2016 Dell XPS 12 9250 2-in-1 + [email protected] (Razer Core) + Win10 [theitsage]  

RSS

theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
July 26, 2017 3:05 am  

I found this XPS 12 at the local Micro Center on clearance. Apparently it wasn't a very appealing 2-in-1 package that Dell thought it might be. The funny thing is this 9250 is the one of the two in the XPS laptop lineup with two Thunderbolt 3 ports and they are running through a x4 PCIe 3.0 connection. You may be questioning me right about now because Dell support article shows this XPS 12 2-in-1 should be in the same situation as XPS 13 and XPS 15. I'm seeing x4 PCIe 3.0 in HWiNFO64 and GPU-Z. The reason for the low CUDA reading is due to Sky Lake / Kabylake "U" and "Y" CPU running in OPI 2GT/s mode.

This XPS tablet/laptop hybrid pairs very well with the Razer Core because it has no standard ports and requires 30W charging through USB-C. The Core m5-6Y54 CPU is definitely the weak link for external graphics use. The detachable bottom piece with keyboard and trackpad is rather cool and much better than Surface Pro keyboard/trackpad. The one negative is the fixed angle for the display. IMO this may be the form factor of future portable computing; a laptop that has detachable graphics docking station and detachable keyboard/trackpad. The Porsche Design BOOK ONE 2-in-1 Tablet PC could be such a machine.

eGPU implementation on this XPS 12 9250 was straight forward. I have made a habit of using DDU to make sure there's no driver conflicts. Then I would update Intel Thunderbolt Software and AMD/Nvidia graphics card drivers to the latest version. Another good idea is to select "No Security" under Thunderbolt section in the BIOS. Here are Unigine numbers ran through internal display mode.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

86 external GPU build guides

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
midora
(@midora)
July 28, 2017 2:52 am  

I've been looking to buy 9250 as well, any chance you can help me buy and ship it to me?

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote