Setup & Software Discussions
2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP455) [6th,4C,H] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node Pro) ...

2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP455) [6th,4C,H] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node Pro) + macOS 10.14.3 & Win10 1903 [magnesiumnitrate] // compare performance to GTX 1080  

RSS

magnesiumnitrate
(@magnesiumnitrate)

First off big thanks to itsage, nando4, and goalque, without their work here I think a lot of us wouldn't have setups at all. 

I'm using a belkin 2m active 40Gbps thunderbolt 3 cable. 

MacOS works on the RX 580 natively, and there was no drama there. 

I followed the build itsage made here to get the RX 580 working first. Using a pre compiled DSDT for my model MacBook.

Hotplugging the RX 580 works on the left TB3 port closest to you. I can boot attached to the right side ports but as soon as I unplug or hotplug I get a BSOD.

Out of curiosity I thought I would see if I could get the 1080 working in the same manner. I didn't bother with DDU. Just booted with the AKiTiO Node Pro & GTX 1080 connected via goalque's automate-eGPU EFI loader and installed standard nvidia drivers right alongside the AMD bootcampdrivers.com drivers. 

The RX 580 works well, I've played a bunch of GTA 5 on the internal screen by manually telling windows to use the high performance card in graphics settings. For my intended use this is perfect as I plan to use the node pro out of town and have no desire to tote around an external display. 

The GTX 1080 benchmarked MUCH better though, and now I'm weighing if its worth it to lose hotplugging for better performance. Will need to do some more testing to make that decision. I'm going to benchmark both and will post some results below.

This topic was modified 1 week ago

2016 15" MacBook Pro 4c 6th
AKiTiO Node Pro
AMD RX 580 Strix or EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Win10 1903 & macOS 14

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
magnesiumnitrate
(@magnesiumnitrate)

As promised I benchmarked and actually recorded this time. There may be something wonky going on with the RX 580, I wouldn't expect the GTX 1080 to bench this much higher considering the bottleneck of the internal display. Will probably hook up an external tomorrow and see what happens.

EVGA Nvidia GTX 1080 FTW

Asus ROG Strix RX 580

heaven1080

valley1080

firestrike1080

timespy1080

heaven580

valley580

firestrike580

timespy1080

This post was modified 1 week ago

AKiTiO Node Pro
Win10 1903 & macOS 14

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Glad to hear you're able to get AMD eGPU going in Boot Camp through hot-plug. I also observed BSOD when hot-unplug after booting into Windows with the eGPU connected. It seems Windows was not prepared for scenario. You can try enabling the Intel iGPU for internal display acceleration through either XConnect or Optimus but it requires a lot more effort and maintenance.

The performance numbers of RX 580 and GTX 1080 look right. Fire Strike is always all over the place so it's hard to compare on those results. It would perform more consistent through an external monitor. Also you can change Tessellation on Heaven to x8 so that it matches the settings in Valley.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
magnesiumnitrate
(@magnesiumnitrate)

@itsage

Yeah the first time I tried to build this out I used the tricks to enable Optimus w/ the iGPU for the 1080. That was without any DTSD overrides though and it was a miserable bitch to try and dual boot. I damn near sold my 15” to buy a 13” when they announced that quad core CPUs we’re coming to them. 

This new solution is much better. 

I’m going to plug up a 4k TV today and see what happens externally. I really don’t feel like breaking down my desk to make room for the laptop. 

On another note, have you made any new progress with the titan ridge AIC on your 5.1? I could never get it working reliably in anything but Win10 and that took multiple boots to get everything enumerated properly. (It was fun to render out some time lapses in davinci with two totally different GPUs though)

edit: also I did discover that using the left side thunderbolt 3 ports I can boot with the eGPU connected without the unplug BSOD. Damn near native on the left port closest to you. 

AKiTiO Node Pro
Win10 1903 & macOS 14

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@magnesiumnitrate I haven't spent time testing TB3 on the Mac Pro tower in a while. It was a proof of concept that Titan Ridge AIC works on the cMP rather than a practical solution atm. I'm hoping the TB3 card from the new Mac Pro would make things easier. 

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote