2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP460) [6th,4C,H] + RX 5600 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (HP OMEN Accel...

Notifications
Clear all

2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP460) [6th,4C,H] + RX 5600 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (HP OMEN Accelerator) + macOS 10.15.1 [lennart_olsen]  

RSS

Lennart Olsen
(@lennart_olsen)

Got the HP Omen cheaper than i could find any TB3 dock, so i decided to try it out, never been playing many games on my macbook mostly just diablo.

I started with a Vega 64 blower style card and the whole thing sounded like a jet when it ran, especially when i pushed it (in diablo) - I decided to add some mods to my case and swap the GPU for a RX 5600XT as the performance would be somewhat the same for the same kind of money.

System specs

• Macbook Pro 15" 2016 base model (MacBookPro13,3)
  • Macos 10.15.4
  • Asus ROG PG348 (link)

eGPU hardware

Swapped all the fans for Noctua ones

• Front 120mm exhaust (link)
    • Based on the old fan i was able to figure out the pinout of the picoblade connector
    • Did connect the pwm header, might disconnect again.
  • PSU 80 mm exhaust (link)
    • Changing the fan and splicing wires in a PSU is properly not the best idea but its doable.

Some thoughts related to the fan situation

The original ADDA fans are very terrible, and the fan setup of the Accelerator is generally terrible. Exhausting hot air out the very restricted front is properly not the best way of removing air from the case - a side mounted vent or something would properly be better imho.

I deliberately choose a 1200rpm fan for the PSU which might be too little, but since the gpu does not pull a lot of power i decided to try it any way. I dont think the pwm feature of the front fan does much in terms of ramping up or down the flow of air.

Swapping the fans really did quite down the Accelerator to the point where its now inaudible - of course i have yet to see how it stacks up over time, ill update the thread if something goes bad.

I also removed the feet of the Accelerator to have it take up less space and create a nice vent for the GPU fans.

Hardware pictures

google photos 🙇‍♂️

Installation steps (what did you do to get it all going?)

Getting the RX 5600 XT working on macos was easy as anything.

The ultrawide running at 95Hz required me to do some fiddling inside SwitchResX

Benchmarks

Unigine Heaven: Got 1502 on medium at 1440p ultrawide with a max gpu temp of 62c

Comments

The HP Omen Accelerator is not a great product by any stretch of the imagination, the engineering is quite poor, plastics and space efficiency is subpar. But its a fun thing to own and use, and i love it as a dock, regardless that my computer restarts when it goes into standby and acts up every now and again, its nice that i can play a few games on my ultrawide monitor.

For those of you wondering, it was cabable of supporting the Vega 64 and i had no issues other then the mentioned noise and coil whine and temperatures sky rocketing - For now i am quite pleased with the 5600xt though.

I tried installing windows 10 on the mac, i works but i have no clue how to get the egpu working and i dont think ill spend the time.

This topic was modified 6 months ago
2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP460) [6th,4C,H] + RX 5600 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (HP OMEN Accelerator) + macOS 10.15.1 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@lennart_olsen, Welcome aboard and thank you for sharing this build! HP could have used less materials to create a very nice enclosure. Unfortunately they went full gamer-mode with the styling. In order to use the 2016 15" MacBook Pro with Radeon eGPU in Boot Camp, you'd need an EFI boot loader and DSDT override. Here's my build using the RX 5700 XT [build link].

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 15" HP Spectre X360 [11th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote