late-2016 13" Macbook Pro + [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win10 [dsaul]^ // sound-fix, chassis mod  

RSS

dsaul
(@dsaul)
Eminent Member
February 12, 2017 5:07 am  

Just finished building my eGPU and want to share with all as I learned so much from this forum.

Configuration:

- Macbook Pro 13" 2016 TB w/ bootcamp

- Akitio Thunder 3 enclosure. ($208)

- DA-2 ($10)

- EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SC ($268) - Fits perfectly 

- DA-2 to Akitio and 6-pin connector (Sold ready on Ebay $18)

For modding the case:

- Low profile 6-pin

- Hole saw 110mm

- Fan grill 120mm and 4 screws (M4-.7 x 5MM Flat Head Philips at Home Depot)

The process:

Was actually simple. Connected everything, booted on Windows 10 bootcamp then it automatically installed something that recognized the card but had an error.

So I installed latest drivers, rebooted and started working. I can plug in/out and works, but I have to boot with eGPU connected. Works in the internal display as well as connected to external monitor. 

The sound was not working, but if you disable and enable the logic cirrus driver, it start working. No need to reboot but I have to do it every time You can find my workaround here. (based on @nando4 post.)

For modding the Akitio Thunder 3 case:

For the circular cut: Marked the center point with pencil to drill the initial small hole. Had the case held against a stool with a locking plier so would't move during drilling. Then after the small hole I drilled with the saw hole 110mm and used WD-40 to lubricate. After that, I sanded with 1000 grit sandpaper the borders to make it smooth. Then, drilled the holes for the screws for the fan grill.

For the cable: I used a low profile 6-pin so I could close the case. Also made small cut in the back to pass cable through so I could close the back of enclosure as well. For cutting I used a cutting plier. The excess cable I ran behind the main board, you can unscrew it and there is plenty of space for cable behind.

Turned the fan around to flow out of the hot air. The temperatures doesn't go beyond 68 degrees. Running benchmarks on ultra and retina display resolution.

Really liked the end result. I'm sharing some pics.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

3RYL, deplomb, danfalconar and 6 people liked
ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
February 12, 2017 5:15 am  

Wow!! Stunning handiwork there. That circular cut with home tools looks like what a CNC machine would do. Overall, looks like a factory unit.  The Thunder3 chassis a great size for a a balanced portable+performance eGPU using ITX-sized video cards.

For the sound problem can use devcon to disable/enable the problematic devices during Windows startup: https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/tmbp-13-razer-core-gtx-1060-questions/#post-1852

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + macOS 10.14 & Win10

dsaul liked
ReplyQuote
Maven
(@maven)
Trusted Member
February 12, 2017 9:07 am  

I'm thinking about ordering this up with the Zotac 1080 Mini. It looks like your card requires 400w, and the Zotac 1080 Mini requires 500w.

Would I still be good to go with the PSU used in your guide?

Awesome work!

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

dsaul liked
ReplyQuote
dsaul
(@dsaul)
Eminent Member
February 12, 2017 10:31 am  

Thanks @nando4 for the workaround for the audio issue. I made it little different that was easier for me, will add a tutorial for people like me that need things step-by-step in order to understand.

Audio Fix

1 - Install Windows 10 WDK. (From this several gigs file you only need a 80kb file called devcon.exe located on "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Tools\x64" - After you copy the file you can uninstall WDK)

2 - Create 3 text files that will be saved as .bat

• 1st - Write as bellow and save as disable_audio.bat
    @Echo off
    devcon disable *audio*
  • 2nd - Write as bellow and save as enable_audio.bat
    devcon enable *audio*

• 3rd - Write as bellow and save as final.bat
    @echo off
    call "disable_audio.bat"
    call "enable_audio.bat"
    exit

3 - Copy those 4 files (devcon.exe; disable_audio.bat; enable_audio.bat; and final.bat) to the folder C:\Windows\System32

4 - There is a trick to run it as administrator without that pop-up warning.

• Search for Task Scheduler. Open it, go to Action -> Create task
  • Add a name (audio_fix) and a description. Mark the box Run with highest privileges.
  • Click tab Actions, then New and add "C:\Windows\System32\final.bat" in the program field.
  • Click tab Conditions and unselect everything.
  • Go to Task Scheduler Library, see if your new file audio_fix is in there.

5 - Go to desktop, right-click, New->Shortcut

• Type schtasks /run /TN "audio_fix" and create.

6 - Search for Run, type shell:startup and click OK.

7 - Copy the new shortcut from Desktop to this startup folder. This will ensure will open when you boot windows.

Success!!

usafballer, JasonCraneAdkins, itsmikerofl and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
dsaul
(@dsaul)
Eminent Member
February 12, 2017 11:18 am  

My card require 120W of power. Look here EVGA website. In the box it says 400W and I believe it's the recommendation of PSU for your entire PC. The DA-2 provides 220W.

The Zotac 1080 Mini will need 180W of power. Look here. So you should be fine with the DA-2.

ReplyQuote
enjoy
(@enjoy)
Reputable Member
February 12, 2017 11:55 am  

Great job 🙂 

Can you run the Unigine Heaven Benchmark with this settings:

ϟ AKiTiO Thunder2 + EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SC Gaming (macOS Sierra 10.12.4 and Windows 10)
 MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Later 2013) 3.2GHz Quad Core Intel i7-4750HQ / 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 / 256GB SSD + 1TB
mini eGPUPCI Express vs. ThunderboltMac CAN gameGaming Laptops vs. MacBook Pro with eGPU

dsaul liked
ReplyQuote
dsaul
(@dsaul)
Eminent Member
February 12, 2017 1:45 pm  

Internal Display

enjoy liked
ReplyQuote
enjoy
(@enjoy)
Reputable Member
February 12, 2017 2:05 pm  

Great score :)) You have a GAMING Laptop for sure now, all games to the max with FULL HD 1920x1080 60FPS for sure 🙂

For now Akitio Thunder3 feat. EVGA  GTX 1060 6GB SC is the best setup, small, great looking and with great power! 🙂

For example with Akitio Thunder 2 and the same video card but on Macbook Retina 15 (mid-2012) I have the same result but on the exernal display. 

On the internal display with fake display mod i need to lower the resolution to 1680x1050 to play all games to the max, but is still great.

So everyone with 2016 Macbook Pro 13 - this is the best setup - Akitio Thunder3 feat. EVGA  GTX 1060 6GB SC!

ϟ AKiTiO Thunder2 + EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SC Gaming (macOS Sierra 10.12.4 and Windows 10)
 MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Later 2013) 3.2GHz Quad Core Intel i7-4750HQ / 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 / 256GB SSD + 1TB
mini eGPUPCI Express vs. ThunderboltMac CAN gameGaming Laptops vs. MacBook Pro with eGPU

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
February 12, 2017 2:10 pm  

Awesome work!

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

86 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
raphax
(@raphax)
February 12, 2017 11:37 pm  

I tried your steps to to make the audio work, but when i boot with my egpu i can get audio only with hdmi cable... The audio jack p2 or the macbook speakers dosnt work...

Any solution?

Thank you!

Macbook Pro 13" 2016 (Two Thunderbolt Port)
Akitio Thunder3 (Default)
ZOTAC NVIDIA GTX 1050TI 4GB

eGPU working with macOS High Sierra and Windows 10 Bootcamp.

ReplyQuote
dsaul
(@dsaul)
Eminent Member
February 13, 2017 5:43 am  

@enjoy - Its def perfect for gaming, I was very excited about this solution and the end-result couldn't be better. I will test with external display and post soon.

@theitsage Thanks! I learned a lot about the process from your experience.

@Raphax this process is just automatization of disabling and enabling your audio drivers. Did you try manually disable all your audio drivers and then re-enable them to see if the audio works? If not, then this is prob not the solution for your audio issue.

ReplyQuote
noler
(@noler)
Eminent Member
February 13, 2017 10:25 am  

Awesome job dsaul. I'm gona try to copy most of it 🙂 However, I have a question. The small hole you did for the psu cable, how did you squeeze it through? Did you have to take of the connector from the cable?

Edit: Also, HOW did you cut the hole?

2016 13" TB + Akitio Thunder3 with EVGA GTX 1060

ReplyQuote
dsaul
(@dsaul)
Eminent Member
February 13, 2017 10:44 am  

@noler - That back part of the enclosure can be unscrewed then you can run the cable through. You will have to cut to put it back, so just cut it with a cutting plier.

For the hole, I held the case tight in a stool with a locking plier. Then I used the hole saw and a regular drill. Mark the center point of the case with a pencil then make initial small center hole, after that use the hole saw. Lubricate with WD-40 and go slow to prevent overheating. After that, I used a 1000 grit sandpapper to smooth the edges.

ReplyQuote
noler
(@noler)
Eminent Member
February 13, 2017 11:32 am  
Posted by: dsaul

@noler - That back part of the enclosure can be unscrewed then you can run the cable through. You will have to cut to put it back, so just cut it with a cutting plier.

For the hole, I held the case tight in a stool with a locking plier. Then I used the hole saw and a regular drill. Mark the center point of the case with a pencil then make initial small center hole, after that use the hole saw. Lubricate with WD-40 and go slow to prevent overheating. After that, I used a 1000 grit sandpapper to smooth the edges.

Thanks for your description, it will definitely come in handy! However, what I meant to ask, was how did you make the small hole in the back and how did you ge the cable through it? Did you cut the power cable? :)) 

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
February 13, 2017 8:21 pm  

@dsaul would you mind taking another photo showcasing your whole setup in better light? We'd like to feature your build on the Homepage's Gallery. Thank you!

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

86 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
dsaul
(@dsaul)
Eminent Member
February 14, 2017 5:14 am  

@noler and @ theitsage - Sure, will take some more pics tomorrow.

noler liked
ReplyQuote
noler
(@noler)
Eminent Member
February 14, 2017 7:04 am  

@noler and @ theitsage - Sure, will take some more pics tomorrow.

Would be awesome!

ReplyQuote
dsaul
(@dsaul)
Eminent Member
February 16, 2017 5:04 am  

@noler - I added some more pics to the main post.

@theitsage - Showcase pic, see if it's ok.

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
ed_co
(@ed_co)
Reputable Member
February 17, 2017 10:03 am  

@dsaul, could you please put a photo with the whole setup included the power supply? The thing is that never appears... no one wants to see it. I agree that I love your setup because it looks light, but I want to see with the PSU brick that needs to be used.

Apart from that, having the possibility of adding a gtx 1080, it is definitely a great setup, the only problem is that the chipset is not as friendly as the node... (it is a pity).

Cheers.

mid-2017 Macbook Pro RP560 + MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming [email protected] (Mantiz Venus) + macOS10.13 & Win10

ReplyQuote
dsaul
(@dsaul)
Eminent Member
February 17, 2017 10:49 am  

@ed_co I use the DA-2 (Check Here), the brick stays on the floor, there is plenty of cable after the power brick, so just the cable needs to come to Akitio.

ReplyQuote
enjoy
(@enjoy)
Reputable Member
February 17, 2017 11:05 am  

@ed_co you can see the Dell DA-2 in my Video (0:50 sec) again on the floor 🙂 If you have a desk you can hide it under the desk!

ed_co and dsaul liked
ReplyQuote
dsaul
(@dsaul)
Eminent Member
February 20, 2017 3:36 pm  

I realize sometimes (not very often) the eGPU doesn't start correctly and I just find out after started playing the game and it's very sloooow. So I have to quit and reboot.

I made piece of code that can be added to the previous "sound fix", so that it automatically checks after booting if eGPU is working fine and if not offer to reboot the windows.

Assuming you already did the sound fix.

Just create a text file with text bellow and save as devcon egpucheck.bat on the folder C:\Windows\System32

@Echo off

set x=0

devcon status "@PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1C03&SUBSYS_61633842&REV_A1*" | find /i "running" && set x=1

if %x%==0 goto Ask
if %x%==1 goto End

:Ask
echo Graphics card not working. Would you like to restart?
set INPUT=
set /P INPUT=Y or N: %=%
If /I %INPUT%==y goto yes
If /I %INPUT%==n exit

:yes
"C:\Program Files\Boot Camp\Bootcamp.exe" -StartupDisk "BOOTCAMP"
shutdown /r /t 5 /c "Graphics card not working. Make sure your eGPU is plugged and powered. Rebooting..."
exit

:End

*Whatever is in red you have to add your own hardware ID.

• Open Device Manager
  • Display Adapters-> Details tab
  • In Property select Hardware Ids
  • Copy the longest name.

*In Blue you have to use you partition name. BOOTCAMP is default.

Now just edit the file devcon final.bat

@echo off

call "devcon egpucheck.bat"
call "devcon disable_audio.bat"
call "devcon enable_audio.bat"

I really like the fact that it boot into windows directly without having to press option key. It asks you to confirm before booting just in case you want to use windows without the eGPU.

noler liked
ReplyQuote
noler
(@noler)
Eminent Member
February 20, 2017 8:49 pm  

Slowely getting there. Struggled with the hole saw, but finally I got through. 

Maven, deplomb, danfalconar and 4 people liked
ReplyQuote
ed_co
(@ed_co)
Reputable Member
February 26, 2017 9:10 pm  

Nice noler. I would like to see this thunder3 setup with a small 1080 inside... hopefully someone will do it. It is a pity that thunder3 and node don't have the same chipset (cause node is much better and easier to setup).

Cheers.

mid-2017 Macbook Pro RP560 + MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming [email protected] (Mantiz Venus) + macOS10.13 & Win10

ReplyQuote
deplomb
(@deplomb)
Trusted Member
February 26, 2017 10:20 pm  

Very nice handwork dsaul and noler 🙂

enjoy, Maven and dsaul liked
ReplyQuote
Luminair
(@luminair)
March 8, 2017 7:08 pm  

What size screws and nuts did you use to mount the grill to the case?

ReplyQuote
dsaul
(@dsaul)
Eminent Member
March 8, 2017 10:43 pm  

@ Luminair - it a very short one otherwise get stuck to the cards itself when you slide for closing.

The specification is M4-.7 x 5MM Flat Head Philips at Home Depot.

ReplyQuote
greg
 greg
(@greg)
March 29, 2017 5:48 pm  

I am new to the eGPU world and I love the mini eGPU with 1060!! Just awesome! Would love to get that. I think I will start with the 1050 though to avoid all the modding for now. Maybe down the line... 🙂

ReplyQuote
fireheadman
(@fireheadman)
Trusted Member

dsaul liked
ReplyQuote
fireheadman
(@fireheadman)
Trusted Member
April 19, 2017 7:07 am  

I am curious about 2 of the cables you used....  (I'm still in the learning process)

Some builds are using a 8pin [4x4] cable for the DA-2 and either a 6pin or 6+2pin PCI-e power to the card.   How does your PSU Brick plug into a 12pin [6x6] plug?

Also, what is the purpose of the low-profile extender (I can see the use if the other harness is short, but most I have seen are 18"-24" long, which seems sufficient??)

– DA-2 to Akitio and 6-pin connector (Sold ready on Ebay $18)

For modding the case:

– Low profile 6-pin

DAILY DRIVER: ⚡cMP 2010 (ⓄⓈ:DualBoot macOS 10.13.6/Windows 2016 [1803]) | ⒸⓅⓊ:3.47GHz Xeon X5690 (x12 core)
ⓇⒶⓂ:64GB 1333MHz DDR3 | ⓈⓈⒹ:1TB SSD (LiteON 512 -x4 - RAID1) w/Marvell Raid Controller | ⒼⓅⓊ: Nvidia GTX 1080 TI 11GB Founders Edition
⚡ Previous was MacMini 2011 w/AKiTiO Thunder2 | ⒼⓅⓊ:EVGA GTX 1060 3GB SC Gaming

ReplyQuote
dsaul
(@dsaul)
Eminent Member
April 27, 2017 7:30 am  

@fireheadman The conector from DA-2 is a 8pin and the cable will be 12pin. They do fit together. The 8 pin in both ends would be more logic but the arrangement of cables are not right so you would have to rearrange the cables if using 8pin cable to DA-2. There are some posts explaining that. So as summary using the 8 pin -> 12 pin, would prevent from modding the connector and cables array. 

The low profile is just so you can close the Akitio enclosure. If the custom cable were low profile, you wouldn't need this extender. You can do yourself cutting part of the plastic piece and making it low profile connector. I didn't want to do it so bought this low profile extender.

ReplyQuote
fireheadman
(@fireheadman)
Trusted Member

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member
August 16, 2017 5:50 am  

I'm in the same boat as fireheadman... have chopped my normal 6 pin down as much as possible and I'm still about 2mm off success. The parts you link to are no longer listed and searching is coming up blank or with Kreon Cables or whatever they are called and the seller claims his are not that low. Anyone have any suggestions?

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touchbar + [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win10
2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + [email protected] (Sonnet Breakaway Box) + Win10

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + GTX1070 (debating 2070 upgrade) @32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V1) + Win10

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + Vega 56 @32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V1) + Win10 & macOS 10.14+

---
LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
ghostronaut
(@ghostronaut)
Eminent Member
May 20, 2018 5:16 pm  

Thanks @nando4 for the workaround for the audio issue. I made it little different that was easier for me, will add a tutorial for people like me that need things step-by-step in order to understand.

Audio Fix

1 - Install Windows 10 WDK. (From this several gigs file you only need a 80kb file called devcon.exe located on "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Tools\x64" - After you copy the file you can uninstall WDK)

2 - Create 3 text files that will be saved as .bat

• 1st - Write as bellow and save as disable_audio.bat
    @Echo off
    devcon disable *audio*
  • 2nd - Write as bellow and save as enable_audio.bat
    devcon enable *audio*

• 3rd - Write as bellow and save as final.bat
    @echo off
    call "disable_audio.bat"
    call "enable_audio.bat"
    exit

3 - Copy those 4 files (devcon.exe; disable_audio.bat; enable_audio.bat; and final.bat) to the folder C:\Windows\System32

4 - There is a trick to run it as administrator without that pop-up warning.

• Search for Task Scheduler. Open it, go to Action -> Create task
  • Add a name (audio_fix) and a description. Mark the box Run with highest privileges.
  • Click tab Actions, then New and add "C:\Windows\System32\final.bat" in the program field.
  • Click tab Conditions and unselect everything.
  • Go to Task Scheduler Library, see if your new file audio_fix is in there.

5 - Go to desktop, right-click, New->Shortcut

• Type schtasks /run /TN "audio_fix" and create.

6 - Search for Run, type shell:startup and click OK.

7 - Copy the new shortcut from Desktop to this startup folder. This will ensure will open when you boot windows.

Success!!

@dsaul

Just disabling and enabling audio doesn't work for me, I have to do what @ppm recommended here:  https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/no-sound-in-bootcamp-windows-10-980ti-node/#post-2614

Also see attached photo for the steps I have to take. Is there a way to also automate this, as I have to do this every time I boot into Windows?

Macbook Pro Touchbar 2017 i7 3.1Ghz Kaby Lake 16GB Ram | Aorus Gaming Box 1080 | HTC Vive | Build guide

ReplyQuote