx_5700

I have been breaking my head over this, and I think if this is solvable, other games will run even better too, thing is I have no idea whats causing it? Im starting to think that it’s maybe the ram that is too slow?

Late 2016 Macbook Pro + Razer Core X + AMD RX 5700 XT

ReplyQuote
 of  3