2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP460) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) +...

Notifications
Clear all

2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP460) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [jthiepler]  

RSS

jthiepler
(@jthiepler)

System specs: 

- 2016 15" MacBook Pro

- 2.9GHz i7-6920HQ (4 Cores)

- 16GB RAM

- 1TB NVMe SSD

- AMD Radeon Pro 460 / Intel HD Graphics 530

- External Monitor (1080p @ 60Hz)

eGPU hardware:

- Razer Core X

- GTX 1070 (Gigabyte G1 Gaming 8G)

Installation steps:

Based on @omardesu guide, thank you!

This guide assumes you already have a standard Win10 installation in Bootcamp with the standard drivers. I performed all these steps on my exisiting Win10 installation, no specific build was necessary in my case. (Reminder: Add build number).

IMPORTANT: If the system crashes at any point during the procedure, simply reboot and repeat the step. Driver installation crashed for me once but then went through fine after a reboot.

1. Download and run DDU to uninstall AMD drivers and reboot

2. Disable 1905 in Device Manager

3. Shut system down, plug in turned off eGPU into the right TB3 port next to the headphone jack. Make sure the eGPU is plugged into a display. Turn on eGPU and boot into Windows.

4. Install latest Nvidia Driver and reboot.

5. Set display setting to only use external monitor.

6. Download AMD drivers from bootcampdrivers.com (Reminder: Add driver number). In my case the standard installation worked perfectly fine.

7. All done. Always boot up eGPU before booting. Without the eGPU connected the system will use the AMD card, while using the eGPU when it is connected, making this setup basically plug'n'play. Even hot-plugging USB devices works without any issues on the left side.

Benchmarks:

All benchmarks are done with an external display only.

The card is overclocked with MSI Afterburner according to the following settings:

CUDA Z:

Unigine Superposition:

Shadow of the Tomb Raider Benchmark: (Highest Settings with maximum AA)

Comments:

For me this has turned out to be the perfect setup: I can enjoy my MacBook Pro on the go and for work, and play most AAA titles comfortably at high settings in Bootcamp on an external monitor. Since the CPU in my MBP is still very capable (and games are still not great at using more than 4 cores anyways) this allows me to use this setup for at least a couple more years for both work and gaming, making it a much cheaper and more convenient solution compared to buying a new MacBook or building a separate gaming desktop.

I might use this setup in Ubuntu at some point for CUDA acceleration in Machine Learning applications. I will add instructions for this once I got it up and running properly as it is still quite janky as of right now.

This topic was modified 2 months ago

MBP 15” 2016 | Razer Core X | GTX 1070

2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP460) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
BeerBears
(@beerbears)

@jthiepler,

Hello thank you for the guide. Did you have to re enable 1905 at the conclusion?

Thank you

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote