2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP460) [6th,4C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus)...

Notifications
Clear all

2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP460) [6th,4C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15.1 & Win10 1909 [itsage]  

of  3
  RSS

BeardedBro
(@beardedbro)
Trusted Member

Would the 2016 modified file work for my 2019 or do I need to find a 2019 file? 

Just trying to make sure I get everything squared away before I try this in case I mess up somehow lol

2019 15" MBP + Bootcamp Win 10 (19041.508)
Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core i9
Memory: 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
eGPU: Red Devil 5700 xt in a Razer Core X Chroma

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@beardedbro If you have a 2019 15" MacBook Pro, you should look for 2018 & 2019 15" MBP build guides as they are similar. Do not use the DSDT.aml from 2016 15" MacBook Pro. I'd recommend reading through this build by @mac_editor.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 14" Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio [11th,4C,H] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (WD_Black D50) + Win11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
just_insane
(@just_insane)

This is my first time working with an eGPU, and I have some questions.

1. Where does Clover come into this? I have used clover in the past, but don't see any mention of installing it anywhere in the guide. Is it part of the automate-eGPU EFI?
  2. Will the Windows boot use the dGPU if I am not connected to the eGPU? It looks like we disable the dGPU, but it's not clear if it stays that way.
  3. Where did you find Windows 1909? It has not been officially released yet. I am going to try going back to 1809 for my build.
  4. Can you provide more information about the setup of automate-eGPU EFI and the dsdt-modified.aml? Do you have direct links to the files I would need? (I have the exact same hardware as you).
  5. What is the process for booting into Windows or from macOS into Windows? Is it different if you are not connected to the eGPU?

Sorry for asking so many questions, but I am very new to this.

Thanks.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@just_insane Clover is integrated into automate-eGPU EFI. I'd recommend reading through @goalque instructions on how to install and use the boot loader. We have a collection of modified DSDT files for different systems at DSDT Override Repository. You can download the matching file for your system then save it to the appropriate folder inside automate-eGPU EFI partition/drive. I set my Mac to boot into this EFI boot loader by default. Switching back and forth between Windows and macOS is similar to using the Apple native boot selector. Due to my needs of running the internal display on the Intel iGPU, the Radeon dGPU is always off in Windows. I can always enable it whenever I need. This is one of most involved setup process for Boot Camp eGPU so take your time reading through the resources used.

2021 14" Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio [11th,4C,H] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (WD_Black D50) + Win11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
just_insane
(@just_insane)

@itsage

Thanks for the reply! I got it working not long after posting. The internal display does not work for me in Windows when the eGPU is plugged in, but that is fine for me.

After having issues with the eGPU hardware I have, I am going back to a desktop and laptop combo.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Atadam
(@atadam)

Hi, @itsage Does your system suffer from CPU bottlenecking? I do have similar build with 6700HQ and 5700 XT on R43SG @x4 3.0 On some CPU intensive games like AC Odyssey and Origins, i observe CPU bottlenecking on 1080p.

PS:Your Cpu is about %10 more powerful than mine it seems.

CLEVO W670RCQ
i7-6700HQ, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, AMD 5700 XT on 32 Gbps x4 3.0 ADT-Link R43SG M2 eGPU Adapter

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@atadam It may not be CPU bottlenecking but rather lack of Thunderbolt 3 eGPU optimization on certain games/apps. I have experienced similar results in AC Odyssey, Forza 4 Horizon, etc with a Threadripper 1950X eGPU testing on both RTX 2080 Ti and Radeon VII.

ReplyQuote
Atadam
(@atadam)

@itsage After looking your aforementioned thread, i agree with you. It might not be CPU bottlenecking.

Well, further information needed i guess, so i'm gonna benchmark some other CPU intensive games and inform you.

Thanks for your time.

This post was modified 2 years ago

CLEVO W670RCQ
i7-6700HQ, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, AMD 5700 XT on 32 Gbps x4 3.0 ADT-Link R43SG M2 eGPU Adapter

ReplyQuote
Hyperus
(@hyperus)

@itsage, Hi itsage, does

Posted by: @itsage

Copy the 2016 15" MacBook Pro RP460 dsdt-modified.aml file as /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/WINDOWS/dsdt.aml inside the EFI partition

means create these 4 folders inside each of them sequentially, and paste the dsdt override file to the "WINDOWS" folder, then put the efi file in the same place in my thumb drive as the very first "EFI" folder? I am so confused rn... I read that the clover thing might brick my mac, so I replaced the original efi file with the new file which goalque or someone else provided if I'm not wrong, I can't find the exact page where I saw it... Is it gonna help by doing so? Thanks a lot.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@hyperus, You only need to download a single dsdt.aml file that matches your 2016 15-in MacBook Pro dGPU. You can download and read instructions on automate-eGPU EFI.

ReplyQuote
 of  3