2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP455) [6th,4C,H] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + m...

Notifications
Clear all

2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP455) [6th,4C,H] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903  

RSS

Marco Di Giovanni
(@marco_di_giovanni)

System specs
2016 MacBook Pro (2.7 Ghz i7 6820-HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB storage, Radeon Pro 455 dGPU, Intel Iris Pro 630 1536 MB iGPU), External WD Elements portable drive (1 TB)
Catalina 10.15.4
Bootcamp partition running Windows 10 1903 (build 18362.30)
External Gaomon Pen Display PD1560 (main use for this display is digital drawing, but it also serves simply as an external monitor)

eGPU Hardware

Razer Core X enclosure
XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS XXX

So lemme start by saying that it was a damn nightmare to get this working properly on Bootcamp running Windows 10, but I must admit, it was also dumb on my part to try to run the games on the laptop's screen itself rather than on an external display. I had no idea that that's how eGPU's actually are supposed to be used, so I kinda felt dumb after learning that, so this is just in case there are others out there dumb like me who don't know this little but important fact.

Anyway, I pretty much followed the steps taken by another user, otto_metal, but with a few other things to consider:

Installation steps MacOS Catalina:
plug & play (but again, nothing will use the eGPU properly unless you're using them on the external display and close the laptop's own monitor)

Installation steps Windows

• I used a Windows 10 1903 ISO build 18362.30 on Bootcamp Assistant from MacOS Catalina and followed procedures. I use this build because apparently anything else after that makes it impossible for the eGPU to avoid getting the error code 12 as it appears on Device Manager.
  • Booted into Windows without the eGPU attached
  • When starting up Windows I followed Bootcamp Assistant and installed all drivers it came with
  • I disabled automatic updates by searching for ‘services.msc’, then go to Windows Updates, then at ‘Startup Type’ select ‘Disabled’
  • Installed Google Chrome (useful for Bootcampdrivers.com)
  • Downloaded April 2020 Red pack from Bootcampdrivers.com
  • Restarted into Safe Mode by going to System Configurations and choosing on the Boot tab that I wanted to automatically boot into this mode when I restarted Windows (Copied the folders with the DDU and Bootcamp AMD drivers on Desktop before that)
  • Windows rebooted in safe mode
  • From the Bootcampdrivers directory, unzipped and then ran DDU. I kept all settings at default, selected only AMD drivers and chose ‘clean and restart’.
  • Booted up. Verified in Device Manager that the Display Adapter was Microsoft Basic.
  • Installed aforementioned drivers from Bootcampdrivers.com (setup.exe). Installed without errors.
  • Disabled the PCI ports on the left side of the laptop (x8) and the PCI slot that the MacBook's AMD Radeon Pro 455 dGPU was connected through (x16) through Device Manager.
  • Connected the eGPU to the laptop through the first T3 port on the right side, and the external display directly to the eGPU enclosure with an HDMI connection. If the eGPU is recognized, the external display should be showing what's displayed on the laptop.

There was another hurdle for some reason that I had to deal with, which was that my WD Elements external drive wasn't being recognized by Windows, even though you could hear the sound that it connected and even showed up on Device Manager. The way I resolved this issue was by going to Create and Format Hard Disk Partitions. There it clearly showed up, and what I did was simply right-click on the disk and clicked on "Change Drive Letter and Paths" and then "Add", after which I changed the Drive letter from "D" to "E". I honestly don't know why I have to do this to make it accessible through Explorer, but it did and continues to do the trick, in case someone else with this build has the same issue.

Something else that I apparently needed to do for some of the older games I had (such as Mass Effect 2) to get them installed and working properly was download Nvidia's PhysX driver, which you can find here. After that the game launches and plays correctly.

Now you might think that without the other 2 ports on the left side disabled you can't connect a keyboard and mouse, but for some reason, even if the PCI ports are disabled on Device Manager, the laptop will still recognize the hardware (at least the mouse and keyboard that I have) and still keep working properly, and thank God for that, because I keep my games on my external drive, and with both right-side T3 ports taken, I would've need to get a new wireless mouse and keyboard that don't need some kind of USB receptors.

Anyway, I am SO relieved I got all this finally working properly on Bootcamp, and I hope this explanation on my part helps you avoid the problems I had and makes this an easy installation. Not exactly a benchmark guy, but I can say for sure games are running great, with even GTA V running smoothly at max graphic settings, and all my specs are said to even run Read Dead Redemption 2 beyond the recommended specs on systemrequirementslab.com.

Happy gaming!

This topic was modified 1 month ago

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016)
MacOS Catalina + Windows 10
2.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
Radeon Pro 455 2 GB

2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP455) [6th,4C,H] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Samuel Atherton
(@samuel_atherton)

@marco_di_giovanni, hi, i have basically the same specs as you do (Blackmagic enclosure rather than Razer only difference), but haven't been able to find a 1903 build for windows, would you be able to link the website or provide some steps? And when you say " first T3 port on the right side", do you mean the trackpad side or the screen side with the laptop open?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Marco Di Giovanni
(@marco_di_giovanni)

@samuel_atherton,

This is how I have it set up.

I managed to find an ISO of 1903 through torrents (hope saying that isn't against the rules here LoL

16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
Radeon Pro 455 2 GB

2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP455) [6th,4C,H] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
mindblower32
(@mindblower32)

@marco_di_giovanni,  I have just about the same config as you, also running a Razer Core X paired with a RX 580. I'm about to upgrade my macOS to Catalina all I need now is the Windows 10, 1903 ISO, build 18362.30 to re-install Windows through Bootcamp, care to give me a hint to which site you found it on? Kinda sketched-out going in blind, looking for an OS on torrent sites LoL  

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2016)
2.9 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
Radeon Pro 460 4 GB

ReplyQuote
Marco Di Giovanni
(@marco_di_giovanni)

@mindblower32, aaargh, matey! Shiver me timbers!

16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
Radeon Pro 455 2 GB

ReplyQuote