late-2016 15" Macbook Pro RP460 + GTX1080@32Gbps-TB3 (Powercolor Devil Box) + macOS10.12.5&Win10 [npanone]^  

npanone
(@npanone)
April 13, 2017 12:43 am  

First I'd like to thank the creators and participators of this forum, you all helped me achieve this :).  I wanted a way to utilize just one machine for both working and gaming while still being portable.  

I focused on getting the eGPU working under Windows first.  I struggled with updating the DevilBox firmware under Bootcamp initially.  I ended up being successful after replacing the initial Apple drivers for the PCI bridges with those from Intel.  Once I updated the firmware, I rolled back to the Apple drivers because if I had the enclosure plugged in while booting windows it would lock up.  However with the Apple drivers, it would boot fine with the enclosure connected.  I did encounter Code 12, but I can't remember what I did to correct it.  I didn't use the EFI boot method though.

Card fit inside the DevilBox without issue:

IMG 1393

Made it to Windows:

IMG 1403

Benchmark:

Screen Shot 2017 04 12 at 8.17.05 PM

I've been waiting and hoping that Nvidia would release Pascal drivers for OSX.  Hat's off to goalque for the automate-eGPU script, worked like a charm.  

Mac Benchmarks:

Screen Shot 2017 04 12 at 7.51.28 PM

Devilbox:

PROS:

• One connector to get eGPU, power, USB ports, additional disk and Ethernet
  • Solidly built, it feels like you could use it to bash down a door
  • Surprisingly quite PSU, even under load 
  • It's a second sun, the strip light is extremely bright
  • Cool logo and interesting case design

CONS:

• The fans are extremely loud, just disconnecting them quieted it down tremendously.
  • However all fans disconnected there is some whine and beeps that seem to come from the control board but I can't be sure.
  • It is heavy, has no handle, and I believe the outer shell restricts the air flow
  • It's a second sun, I disconnected the case light because it was blinding

Edited: 6 months  ago

ikir, enjoy, theitsage and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Reputable Member
April 13, 2017 5:37 am  

Usually the coil whine came from the video adapter inductors, but as far i know i didn' heard the 1080 ones particularly loud.

Or it came simply like you said from the box, from the power supply in general.

Usually if it is an inductor coil whine, there is no issue with that in therm of performances.

If the sound bother you, just find where the coil whine came from, if it is an inductor, just use a tiny bit of glue on the part touching the pcb, to stop it from vibrating.

Edited: 1 year  ago

2012 13-inch Dell Latitude E6320 + R9 270X@4Gbps-mPCIe (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10
E=Mc²

ReplyQuote
npanone
(@npanone)
April 13, 2017 7:11 pm  

It's not horrible thankfully, but I could hear it when the system first starts.

ReplyQuote
Caspar
(@caspar)
June 19, 2017 7:53 pm  

Hey npanone,

Nice Setup 😃

I have the same Devil Box. Therefore i have a question to you...

Did the Ethernetport work "out of the box" in Mac OS?

I ask because my ethernetport has no function and i didnt see it in "about my Mac" - "sytem report".

in my opinion i think its a failure in the Devil Box 🤔

Sorry about my bad english - its a long time ago 🤗

ReplyQuote
npanone
(@npanone)
August 3, 2017 6:50 pm  

@Caspar I actually never used the ethernet jack.  It isn't listed in macOS for me either though.  I'll need to check it under windows to see if it got listed there.  It's possibly a driver or firmware related problem.  

ReplyQuote