2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP460) [6th,4C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X)...

Notifications
Clear all

2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP460) [6th,4C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1909  

RSS

(@brice_reul)

Hi folks!

Because this community was a great source of knowledge to accomplish this eGPU setup, I'm taking the time to write this build down as a thank you for @itsage and the eGPU.io community in general. Feel free to ask questions, I'll do my best to answer them. 

System specs

• Late-2016 15" MacBook Pro Intel i7-6820HQ @ 2,7 GHz
  • 16GB LPDDR3 RAM
  • Radeon Pro 460 4GB dGPU
  • Intel HD Graphics 530 iGPU
  • macOS 10.15.4
  • Windows 10 1909 build 18363.815
  • External monitor : LG 27UD88 (27" 4K IPS monitor)

eGPU hardware

Hardware pictures

Sadly I can't right now because I don't have enough posts, but I will as soon as I can.

Installation steps

macOS

Well, plug-and-play, but I began writing this build in macOS with eGPU connected and I felt some slowness with the mouse and Mission Control animations. I disconnected the eGPU and went back to LG monitor to MacBook Pro with USB-C and it went back to normal again. I have to investigate that.

Windows

I followed similar steps from @itsage and @ritero builds but I encountered some issues, so I will provide a bit more info on steps I had issues on. 

@itsage build here

@ritero build here

• Created a 132GB NTFS partition for Windows [in macOS]
  • Install Windows 10 1909 ISO through Boot Camp Assistant [in macOS]
  • Made all the Boot Camp updates (drivers and so on) [in Windows]
  • Install DDU to remove all default graphics drivers (Intel and AMD, restarting in Safe Mode between the two, no EFI-boot) and disable Windows automated driver installation with Control Panel of Windows [in Windows]
  • Create a 100MB FAT partition in Disk Utility and copy @goalque's automate-eGPU EFI folder onto it [in macOS]
  • Copy @mgear1981's 2016 15" MacBook Pro dsdt-modified.aml file as /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/WINDOWS/dsdt.aml inside the EFI partition [in macOS]
  • Follow @goalque's temporary fix for macOS Catalina steps to edit config.plist in /EFI/CLOVER [in macOS]
  • Hold OPTION at boot to select EFI drive and hit Q (A in my case because I have an AZERTY keyboard) to access automate-eGPU EFI [boot selection]
  • Select Load Windows and press Enter [boot selection]
  • Install Intel iGPU drivers for the integrated graphics card then restart [in Windows]
  • Install 2013 Visual C++ (x86) [in Windows]
  • Download and run gpu-switch integrated.bat as Admin to attach the iGPU to internal display [in Windows]
  • Select "View by Connection" in Device Manager then locate and disable PCIe Controller x16 - 1901 [in Windows]
  • Shut MacBook Pro down then connect eGPU to any Thunderbolt 3 port [system OFF]
  • Boot into Windows via automate-eGPU EFI [boot selection]
  • Windows shows that a new VGA device is ready to use then install Bootcampdrivers Radeon drivers [in Windows]

Benchmarks

I only did a Unigine Heaven benchmark right now because it was late yesterday when I finally achieved this build. I can't attach the image, but here are the results:

Unigine Heaven Benchmark 4.0

FPS: 106.9

Score: 2693

Min FPS: 29.9

Max FPS: 204.7

System

Platform: Windows NT 6.2 (build 9200) 64bit

CPU model: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6820HQ CPU @ 2.70GHz (2711MHz) x4

GPU model: Intel(R) HD Graphics 530 26.20.100.7985/AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT 26.20.15029.20013 (4095MB) x1

Settings

Render: Direct3D11

Mode: 2560x1440 2xAA fullscreen

Preset: Custom

Quality: High

Tessellation: Disabled

Comments

The first time I followed the exact steps provided by @ritero build, but I got Error 12 in Device Manager for the RX 5700XT. Everything went smooth to the end, except for this Error 12 in Device Manager.

Because I saw here and there that recent updates of Windows were fixing this error, I decided to do all Windows updates (reminder: I'm on Win10 1909) and to go back to the "first" step where we're supposed to uninstall default graphics drivers. The first time I didn't do it in Safe Mode, so I was thinking that for this second try I'll do everything as advised. 

I also noticed that my config.plist modification was not in the right place in the file (thanks to @ritero for the clarification in his build). So I changed that as well. This is the correct place where to put the new key:

[...]
<key>DefaultLoader</key>
<string>boot.efi</string>
<key>MacOSVolumeUUID</key>
<string>your unique Macintosh HD UUID here</string>
<key>DefaultVolume</key>
<string>Preboot</string>
[...]

For this second try, the process was the exact same as before and went smooth as well, except this time I installed Bootcampdrivers Radeon drivers and not those from Radeon website. The first time, with the official Radeon ones, I had a message that said the drivers have been installed but that there's a problem in Device manager. The second time, with the Bootcampdrivers one, it went successful all-the-way to the end, no error message or whatsover and Error 12 was gone!

Now when I want to play on Windows, I start with automate-eGPU EFI with eGPU plugged in at boot. If I'm on macOS, I shut down completely, wait 3-5 seconds then boot into Windows via automate-eGPU EFI.

I tried Planet Zoo in High settings, 2560x1440 resolution and the game is installed on a Samsung EVO 500GB SATA external SSD (connected with a SATA to USB 3.1 adapter). Went pretty smooth. I ran SSD benchmarks on this setup prior to do it and I have more or less 450MB/s in read and write.

Feel free to ask questions!

This topic was modified 4 weeks ago

Late 2016 15" MacBook Pro (dGPU Radeon Pro 460 4 GB - Intel i7 4-core 2,7 GHz)

2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP460) [6th,4C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1909 [build link]  

itsage and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
(@king_wang)

Hey man, I had a question. After doing all this, did you try to connect the monitor directly? Mines can't send any signal to the monitor without Core X. Wonder if it's because of the T2 security alteration or the EFI mounting. 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
(@brice_reul)

Posted by: @king_wang

Hey man, I had a question. After doing all this, did you try to connect the monitor directly? Mines can't send any signal to the monitor without Core X. Wonder if it's because of the T2 security alteration or the EFI mounting. 

What do you mean by connecting the monitor directly? I was doing all the steps on the MacBook Pro internal display and the LG monitor was already connected to the Razer Core X. As soon as it was mentioned in the steps to plug the eGPU in, I did it. At that time the LG monitor was plugged in as well, because it was already connected to the enclosure.

2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP460) [6th,4C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1909 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
(@king_wang)

@brice_reul, Yeah I can connect to the monitor through Core X but just having problem connect the Macbook to the monitor through cable directly, like DP to type C. Did you try that?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
(@brice_reul)

Posted by: @king_wang

@brice_reul, Yeah I can connect to the monitor through Core X but just having problem connect the Macbook to the monitor through cable directly, like DP to type C. Did you try that?

What are you trying to do? The idea of the eGPU setup is to connect the Mac to the eGPU and the external monitor to the eGPU. You can play on the internal display, but it will consume more bandwidth because the info has to go from the Mac to the eGPU and then come back to the Mac internal display.

I'm not even sure that going one step further will work: Mac > eGPU > Mac > External display.

Why don't you just plug your external monitor on the eGPU?

ReplyQuote
(@brice_reul)

Feedback time! 🎉

Yesterday I played Planet Zoo with a rather different setup that the build explained on the first post. I built this setup with an external monitor, but I also wanna play in the living room on my TV. First boot: Windows crashed and the Mac rebooted. So I changed the Thunderbolt 3 port from the upper-left one to the lower-left one and then it worked... more or less.

It's like Windows is seeing only one screen. I have nothing on the internal display and everything on the TV screen. If I go to the Display Settings of Windows, it only shows me one screen. It's not that big of a deal, because what is important is to see something on the TV. However, it would be nice to have both screens working. Any idea? Do I need to do something with the gpu-switch.bat?

Another strange issue is that sometimes Windows crashes completely and makes the Mac reboot. I thought it was only happening when I sometimes plug something on another USB-C port (like the SSD with my games), but yesterday it also happened while Planet Zoo was running and I wasn't doing anything (the game was paused).

[Edit] : for the Windows screen problem, I have to boot, run gpu-switch integrated.bat and then reboot with automate-eGPU EFI.

ReplyQuote
network_noob534
(@network_noob534)

Everything for me was going sooo smoothly at first with this guide:

• Intel iGPU is enabled.
  • PCI Express 1901 Disabled.
  • Reboot with Razer Core X+ RX 5700 XT plugged in to "upper left" Thunderbolt port. 
  • Install the April "Red Drivers" from Bootcampdrivers.com 
  • Radeon Installer Error 917 + The Dreaded Device Manager Error 12 Returns

Now I'm left banging my head; wondering if I should just give up using the eGPU project and build a gaming rig. I'm so sad. I have at this point no idea what could have gone wrong. Fresh install of Catalina + 1909 w/all updates. 

This was the most comprehensive, well thought-out guide that I've seen for one of my specific setups and I love it, even if I have not a single clue as to what could be going on for me. 

davcor liked
ReplyQuote
(@chenlin_lu)

@brice_reulDid you tried to use e-GPU in macOS? The external display connected to the e-GPU cannot be  recognized. If I connect the external display through another TB3 prot using an adapter, it works fine. Do you have any ideas about that? Will this cause poor performance?

2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP455) [6th,4C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + macOS 10.15.4 

This post was modified 4 weeks ago

2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP455) (6th,4C,H) + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1909

ReplyQuote
(@brice_reul)

Posted by: @network_noob534

Everything for me was going sooo smoothly at first with this guide:

• Intel iGPU is enabled.
  • PCI Express 1901 Disabled.
  • Reboot with Razer Core X+ RX 5700 XT plugged in to "upper left" Thunderbolt port. 
  • Install the April "Red Drivers" from Bootcampdrivers.com 
  • Radeon Installer Error 917 + The Dreaded Device Manager Error 12 Returns

Now I'm left banging my head; wondering if I should just give up using the eGPU project and build a gaming rig. I'm so sad. I have at this point no idea what could have gone wrong. Fresh install of Catalina + 1909 w/all updates. 

This was the most comprehensive, well thought-out guide that I've seen for one of my specific setups and I love it, even if I have not a single clue as to what could be going on for me. 

Sorry for the delay, we'll try to figure out what could have gone wrong with your setup.

What did the Error 917 from Radeon say? Did you try to go back to the step where you uninstall default drivers (after you did all Windows updates)? What's your Windows 10 exact build?

Don't give up, because except for some inconveniences (like some rare Windows crashes), this setup is running quite smoothly. Playing Planet Zoo, The Witcher 3 and Assassin's Creed Odyssey right now.

ReplyQuote
(@brice_reul)

Posted by: @chenlin_lu

@brice_reulDid you tried to use e-GPU in macOS? The external display connected to the e-GPU cannot be  recognized. If I connect the external display through another TB3 prot using an adapter, it works fine. Do you have any ideas about that? Will this cause poor performance?

2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP455) [6th,4C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + macOS 10.15.4 

Yes I did and it's plug-and-play. I'm a bit confused when you say that you're connecting the external display through another Thunderbolt 3 port? The purpose of this eGPU thing is to connect the external display to the eGPU directly. This doesn't seem to work for you now, but I don't plug any monitor directly on the Mac.

ReplyQuote