2016 Dell Optiplex 3050 Micro [6th,4C,T] + GTX 1060 @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SL...

Notifications
Clear all

2016 Dell Optiplex 3050 Micro [6th,4C,T] + GTX 1060 @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SL) + Win10 [pogz]  

of  4
  RSS

pogz
 pogz
(@pogz)
Eminent Member

Posted by: ngkohdin

Hi... i'm trying  to use R43 SL with Zotac GTX 1060 mini 6GB  to connect with my intel Nuc7i7bnh. I'm using 500 W power supply, the fan at GPU is work, but so far nothing display adapter detected in my device manager..  Please help me.. any idea how to solve this problem? i think it should work just like @pogz did... 

my intel nuc 7i7bnh + zotac gtx 1060 mini 6gb

Dell machines are forgiving in terms of having another display adapter. If I remember correctly, there is a setting on the bios to automatically switch display adapter. I dont know how this is implemented on a NUC. I did some Googling and found this: https://www.reddit.com/r/eGPU/comments/5yaccm/skull_canyon_beast_gdc_m2_working/ my assumption is that NUCs are the same BIOS settings wise. Based from his instructions, he uninstalled the internal 530 drivers after installing the drivers for the external card.

As I quote: 

Only small problems I had was to get the Skull Canyon to recognize the eGPU once everything was assembled. I uninstalled the drivers and removed the dGPU in settings and with some trial and error it now works. Unfortunately I did not find a setting on the SC bios that allowed me to turn off the dGPU.

2016 Dell Optiplex 3050 Micro [6th,4C,T] + GTX 1060 @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SL) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
pogz
 pogz
(@pogz)
Eminent Member

Not sure if allowed to cross post but I've planned to let go of the adapters I used in this: https://egpu.io/forums/for-sale-wanted/ph-fs-php-2500-adt-r43sl-bracket-psu-switch/

2016 Dell Optiplex 3050 Micro [6th,4C,T] + GTX 1060 @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SL) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Caio Silva
(@caio_silva)

Hey there! I'm kinda noob about EGPU! Can you help me?

I was planning to buy a ADT-Link R43SG (M.2 x4) but idk if my laptop can use it (Acer Aspire A515-51G-58VH). The laptop have a SSD port that supports M.2 NVME. There should I install the EGPU?

Does it work with GTX 1660? A Corsair VS500 500W need to make the paperclip trick?
TY anyway...

This post was modified 1 year ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
pogz
 pogz
(@pogz)
Eminent Member

It might work as you've stated that its an NVME port. But again, port compatibility doesnt guarantee that it would work. You can check if someone already did a build with your machine on the Builds section.

You might need to uninstall the default on board drivers. 

Sorry cant provide much information.

ReplyQuote
Caio Silva
(@caio_silva)

@pogz

I installed here a few months ago! TY anyway 😉

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Bonger
(@bonger)

@pogz
I'm trying with the ADT-Link R43SG and a 3040 micro, but I'm noticing a fit and length issue with both m2 adapter and m2 interface.  I'm assuming I need to purchase the M2 AE, the r53sg?  I looked at your gdc exp beast setup with the 3040, but I wanted the adt link instead.  Not sure which way to go anymore and if my purchase of the ADT-Link R43SG ended up being a waste and unusable on the 3040.  I don't have that secondary M2 port that's available on the 3050..

Sorry a newb at this.. 

This post was modified 9 months ago

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@bonger If it's A+E then get the R53SG or keep the R43SG and connect it using a R54SF. 

There's one build guide for the 3040 but it doesn't mention what M.2 key is used for the NGFF connector. H2D and D2H speeds show less than 500 MB/s so it's probably not key M (socket 3: NVMe, AHCI; PCIe x4) or key B (socket 2: SATA; PCIe x2). It's probably key A+E (Socket 1: WiFi; PCIe x1). The 3040M manual says "M.2 socket1 connector" which is for WiFi which uses key A+E. In the System Board layout picture, it looks like the socket uses key A (key B would be slightly closer to the middle).
https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/optiplex-3040m-desktop_Owners-Manual2_en-us.pdf
The System Board layout picture seems to show an unlabeled M.2 socket 3 connector next to the hard drive connector. The socket 3 connector would give better GPU performance if you're not using an NVMe drive. Does your 3040 have the socket 3 connector? Are you using an NVMe drive?

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
Bonger
(@bonger)

Posted by: @joevt

@bonger If it's A+E then get the R53SG or keep the R43SG and connect it using a R54SF. 

There's one build guide for the 3040 but it doesn't mention what M.2 key is used for the NGFF connector. H2D and D2H speeds show less than 500 MB/s so it's probably not key M (socket 3: NVMe, AHCI; PCIe x4) or key B (socket 2: SATA; PCIe x2). It's probably key A+E (Socket 1: WiFi; PCIe x1). The 3040M manual says "M.2 socket1 connector" which is for WiFi which uses key A+E. In the System Board layout picture, it looks like the socket uses key A (key B would be slightly closer to the middle).
https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/optiplex-3040m-desktop_Owners-Manual2_en-us.pdf
The System Board layout picture seems to show an unlabeled M.2 socket 3 connector next to the hard drive connector. The socket 3 connector would give better GPU performance if you're not using an NVMe drive. Does your 3040 have the socket 3 connector? Are you using an NVMe drive?

Thank you for your reply.  Unfortunately for me on the 3040 board, that socket 3 connector is not there.  I'll look into the r54sf connector as trying to find a r53sg for sale has been a lot more difficult to find.

ReplyQuote
pogz
 pogz
(@pogz)
Eminent Member

@bonger

I have a 3040 build guide here: https://egpu.io/forums/builds/dell-optiplex-3040m-gtx1060-6gb-exp-gdc-8-5c-win10/ my 3040 did not have an NMVE slot thus I can only use the NGFF connector which is slower. 

On the Dell website I see that there were variants with NVME slots and if you check your board, you can see a provision but no slot. I think there were models which had, and others which had none. 

ReplyQuote
Laci Márkus
(@laci_markus)

@pogz, @nando4 - I'm more or less in the same shoes, but have just upgraded my 3050 i3-7100T (2C/4T) to a 3070 i5-9500T (6C/6T) at no cost.

I do not play games other than chess, but will use the Optiplex for minimal video editing. So my dilemma is:

A.) Shall I give up the NVME SSD M.2 slot for a 32Gbps eGPU solution or

B.) Just use the onboard wifi NGFF port for an 1x PCI express 3.0 (8Gbps) connection. They say a GTX 1060 is the optimal card for this.

I will most probably get a modular PSU to minimize cables and which I'll be able to use in a mini-ITX build if I decide to go that way later, but was thinking if a 130W dell PSU (or even 90W) would cut it for some of those 75W max 1650 cards.

Can you please confirm if I should get 8Gbps by using ADT Link R53 as well as via the EXP GDC?

Ciforia used the ADT in his build at: https://egpu.io/forums/builds/need-help-on-hp-prodesk-mini-600g2-adt-r43sl-gtx-1050-ti-windows-10-x64/

But I see 4Gbps with Pogz's EXP GDC 8.5 builds.

Thank you!

ReplyQuote
 of  4