• Windows 10 Pro
  • Samsung T260HD 1920×1200

eGPU Hardware

• ADT R43SL
  • Included SATA to 4pin FDD
  • Zotac GeForce GTX 1060 Mini 6GB
  • Silverstone Strider Essential 500W 80+

Installation Steps

The thick cable is a bit hard to manage and wrestle around, but after a while I was able to manage to securely plug it into the M.2 port. Next up is plugging the SATA to 4pin FDD and then slotting the card. Booted the machine and .. nothing.. No power to the card and no fans were spinning (both on the PSU and the card). I imagined that nothing is triggering the card to 'wake' so I thought that maybe if I use the EXP GDC's 20pin to 'wake' the card.

I ended up with this miserable setup:

Thanks to nando4, this was easily resolved by doing the paperclip technique (shorting the green wire with the black wire in your 20/24 pin PSU connector). I highly recommend doing this while the PSU is unplugged. Also perform a test first (on/off) to make sure that nothing blows up. You dont want to plug in your card and all the connectors only to find out that you did something wrong. 

Moving forward, turning on the PSU, then turning on the computer works like a charm. No special BIOS tricks needed. 

Benchmarks

Comparison between my EXP GDC and desktop benchmarks

I've made a video of the benchmarks for The Division and GTAV. 

YouTube

Final Thoughts

Comparing with the EXP and a direct connection to the motherboard, the R43 was almost at 90% performance while the EXP GDC was only about 75% performance. If you have an M.2 slot, it is worth getting the R43 rather than the EXP GDC. While the execution and implementation of the GDC is better, performance wise, you wont go wrong with the ADT R43. Good luck with wrangling with the thick cable. 

I would suggest getting a pre-made PSU jumper switch to replace the paperclip to avoid accidents. Also consider the length of the cable and the orientation of the ADT header as it would affect your final setup once you're doing your final cabling. 

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

3RYL and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
pogz
 pogz
(@pogz)
Eminent Member
April 2, 2018 1:18 pm  

I recently got an R43 and upon testing it today, I'm unable to power on the device. 

A workaround I did was to connect my EXP GDCs 20 pin to the PSU so that it would 'jumpstart' turning on the device. There is no switch or anything on the R43 and additional info on this would really help. 

The adapter that was included to power the R43 was a SATA to FDD 4 pin.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
April 2, 2018 1:35 pm  

@pogz, great to see another x4 3.0 M.2 eGPU up and running. Your power on issue can be easily solved.  Just apply the paperclick trick pictured here where you jumper the ATX 20/24pin connector's green+black wires to switch it on.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + macOS 10.14 & Win10

ReplyQuote
pogz
 pogz
(@pogz)
Eminent Member
April 2, 2018 1:49 pm  

I was doing some search and I found that too. Im a bit on the fence with the paperclip, I might just bite the bullet and buy a proper switch from Aliexpress. 

My only question is, do I have to 'turn on' the PSU before booting the computer and 'turn off' the PSU afterwards? 

By the way, thanks for editing my post and arranging the images correctly. I was about to do that going through some of the build guides.. lol!

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
April 2, 2018 1:55 pm  

Pls try to power on before the system starts and see if the BIOS is OK with seeing the eGPU. If it black screens indicating the BIOS is stuck not knowing what to do with the eGPU,  then hide the eGPU from the BIOS.

Do that by starting the system and interrupting the OS boot (easyBCD allows a timed countdown bootmenu to be added). The testing powering on the PSU or hotplugging the powered M2 interface to get the eGPU detected.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds

ReplyQuote
pogz
 pogz
(@pogz)
Eminent Member
April 2, 2018 2:00 pm  

Thanks. Will give an update again soon. Them Dell machines havent given me trouble so far, hope I wouldnt do something extra just to get this to work properly.

ReplyQuote
pogz
 pogz
(@pogz)
Eminent Member
April 3, 2018 7:58 am  

Paperclip technique worked. 

Turn on PSU, turn on computer, boot Windows. No issues.
@nando4: is my subject line wrong? I cant seem to see this new build guide on the list.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
April 3, 2018 8:04 am  

@pogz, the build is manually added to the builds guide table and will be done shortly. In the meantime, did you want to update your opening post main pic showing just the ADT R43SL adapter + paperclip trick and update notes about it?  Looks neat.

ReplyQuote
pogz
 pogz
(@pogz)
Eminent Member
April 3, 2018 8:55 am  

Oh sure. Yeah, it would help to summarize to the original post. Im also uploading a video to YouTube with how the setup looks and the benchmarks for GTA5 and The Division.

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
wfx1
 wfx1
(@wfx1)
October 25, 2018 8:58 pm  

thanks for this .. i am planning to connect an external gpu (probably GTX 980 Ti) via the ADT-link R43 to a dell optiplex 9020m which is very similar to the optiplex 3050m.

link to your video in youtube?  i am looking for suggestion on a clean escape from the box .. at least the 'german patent wire' is very heavy duty so should not be easily damaged. 

previously i have done mini pcie extensions out of the optiplex USFF but i haven't figured out the best way to do the micro form factor yet .. because the front bezel on the micro form factor is very different .. maybe just punch a slot in the top of the case.

also the ADT-link R43 comes in three different angles - R43SF (180), R43SR (270), R43SL (90) .. thinking about which is best for the purposes of building an enclosure..    maybe will add this PCIe 16x extender / GTX base as well. 

ReplyQuote
pogz
 pogz
(@pogz)
Eminent Member
November 8, 2018 10:47 am  
Posted by: wfx1

thanks for this .. i am planning to connect an external gpu (probably GTX 980 Ti) via the ADT-link R43 to a dell optiplex 9020m which is very similar to the optiplex 3050m.

link to your video in youtube?  i am looking for suggestion on a clean escape from the box .. at least the 'german patent wire' is very heavy duty so should not be easily damaged. 

previously i have done mini pcie extensions out of the optiplex USFF but i haven't figured out the best way to do the micro form factor yet .. because the front bezel on the micro form factor is very different .. maybe just punch a slot in the top of the case.

also the ADT-link R43 comes in three different angles - R43SF (180), R43SR (270), R43SL (90) .. thinking about which is best for the purposes of building an enclosure..    maybe will add this PCIe 16x extender / GTX base as well. 

In case you need a reference, i got the 30cm + R43SL variant for 55 USD (+shipping). The SL will flip the cable to have it behind where the cables are. 

If you want to, you can drill a small slit towards the front of the top case. You can insert the card through here, then under the drive caddy. Check my attached image. The yellow is the cable, the pink is the HDD with the caddy connected to the SATA port, you have enough clearance to route the cable under the caddy. 

On the other picture (with the closed case), you can cut a slit just to fit the NMVE adapter inside it (obviously rather than cut a chunk to insert from the other end).

I hope you get what im trying to explain. Lol.

ReplyQuote