2016 15" MacBook Pro RP460 + GTX [email protected] (Aorus Gaming Box) + Win10 1803 + External Monitor + Oculus Rift [casualslyce]  

RSS

casualslyce
(@casualslyce)
July 10, 2018 4:01 pm  

System specs 

-2016 15-inch MacBook Pro with Radeon Pro 460 and High Sierra
-16 GB
-Core i7
-512 GB SSD
-34-inch LG LED display via DisplayPort 
-Oculus Rift with Touch Controllers
-Windows 10 Pro (build 1803) Bootcamp

eGPU hardware 

-Aorus Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming box
-Cable Matters 2M TB3 Cable

Installation steps 

More or less, I followed theitsage build guide. Getting Windows to recognize and use the 1070 was hardly ever a problem. For me at least, in Windows 1803, it's basically plug-and-play-- no efi script, no rEFInd was necessary. If I were trying to game traditionally using the internal monitor, I think this would have been a lot easier. Resource/error 12 problems only really reared their head when I tried to use USB peripherals/my Oculus Rift. It seems like there's just not enough bandwidth on the Aorus to use an internal monitor and the USB port for anything more serious than a mouse+keyboard. I tried so many things to get this working right and this forum was a godsend, but I finally think I have something that's more or less stable. 

What worked for me:

1) Strictly using the external display. From what I've read, this gets you significant bandwidth back over internal use.
2) Disabling 1901 and 1905 PCI controllers. I have my Aorus plugged in on the top-right TB3 connection and an Oculus sensor plugged in via a USB-c to-A adapter on the port below. The other two Oculus peripherals (headset USB and sensor) are running through the box. Oculus tells me both sensors are running at USB 2 speeds instead of the preferred 3.0, but I haven't noticed any latency problems in Steam VR so far.

What I didn't do:

1) In my current build, I haven't used DDU to uninstall anything. I kept the default Radeon driver, and even though 1901 is disabled, the Radeon driver software still sits in my tray. Other than that, I followed the theitsage's full guide.

Benchmarks

Will get some benchmarks up later.

Comments 

I'm disappointed that I haven't been able to use the gaming box as a proper USB hub. I bought this solely to use with the Rift and would love it if I could have the single TB3 connection and nothing else plugged into the MacBook. With that said, I haven't yet tried swapping the Box's default firmware. That's probably next on the list. My hope is that Bootcamp support from Apple and maybe different firmware from Aorus could solve this problem in the future; I hope it's not a limitation of TB3 technology though I've read some eGPUs have their USB bus running through its own TB3 controller.

In terms of performance, I'm happy. I'll definitely post some benchmarks from Heaven and CUDA-Z later, but so far there have been no problems. I chose the Aorus because the price was awesome, I wanted NVIDIA, and the there's really nothing else in the same form factor.

Two things I wish I'd have known from the start:

1) Resetting the eGPU can really help Windows recognize it if it's having problems. For me this sometimes meant unplugging the power cable for a good five minutes before booting up again.
2) When tinkering with integrated.bat and using an external monitor, Windows usually froze on the boot screen. The first time this happened,  it sat frozen for maybe a full three minutes before Windows installed the drivers, recognized my DisplayPort monitor, and flickered to life. If I hadn't been distracted, I surely would have assumed the system was frozen and rebooted.
3) Active Thunderbolt 3 cables like the 2-meter one I'm using from Cable Matters do not carry a USB 3.1 signal. If you want maximum bandwidth, you might be better off using the short passive cable that's bundled with the box. 

2016 Macbook Pro TB Radeon 460 | Aorus 1070 | High Sierra 10.13.6 | Bootcamp Windows 1803

ReplyQuote