late-2016 Macbook Pro 13" (Non-Touchbar) + GTX1070@32Gbps-TB3 (Aorus Gaming Box) + Win10 [Kim_KJD]^ // 3dmark comparison benchmarks  

Kim_KJD
(@kim_kjd)
July 26, 2017 3:26 pm  

Setup is ridiculously easy with the Aorus Gaming Box. Only issue is figuring out the error 12 you get.

Specs

2016 Macbook Pro 13" (Non-Touchbar)
i7-6660U
16GB RAM
Intel 540 (integrated graphics)

Instructions

For this installation, I opted for a fresh install of Windows 10, just to ensure everything works correctly.

1. Install Windows 10 via Bootcamp
  2. Update integrated graphics drivers (Intel 540)
  3. Visit NVIDIA and download drivers for GTX 1070
  4. Setup the Aorus Gaming Box and connect it to your Macbook
  5. Open device manager, wait until the GTX 1070 has been installed
  6. Run the exe you downloaded in step 3
  7. Once your in the setup, choose "Custom" setup and tick the remove existing drivers option
  8. When complete don't restart, your gaming box is installed with the correct drivers, however it will show an error 12 in device manager.
  9. Disable port #10 - 9D19 (Mobile 6th/7th Generation Intel(R) Processor Family I/O PCI Express Root Port #10 - 9D19) in device manager.
  10. Unplug your Gaming Box
  11. Restart
  12. When the Windows logo is displayed, plug your Gaming Box back into the port.

Installation is complete.

Note:

If I need to plug the Auros Gaming Box back into my Macbook at any time, I need to restart my Macbook and plug it in at the Windows splash screen.

I have attached my benchmark findings.

chart (9)
chart (8)
chart (7)
chart (6)
chart (5)
chart (4)
chart (3)
chart (2)
chart (1)
chart

Needless to say, anyone with a Macbook, will be very happy with the Aorus Gaming Box.

Edited: 10 months  ago

ppm, sacthegreat, theitsage and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
Azrael
(@azrael)
July 26, 2017 4:05 pm  

Thanks for the detailed benchmarks!

How loud do the fans of the Gaming Box appear to you?

It seems to me we are getting quite contradicting reports on the fan noise - but I guess everybody's perception is personal.

ReplyQuote
Kim_KJD
(@kim_kjd)
July 26, 2017 9:14 pm  

Yes, there is fan noise. You can hear the fans for the PSU very faintly, mainly because the cord is so short you have to have the unit next to the laptop.

When you start using the card, note it only switches on when a program needs to use it, you'll hear the card fan spin.

So there is noise and under load it can be loud.

The positive is that when the card is under it heaviest load, we'll probably have headphones on anyway.

In my opinion, the Aorus Gaming Box would greatly benefit with a longer Thunderbolt 3 cable.
If it's going to make a lot of noise, get it far away.  

ReplyQuote
makar1
(@makar1)
July 28, 2017 10:14 am  

I bought the Belkin 2m Thunderbolt 3 cable for my Aorus Box which has been working fine. Passive 40Gbps cables are limited to 0.5m, so you need a more expensive active cable to maintain full bandwidth.

ReplyQuote
sayunkim
(@sayunkim)
August 2, 2017 10:07 pm  

How was the setup in OSX?

Also, when you have it plugged in and charging from the Aorus, does OSX System Report show it as charging at 87w or 100w?

Thank you!  🙂

Edited: 10 months  ago

ReplyQuote
SirLothar
(@sirlothar)
August 11, 2017 5:19 pm  

I'm not found it to work at all I'm afraid.

• I installed a clean version of windows 10 on bootcamp (via Mac Sierra)
  • Launched into windows and updated all the windows and apple software
  • Plugged in the aorus box and it appeared to be detecting it and installing something. 
  • Then restarted
  • Now whenever it's plugged in for boot or if I plug it in once windows loaded - it just crashes the machine.  Either I get a blue screen of death or just the windows logo is shown and it freezes on boot.

Any thoughts?

ReplyQuote
cegu
 cegu
(@cegu)
August 20, 2017 10:55 am  

Try turning off your macbook and disconnecting. Turn on your computer and only connect the Aorus when you see the windows logo appear during boot

ReplyQuote
uchlee
(@uchlee)
September 2, 2017 7:02 am  

Hi Kim,

I'm wondering if you used thunderbolt3-to-2 adapter to connect it with your MBP?

ReplyQuote
uchlee
(@uchlee)
September 2, 2017 7:10 am  

Oh, it seems that your MBP has thunderbolt3 ports. If so, never mind.

ReplyQuote
(@giuseppe_g)
September 4, 2017 3:35 am  

Hi KIM_KJD, Hi everyone

Thanks a lot for your guide. Any chance that this instructions will work on a late 2016 15" MBP? Since it looks like a clean implementation and adresses my needs perfectly, I would like to try it as soon as my Aorus Gaming Box arrives.

Best regards

Gigi

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
September 4, 2017 4:42 am  

@GiGi85, the 2016 15" MBP requires a different installation process. Please refer to guides for your system, particularly by @theitsage:

https://egpu.io/external-gpu-implementations-table/?table_filter ="2016 15-in Macbook "#search

eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference TableeGPU Setup 1.35

GiGi85 liked
ReplyQuote
smiley
(@smiley)
October 11, 2017 8:19 pm  

thanks for the guide. Setup is stressing me out. Got it to connect with Mac OS but the benchmarks aren't up to par, 200-400 scores on heaven and valley.

Im getting stuck on steps 4-5 for connecting the gaming box to win10 boot camp. When I connect the egpu to top tb3 port, it doesn't detect properly so it doesn't install the device in device manager. When I tried connecting to 2nd tb3 port, I see it begin to install the 1070 driver, but after a few seconds I get a blue screen and windows crashes.

i don't know what I'm doing wrong

im running i5-7xxx, and 8gb ram

ReplyQuote
detto87
(@detto87)
December 17, 2017 10:31 pm  

I have the following components:

- Late 2016 MBP 13" | i5 2,0 GHz 8GB RAM
- Sonnet 550 eGPU Box
- NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB

and followed the instructions from Kim_KJD from the first post exactly the same: fresh bootcamp install + bootcamp drivers, all updates (win itself + apple software) and some restarts inbetween. As soon as everything from the basic system was running and was up2date, I updated the Iris 540 driver (because Windows update doesn't have the newest one available). One restart later, I plugged in the eGPU Box with the 1060, waited for the device manager to recognize and install it as a GTX 1060 and not as a generic video adapter, and THEN installed the newest NVIDIA driver with the checkbox "remove existing drivers". Disabled the Port 10 (9D19) and THEN restarted.

Only thing I have to take care of is plugging the eGPU box in during seeing the Windows logo and not plugging it out during the running system.

Now I'm trying to get G-Sync running. Still have no clue so far how to achieve this though.

ReplyQuote