2016 13" MacBook Pro [6th,2C,U] + GTX 1060 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win1...

Notifications
Clear all

2016 13" MacBook Pro [6th,2C,U] + GTX 1060 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win10 [dsaul]  

of  4
  RSS

dsaul
(@dsaul)
Eminent Member

@enjoy - Its def perfect for gaming, I was very excited about this solution and the end-result couldn't be better. I will test with external display and post soon.

@itsage Thanks! I learned a lot about the process from your experience.

@Raphax this process is just automatization of disabling and enabling your audio drivers. Did you try manually disable all your audio drivers and then re-enable them to see if the audio works? If not, then this is prob not the solution for your audio issue.

2016 13" MacBook Pro [6th,2C,U] + GTX 1060 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
noler
(@noler)
Eminent Member

Awesome job dsaul. I'm gona try to copy most of it Smile However, I have a question. The small hole you did for the psu cable, how did you squeeze it through? Did you have to take of the connector from the cable?

Edit: Also, HOW did you cut the hole?

2016 13" MacBook Pro [6th,2C,U] + GTX 1060 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win10 // 120W AC adapter [build link]  

ReplyQuote
dsaul
(@dsaul)
Eminent Member

@noler - That back part of the enclosure can be unscrewed then you can run the cable through. You will have to cut to put it back, so just cut it with a cutting plier.

For the hole, I held the case tight in a stool with a locking plier. Then I used the hole saw and a regular drill. Mark the center point of the case with a pencil then make initial small center hole, after that use the hole saw. Lubricate with WD-40 and go slow to prevent overheating. After that, I used a 1000 grit sandpapper to smooth the edges.

2016 13" MacBook Pro [6th,2C,U] + GTX 1060 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
noler
(@noler)
Eminent Member

Posted by: dsaul

@noler - That back part of the enclosure can be unscrewed then you can run the cable through. You will have to cut to put it back, so just cut it with a cutting plier.

For the hole, I held the case tight in a stool with a locking plier. Then I used the hole saw and a regular drill. Mark the center point of the case with a pencil then make initial small center hole, after that use the hole saw. Lubricate with WD-40 and go slow to prevent overheating. After that, I used a 1000 grit sandpapper to smooth the edges.

Thanks for your description, it will definitely come in handy! However, what I meant to ask, was how did you make the small hole in the back and how did you ge the cable through it? Did you cut the power cable? :)) 

1486876228 IMG5674
2016 13" MacBook Pro [6th,2C,U] + GTX 1060 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win10 // 120W AC adapter [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@dsaul would you mind taking another photo showcasing your whole setup in better light? We'd like to feature your build on the Homepage's Gallery. Thank you!

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 13" ASUS ROG Flow X13 (RTX3050Ti) [R5K,8C,H] + RTX 3080 @ 64Gbps-XG (XG Mobile) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
dsaul
(@dsaul)
Eminent Member

@noler and @ itsage - Sure, will take some more pics tomorrow.

noler liked
ReplyQuote
noler
(@noler)
Eminent Member

Posted by: dsaul

@noler and @ itsage - Sure, will take some more pics tomorrow.

Would be awesome!

ReplyQuote
dsaul
(@dsaul)
Eminent Member

@noler - I added some more pics to the main post.

@itsage - Showcase pic, see if it's ok.

IMG 5713 1

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
ed_co
(@ed_co)
Reputable Member

@dsaul, could you please put a photo with the whole setup included the power supply? The thing is that never appears... no one wants to see it. I agree that I love your setup because it looks light, but I want to see with the PSU brick that needs to be used.

Apart from that, having the possibility of adding a gtx 1080, it is definitely a great setup, the only problem is that the chipset is not as friendly as the node... (it is a pity).

Cheers.

2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP560) [7th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.13 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
dsaul
(@dsaul)
Eminent Member

@ed_co I use the DA-2 (Check Here), the brick stays on the floor, there is plenty of cable after the power brick, so just the cable needs to come to Akitio.

ReplyQuote
 of  4