2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP460) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 980 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core) +...

Notifications
Clear all

2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP460) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 980 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core) + macOS 10.12 & Win10 [Mikeal]  

of  6
  RSS

kiriesh
(@kiriesh)

This is a great tutorial but I wasn't able to get past code 12 with my 2016 15" tbMBP, I'm not sure where I went wrong. DSDT modification and Clover install went fine, and I can see the Large Memory section on my device manager, but the code 12 persists. I've tried the list of suggestions short of disabling my 460, and yet no dice. I don't suppose I could get some advice?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
csantiago78
(@csantiago78)

Hi Mikeal,

Thanks for the great guide, before I attempt it, could you please provide guidelines regarding the clover installation? I mean are you just installing it with the default settings? Are you changing anything from the default config file? Or are you just installing it as default, only adding the modified DSDT file?

I will most definitely try this once you can shade some light into these details.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Cristian

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
wtlucky
(@wtlucky)

Does this guide still working now? I tried this guide step by step, but at step 11 Reboot holding the option key, and select EFI Boot. I got my MBP brick, now it is black screen and no response with all the keys. What's wrong with this? And how can I save my MBP?

ReplyQuote
frozenranger
(@frozenranger)

I'm sorry to hear this @wtlucky. Hopefully one of the experts will reply soon. I am also interested in this method but I don't want to risk bricking my mac. Also for those wondering, I am able to create more partitions on my internal MBP SSD even with Win10 bootcamp installed. I currently have 3 partitions running, my macOS parition, C: drive and D: drive. I made the D: drive because my C: drive was too small and I needed more space for games. Win10 storage manager is unable to make partitions or extend partitions. I can only shrink partitions from my win10 operating system. But adding more partitions from disk utility in macOS high sierra is no problem for me. I have MBP late 2016 15' with r455 running akitio node with 1080ti using DSDT override and test mode in windows. Gaming is no problem other than stupid Battle-eye games which don't allow test mode........... This clover method seems to fix this problem. I bet people with the 2017 MBP are really loving life right now as they have a native large memory firmware update from the factory. @itsage

2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP455) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + macOS 10.13.2 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
frozenranger
(@frozenranger)

Posted by: edwardsean

I made attempts to manually partition my drive and install Windows, but Mac seems to need Bootcamp to properly install Windows. Bootcamp seems to insist on two partitions, one for MacOS and one for Windows. 

As it is, with Goalque's warning, I feel safer having Clover on an external USB instead of an internal partition. 

What makes me nervous though is that Goalque's warning that Clover loads a DSDT in the firmware volume. Mikeal, on the other hand, believes that there is no risk as long as Clover is separated. 

Goalque, if Clover is not safe, even installed on a USB drive, please let us know!

@edwardsean I am able to make partitions from disk utility in macOS high Sierra 10.13.2. Does clover need its own partition to work properly or can you just install clover on the main drive like a regular program?

Thank you

2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP455) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + macOS 10.13.2 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
edwardsean
(@edwardsean)
Trusted Member

Hi, 

Clover needs it's own partition. It works pretty well but every time you update Sierra it knocks it out and  you haver to reinstall. It's a bit of a problem as you should update especially for the security updates. 

2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP460) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
csantiago78
(@csantiago78)

Posted by: frozenranger
Posted by: edwardsean

I made attempts to manually partition my drive and install Windows, but Mac seems to need Bootcamp to properly install Windows. Bootcamp seems to insist on two partitions, one for MacOS and one for Windows. 

As it is, with Goalque's warning, I feel safer having Clover on an external USB instead of an internal partition. 

What makes me nervous though is that Goalque's warning that Clover loads a DSDT in the firmware volume. Mikeal, on the other hand, believes that there is no risk as long as Clover is separated. 

Goalque, if Clover is not safe, even installed on a USB drive, please let us know!

@edwardsean I am able to make partitions from disk utility in macOS high Sierra 10.13.2. Does clover need its own partition to work properly or can you just install clover on the main drive like a regular program?

Thank you

Please avoid installing it on your main partition, there are some people that got their Macs bricked. I don't know what they did exactly to do that, but I would avoid it if I were you just to be on the safe side. Also be careful to turn off any emulation on the config file, as Clover is intended to be used on Hackintosh and not on real Macs, so that could also be a potential cause for bricking. Also be careful what EFI drivers you use on it, there's an NVRAM emulator driver of sorts, which could also have the potential for bricking your Mac.

That's what I used to do it on mine.

Also this guide doesn't says so, but in order to be able to use a partition on the same drive for Clover, you need to do it this way:

1. I am not responsible for anything that goes wrong with your computer for following this Guidelines.
  2. Install Bootcamp the usual way.
  3. Boot on Windows.
  4. Open Window's Disk Utility.
  5. Shrink Window's partition about 1gb(or the size you are planning for the Clover Partition).
  6. Create the partition again on Window's Disk Utility, make sure it is fat32 to maximize performance with EFI.
  7. Boot on OSX
  8. Run the Clover installer and make sure you chose the Clover designated partition you created earlier on Windows.
  9. Make sure you follow my above guidelines.
  10. I am not responsible for anything that goes wrong with your computer for following this Guidelines.

Remember to place the custom DSDT file in the right folder and BTW, the set_os.efi file no longer works.

Another advice that worked for me is: you can chainload rEFInd --> Clover --> Windows OR rEFInd --> OSX this way you can keep your last booted OS and no need to hold the option key before reboots.

Hope all goes well! Cheers

ReplyQuote
frozenranger
(@frozenranger)

@csantiago78 , Thank you for the reply!

So do you recommend that I install my windows OS on an external hard drive? And install clover on the external hard drive too? (after shrinking the Windows OS partition) 

ReplyQuote
mrgaolei
(@mrgaolei)

2018 13" MBP, Mojave OS,
Start MaciASL with :
Decompilation Error
iASL returned:

Loading Acpi table from file iASLeKDngG.aml
Acpi table [DSDT] successfully installed and loaded
Pass 1 parse of [DSDT]

ReplyQuote
frozenranger
(@frozenranger)

Great news Fam!

So all I had to do was download the newest clover pkg from  https://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/

Then I took my 16gb usb stick and formatted it to fat32 (you don't need a 16 gb stick, a 1 gb stick will work)

then I booted into macos and installed clover on the 16 gb usb stick!

Since I already had my dsdt.aml file made for my test signing mode on system I just followed the instructions from here:  https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2016-macbook-pro-154-tb3-gtx980tirazer-core-os-x-win10-clover-dsdt-in-memory-override/

I copied it into the patched and windows folders

I then booted into windows again and turned off test signing mode

I then rebooted and held the option key and then selected the EFI clover boot option

once in clover then select your windows EFI boot

it took about 5-10 mins to finish the boot up process but im in windows now with test signing disabled and CUDA-Z is showing the full 22x H2D bandwidth and PUBG works!!!!! YA BABY (Note that it also took 5-10 mins for me to boot into windows with test signing mode on without clover, so this is normal for me.....)

I think its safe to install clover on external usb without corruption of your computer

Very nice and elegant solution! thank you EGPU.io for this!

Good luck Fam!

***After getting clover working with the eGPU I then installed Feature update to Windows 10, version 1803  and now my boot time is about 10 seconds! Life is GREAT!***

Frozenranger

ReplyQuote
 of  6