Setup & Software Discussions
2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP460) [6th,4C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus)...

2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP460) [6th,4C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15.1 & Win10 1909 [itsage]  

RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

I have tested the RX 5700 XT before when it first launched [2019 13″ MacBook Pro + NetStor HL23T-Plus]. The performance was great but the reference cooler can get loud under load. Custom design RX 5700 XT is the way to go imo. TUL sent me the PowerColor Red Devil RX 5700 XT for eGPU testing. It’s a massive card compared to the reference one. This translates to cool and quiet operation. The three 90mm cooling fans stay OFF until the temp reaches 60 degrees C. Even when they’re running full speed, it’s not loud at all. I heard the PSU fan more than the GPU fans.

System specs:

2016 15″ MacBook Pro – i7-6920HQ/HD Graphics 530 iGPU & Radeon Pro 460 dGPU/16GB RAM/1TB SSD

eGPU hardware:

Mantiz Venus + PowerColor Red Devil RX 5700 XT + .5m Thunderbolt 3 cable + ASUS MB16AC USB-C Monitor – Huawei VR2 DisplayPort to USB-C cable

Hardware pictures:

Installation steps:

In macOS 10.15.1 Dev Beta 2 [19B77a] there was no setup involved with my 2016 15″ MacBook Pro. It was plug-and-play to get the eGPU going. Both the RX 5700 XT graphics card and Mantiz Venus have native support. The two input ends of the Huawei VR2 cable connected to a USB-C port on the MacBook Pro (for bus power) and a DisplayPort on the RX 5700 XT eGPU. One USB-C monitor output connected to the ASUS 15″ Portable USB-C FHD monitor.

Due to recent Win10 1903 versions causing error 12 on many Thunderbolt 3 laptops, I’ve been testing my TB3 computers with different versions. This 2016 15″ MacBook Pro is currently running Windows 10 1909 Fall Update (OS Build 18363.448). PCI Express Root Controller 1901 to the Radeon Pro 460 dGPU needs to be disabled in order to resolve error 12. Through the use of @goalque‘s automate-eGPU EFI, the iGPU stays activated for internal display eGPU acceleration (AMD XConnect). This boot loader also integrates Clover so that I could allocate Large Memory through a modified DSDT (thanks to @nando4). Here’s my setup procedure:

• Install Windows 10 ISO through Bootcamp Assistant [in macOS]
  • Install DDU to remove all default graphics drivers and disable Windows automated driver installation [in Windows]
  • Create a 24MB FAT partition in Disk Utility and copy @goalque‘s automate-eGPU EFI onto it [in macOS]
  • Copy the 2016 15″ MacBook Pro RP460 dsdt-modified.aml file as /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/WINDOWS/dsdt.aml inside the EFI partition [in macOS]
  • Hold OPTION at boot to select EFI drive and hit Q to access automate-eGPU EFI [boot selection]
  • Install Intel iGPU drivers for the integrated graphics card then restart [in Windows]
  • Download and run gpu-switch integrated.bat as Admin to attach the iGPU to internal display – install 2013 Visual C++ if needed [in Windows]
  • Select “View by Connection” in Device Manager then locate and disable PCIe Controller x16 – 1901 to RP460 dGPU [in Windows]
  • Shut MacBook Pro down then connect eGPU to any Thunderbolt 3 port [system OFF]
  • Boot into Windows via automate-eGPU EFI [boot selection]
  • Confirm a new Microsoft Basic Display Adapter in Device Manager then install Radeon drivers [in Windows]

Benchmarks:

I ran OpenCL and Metal tests in macOS through Luxmark and CL!ng. In Windows it was internal display, external monitor and overclocking mode through the ASUS MB16AC.

Internal Display External Monitor External Monitor OC

Comments:

During the 4+ hours testing this PowerColor Red Devil RX 5700 XT last night, there was no crashing even in OC mode. My power meter never reached above 240W for the entire setup. The sound meter registered mid 40 dB at the loudest. One unique aspect of the graphics card is the monitor output port LEDs. There are other RGB zones through out the card too: one on the backplate Red Devil logo, one on top, and a front zone. The RGB is adjustable in Windows with Devilzone software. Turn OFF mode would disable RGB except the port LEDs.

At the moment drivers for Navi in Windows is not well optimized for eGPU internal display/loopback mode. The performance loss is significant compared external monitor mode (relatively to Polaris and Vega cards). The latest Radeon drivers 19.10.1 don’t seem to be better than 19.7.3 when Navi was launched. Combined with Windows recent updates that cause error 12 on many system, it’s a trying time for AMD XConnect team.

This topic was modified 4 weeks ago

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

Cracking set up and guide as ever.

Did you have any issue with error 43 at any point? Cant work out what's going on with my 5700xt.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@eightarmedpet No error 43. Hot-plug in Windows would produce error 12 as expected but it didn’t crash the system in this Win10 1909 version. I recall experiencing error 43 with RX 5700 using my 2019 13″ MacBook Pro (eGPU connected at boot). The card works through hot-plug on that host so that’s what I do. I’m not sure what going on with the Navi drivers and the mix of our current Boot Camp workarounds to be honest. I have the same 2017 13″ MacBook Pro like yours connected to RX 480. It runs the latest Win10 1903 18392.418 and there’s no error 12 or error43. I use automate-eGPU EFI boot loader (old apple_set_os.efi, not the latest version).

ReplyQuote
alew3
(@alew3)
Eminent Member

@itsage

Did you use the supplied power supply of the Mantiz EGPU or did you upgrade it? 

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@alew3 It’s the PSU that came with the Mantiz Venus.

ReplyQuote
alew3
(@alew3)
Eminent Member

@itsage

Thanks!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
BeardedBro
(@beardedbro)
Trusted Member

I’m a pretty big noob when it comes to this so I have a few questions.

Since I’m running the wrong OS for bootcamp, should I just wipe the partition and reinstall? 

Also do you need to create the FAT partition on your Drive or could you use an external USB to do this?

i don’t think this will make a difference but will I have to do anything extra since I’m using a razor x eGPU case?

2019 15" MBP running 10.14.5 + Bootcamp Win 10 (18362.295)
Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core i9
Memory: 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
eGPU: Red Devil 5700 xt in a Razer Core X Chroma

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Prominent Member

@beardedbro

Reinstall Windows if there's no uninstall updates option that will uninstall the wrong OS parts (the KB that belongs to a version that is later than the one that you want).

The small FAT partition for automate-eGPU EFI can go anywhere.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
BeardedBro
(@beardedbro)
Trusted Member

@joevt

I might be able to roll back but it does look like I’ll have to reinstall windows anyway because I made the partition a bit too small, unless there’s a workaround for that and gaming with an external hard drive lol. 
Hopefully this is less of a pain in the butt than it’s looking like it will be. 
Thanks for the help, will be attempting this when I get home later today

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Prominent Member

@beardedbro

There are apps that might be able to resize the NTFS partition. Try iPartition from Coriolis Systems. It's unsupported now but they made it freely available. It still works well even in Catalina (there may be same drawing update problems in Mojave and Catalina, but you can force a redraw). Use Disk Utility to shrink APFS partitions (you might need to create an empty HFS partition since Disk Utility won't make free spaces). Then use iPartition to change the size of partitions (it will also move partitions or you can force a move by editing the Start block number of a partition). Use gpt to show partitions with free spaces.

sudo gpt -r show -l /dev/disk0

I install games to an external 10 Gbps USB 3.1 Gen 2 drive since my internal drive is tiny.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
BeardedBro
(@beardedbro)
Trusted Member

Would the 2016 modified file work for my 2019 or do I need to find a 2019 file? 

Just trying to make sure I get everything squared away before I try this in case I mess up somehow lol

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@beardedbro If you have a 2019 15″ MacBook Pro, you should look for 2018 & 2019 15″ MBP build guides as they are similar. Do not use the DSDT.aml from 2016 15″ MacBook Pro. I’d recommend reading through this build by @mac_editor.

ReplyQuote
just_insane
(@just_insane)

This is my first time working with an eGPU, and I have some questions.

1. Where does Clover come into this? I have used clover in the past, but don't see any mention of installing it anywhere in the guide. Is it part of the automate-eGPU EFI?
  2. Will the Windows boot use the dGPU if I am not connected to the eGPU? It looks like we disable the dGPU, but it's not clear if it stays that way.
  3. Where did you find Windows 1909? It has not been officially released yet. I am going to try going back to 1809 for my build.
  4. Can you provide more information about the setup of automate-eGPU EFI and the dsdt-modified.aml? Do you have direct links to the files I would need? (I have the exact same hardware as you).
  5. What is the process for booting into Windows or from macOS into Windows? Is it different if you are not connected to the eGPU?

Sorry for asking so many questions, but I am very new to this.

Thanks.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@just_insane Clover is integrated into automate-eGPU EFI. I’d recommend reading through @goalque instructions on how to install and use the boot loader. We have a collection of modified DSDT files for different systems at DSDT Override Repository. You can download the matching file for your system then save it to the appropriate folder inside automate-eGPU EFI partition/drive. I set my Mac to boot into this EFI boot loader by default. Switching back and forth between Windows and macOS is similar to using the Apple native boot selector. Due to my needs of running the internal display on the Intel iGPU, the Radeon dGPU is always off in Windows. I can always enable it whenever I need. This is one of most involved setup process for Boot Camp eGPU so take your time reading through the resources used.

This post was modified 7 days ago

ReplyQuote
just_insane
(@just_insane)

@itsage

Thanks for the reply! I got it working not long after posting. The internal display does not work for me in Windows when the eGPU is plugged in, but that is fine for me.

After having issues with the eGPU hardware I have, I am going back to a desktop and laptop combo.

ReplyQuote