2016 15" Macbook Pro (RP460) [6th, 4C, H] + RTX 2080 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer C...

Notifications
Clear all

2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP460) [6th, 4C, H] + RTX 2080 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 1909 [khaliq]  

RSS

khaliq
(@khaliq)

I just wanted to thank the community for providing such valuable information and insight. I have posted this build here in order to give back to the community and validate my build.

So far, I have had a great experience with my eGPU setup. I followed a couple different build guides here and, through trial and error, found that the steps below produced the best setup for me with minimal issues. Once installed, getting to use the eGPU is reliable and not too inconvenient. Additionally, this setup has withstood multiple Windows Updates, and I can confidently say that it is worth the inconvenience of install. 

System specs:

2016 15" Macbook Pro -

i7 6920HQ

HD Graphics 530 + Radeon Pro 460 dGPU/16GB RAM/1TB SSD

eGPU hardware

Razer Core X + RTX 2080 Super + Included 0.5m Thunderbolt 3 Cable

Hardware pictures

(don't have enough post history yet to post pictures, but I'll come back and post it!)

Installation steps

After trying many configurations, here's what works well for me:

• Install Windows 10 through Bootcamp Assistant [MacOS]
    • The latest copy, build 1909 works fine
  • Install DDU and remove ALL graphics drivers and disable Windows automated driver installation [Win]
  • Install @goalque's automate-eGPU EFI onto a FAT32 formatted USB drive (just drop the folder contents into the USB root). Copy this modified dsdt.aml file to /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/WINDOWS/dsdt.aml to the USB. [Win] 
    • You might consider creating a FAT32 partition directly on your mac so you don't have to insert a USB whenever you want to use your eGPU
  • Install gpu-switch bat file and run the integrated option as Admin. (You might need Visual C++ 2013) [Win]
  • Disable PCIe Controller x16 -1901 to RP460 dGPU in Device Manager [Win]
  • Let's connect the eGPU. (Hotplug)
    • Go ahead and shut down windows.
    • With your USB storage still attached, boot while holding the option key.
    • Now make sure you're ready to plug in your eGPU thunderbolt cable, just don't plug it in yet: we're going to have to hot plug it to ensure windows picks up the eGPU without any weird issues happening.
    • Select the USB EFI partition. You should now see the EFI menu. Press Q to load the menu. Select to boot into windows using your keyboard.
      • As soon as you do this, go ahead and plug in the eGPU
      • I've noticed that if I'm too early or too late, it won't work. My trick is that I insert the thunderbolt cable halfway in, and push it in as soon as I boot into Windows
  • Confirm that the RTX 2080 Super is visible in device manager. Download and install the official Nvidia drivers and you should be good to go from here.

Boot instructions:

Follow the steps below every time you'd like to use the eGPU in Windows.

• (If you switch between Mac and Windows) Boot into Windows first and run the integrated bat file to ensure the dGPU stays disabled.
  • Shutdown your computer
  • With your USB storage still attached, boot while holding the option key.
  • Now make sure you're ready to plug in your eGPU thunderbolt cable, just don't plug it in yet: we're going to have to hot plug it to ensure windows picks up the eGPU without any weird issues happening.
  • Select the USB EFI partition. You should now see the EFI menu. Press Q to load the menu. Select to boot into windows using your keyboard.
    • As soon as you do this, go ahead and plug in the eGPU
    • I've noticed that if I'm too early or too late, it won't work. My trick is that I insert the thunderbolt cable halfway in, and push it in as soon as I boot into Windows
  • (If you'd like to use the dGPU in Windows) Run the dedicated bat file and reboot normally.

Benchmarks 

(I'll upload pictures as soon as my post history is above 5)

CUDA-Z Report (internal display)
=============
Version: 0.10.251 64 bit http://cuda-z.sf.net/
OS Version: Windows x86 6.2.9200
Driver Version: 442.19
Driver Dll Version: 10.20 (26.21.14.4219)
Runtime Dll Version: 6.50

Core Information
----------------
Name: GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER
Compute Capability: 7.5
Clock Rate: 1830 MHz
PCI Location: 0:128:0
Multiprocessors: 48
Threads Per Multiproc.: 1024
Warp Size: 32
Regs Per Block: 65536
Threads Per Block: 1024
Threads Dimensions: 1024 x 1024 x 64
Grid Dimensions: 2147483647 x 65535 x 65535
Watchdog Enabled: Yes
Integrated GPU: No
Concurrent Kernels: Yes
Compute Mode: Default
Stream Priorities: Yes

Memory Information
------------------
Total Global: 8192 MiB
Bus Width: 256 bits
Clock Rate: 7751 MHz
Error Correction: No
L2 Cache Size: 48 KiB
Shared Per Block: 48 KiB
Pitch: 2048 MiB
Total Constant: 64 KiB
Texture Alignment: 512 B
Texture 1D Size: 131072
Texture 2D Size: 131072 x 65536
Texture 3D Size: 16384 x 16384 x 16384
GPU Overlap: Yes
Map Host Memory: Yes
Unified Addressing: Yes
Async Engine: No

Performance Information
-----------------------
Memory Copy
Host Pinned to Device: 2220.42 MiB/s
Host Pageable to Device: 1723.94 MiB/s
Device to Host Pinned: 2649.7 MiB/s
Device to Host Pageable: 2122.55 MiB/s
Device to Device: 184.719 GiB/s
GPU Core Performance
Single-precision Float: 12.1224 Tflop/s
Double-precision Float: 385.766 Gflop/s
64-bit Integer: 2944.04 Giop/s
32-bit Integer: 11.8285 Tiop/s
24-bit Integer: 11.6906 Tiop/s

Comments 

I've been using this setup with an Oculus Rift S without any issues, especially with the 2080's VirtualLink port. Now the 2080 Super is overkill for this computer considering its going to be limited by the 6th generation i7 processor, but you will have a great GPU you can use with a future upgrade.

I had no issues with error 12. If you do, I'd go back and double check that you've disabled that PCIe lane mentioned above and uninstalled all dGPU and integrated drivers with DDU.

This topic was modified 4 months ago
2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RTX 2080 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 1909 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@khaliq, Welcome aboard and thank you for sharing this nice build! I've found RTX graphics cards to have firmware conflict issues with several computers, 2016 15-in MacBook Pro included. It causes a preboot hang when you connect the RTX eGPU prior to power on. Have you tried hot-plug in Windows Desktop rather than timed hot-plug? Depending on the version of Windows 10, this may be a more convenient solution.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
khaliq
(@khaliq)

@itsage, I've been busy with work, but I'll give it a shot tonight! When do you recommend hot plugging in Windows desktop? As soon as explorer loads or should I wait for the system to completely finish starting up?

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RTX 2080 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 1909 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@khaliq, I usually give Windows a minute to sort itself out prior to hot-plugging the eGPU.

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
khaliq
(@khaliq)

@itsage, I tried hot plugging in Windows desktop with no luck. I end up getting artifacts on my screen, rendering the display useless. Hot plugging during startup still works fine. 

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@khaliq, Different versions Windows 10 behave differently with eGPU hot-plug. 1903 V1 (18362.30 to .295) has the best PCIe component handling in my experience.

ReplyQuote
Flavio
(@flavio)

@khaliq

Thanks for this post!

I'm on a 15-inch late 2016 + Razer x Chroma + MSI RTX 2070 Super

I spent the last few days trying to get windows 10 1903 to work, but I couldn't. I mean, it worked one or two times, but I always messed up 5 minutes later while trying to fix Bluetooth connectivity, or simply rebooting the machine.

I'm about to try your guide now. Is Bluetooth working fine? Did you do any updates? (Bootcamp or Windows)

Update: I followed your guide and now everything is up and running! Now my new challenge is to turn off the rainbow lights in the MSI RTX 2070 Super X Trio. The software supposed to be the one to edit lights this can't run in win 10 x64 apparently. haha

This post was modified 4 months ago

15-inch, Late 2016 Macbook pro / Razer Core X Chroma / MSI Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio

ReplyQuote