late-2016 15" Macbook Pro RP460 + GTX1080@32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V2) + macOS10.13.2/Win10-1709 (Ningauble77) // also Asus X99-Deluxe + GTX1080@16Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core via Thunderbolt EX3 PCIe)  

Ningauble77
(@ningauble77)
Trusted Member
January 13, 2018 7:35 pm  

System specs (model inc screen size, CPU, iGPU, dGPU, operating system)

2016 MacBook Pro 15"

Core i7-6700hq

Radeon Pro 460/Intel HD Graphics 530

MacOS 10.13.2su, Windows 10 Build 1709

also:

ASUS X99-Deluxe

Core i7 5960X@4.3Ghz

16GB DDR4-2800

ASUS Thunderbolt EX3

Windows 10 Build 1709

eGPU hardware (eGPU enclosure, video card, any third-party TB3 cable, any custom mods)

Razer Core v2

ASUS GTX 1080 Turbo

HP Spectre 32 4k Monitor

On Razer USB:  Corsair Strafe RGB/Razer Naga Chroma (uses 2 usb ports), HP Spectre 32 USB connection, Orico USB3.0 Drive Enclosure w/ 3TB backup drive

On MacBook pro secondary TB3 port on right side:  Startech usb-3.1 gen 2 type C enclosure with Crucial BX300 1TB ssd

Cable Matters 40Gbps/100W 6' TB3 cable (to MBPro)

Akitio 40Gbps/100W 6' TB3 cable (to Desktop)

Hardware pictures 

Installation steps (what did you do to get it all going?)

On MacBook Pro:

Installed GTX 1080 into Razer Core v2

Plugged in GTX 1080 to Spectre 32

Plugged in Core v2 to top right TB3 port

Win10

Authorized Core v2

Disabled PCIe root 1905

reboot

Installed latest Geforce Drivers

Plugged in peripherals (Have to plug external SSD to bottom right TB3 port, have to do so while mac is shut down, hotplugging usb peripherals causes NVidia driver to BSOD)

MacOS 10.13.2su

Installed Nvidia web drivers

Reboot to safe mode, enable SIP without kext signing

Installed NVDAEgpu package

Downloaded ASIX Ethernet drivers

Installed them

Set ASIX device to use 100Mbit mode instead of gigabit(Ethernet would stop working after a few minutes at gigabit speeds in MacOS)

For Optimal results:

Boot with egpu Unplugged

Sign in to MacOS

Hotplug egpu

Sign out->causes external monitor to come up with login screen

Sign in

ASUS X99-Deluxe Desktop

Boot System with 2nd GTX 1080 in Motherboard PCIe slot

Plug in Core v2

Authorize Core v2 to always enable

Geforce Drivers are already installed

Switch video cables from onboard 1080 to Core v2 1080

Can now boot headless but get no display output til windows 10 login screen comes up

When I log in I get a requester from the Thunderbolt Software saying the EGPU may not work properly, so far nothing has not worked or crashed though

To switch from Desktop to MacBook Pro and vice-versa just need to swap TB3 cable connection to Core.

Benchmarks (Include a CUDA-Z or AIDA64 eGPU bandwidth pic. Optional: Valley, 3dmark, etc noting if it’s on internal/external LCD )

Will post screenshots when I am able to, for now:

2016 MacBook Pro 2016:

Cuda Z H2d:2257 MiB/s

Cuda Z D2H:2675 MiB/s           

Comments (eg: how has the eGPU improved your workflow or gaming?)

Had an GTX 1080 SLI setup which I wasn't getting much benefit from second card, had a 2016 MacBook Pro I use for work.  I was intrigued with the idea of using the MBPro as my main machine and taking one of the 1080's and putting it in an egpu enclosure.  However, I didn't want to make it difficult to use the MacBook pro on the road more or less as-is with the Radeon available when not docked, so I went with the PCIe 1905 disable solution.

Decided to keep my desktop setup essentially intact for now (minus its second 1080 in SLI), being able to switch back and forth with 1 cable is very convenient.  So far I've been impressed with the MacBook Pro/egpu setup, with the exception of games which are single threaded cpu bound (Elder Scrolls Online being the most obvious one).  The 6700HQ in boot camp never clocks higher than 3.1 Ghz even in games which only use 1-2 cores.

Unresolved issues:

Desktop:

Desktop setup is sharing bandwidth with my m.2 socket and is only providing 16Gbps TB3 bandwidth (I don't think this is how it is supposed to work, the bottom slot is supposed to be x8, so it should be kicking down to 4x for the slot 4x for the m.2.  I could move the ThunderEX card but I had issues with the system not posting at all when I first installed it a year ago so I might just leave things as is for the time being.

MacBook:

Nvidia BSOD's when hotplugging USB devices.  This is my biggest complaint right now with this setup, I have to shut down the Mac to plug in and unplug USB devices.  Tangentially related I had to set Power Down Hard Disks to Never or else the USB SSD enclosure would drop and come back while idle, bringing up the "what do you want to do with external drives" requestor every time I would not access it for 20 min.

Booting MacOS with the egpu plugged in works, but I get corrupted graphics on the internal display and external display before I get to the login screen, and had long black screens before launching games/3d apps.  If I hot plug/log out/log in, everything works well.  Metal performance seems excellent, OpenGL performance is hit or miss.

When I first set the egpu up in MacOS, I was plugged into the display via HDMI 2.0, which had worked fine in Bootcamp.  In MacOS it would show the Spectre 32 in displays control panel but the monitor never got a signal.  When I switched to DisplayPort everything came alive and worked fine.  I recently had issues driving the Spectre 32 from the onboard Radeon via HDMI 2.0 adapter too with similar results, so I am not sure if this is a MacOS/SPectre32 issue and not a egpu problem.

The ASIX Ethernet built into the Core v2 works brilliantly under Win10, but would stop working after a few minutes unless I take it out of auto mode and set it manually to 100Mbit instead of gigabit speeds.

Final issue with the MacBook Pro, is the 6700HQ performance is substantially lower in windows than MacOS, with a 3800/12000 geekbench 4 score vs 4200/14000 in MacOS.  Additionally in neither system does it use the lower core turbo modes.  It basically runs at 3.1Ghz under load regardless of the number of active cores.  I've tried messing with Throttlestop to fix this problem in windows but have been unable to make it use the x35 single core multiplier or x33 dual core multiplier, which would help a ton in Elder Scrolls Online.  In CPU bottlenecked areas of that game, the Desktop gets about 10fps higher than the MBpro.

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
January 14, 2018 2:01 pm  

Great work getting these two computers sharing the eGPU. Regarding your Desktop's 16Gbps bandwidth, have you checked whether the Thunderbolt controller is Alpine Ridge or Falcon Ridge? I tried an ASUS X99 Rampage V with the Thunderbolt EX3 add-on card. I was confused by the low bandwidth too. A little digging revealed the board had the older and slower Falcon Ridge controller. This may very well be the same with your X99 Deluxe board.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

66 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
January 15, 2018 5:47 am  

@ningauble77 , as you are hotplugging the eGPU in macOS, can you please run CUDA-Z there to see if the H2D numbers match the 22xxMiB/s seen in Windows?

We've noted there is lowered H2D bandwidth in Windows when boot up via apple_set_os.efi which we'd expect to be match in macOS if bootup with eGPU attached. When hotplugged, it may see the higher 22xxMiB/s numbers. More details in:

https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/mbp-tb3-port-underperformance-16xxmibs-instead-of-22xxmibs-under-macos-or-windowsapple_set_os-efi/

2013 15" Dell Latitude E6540 HD8790M + RX580@4Gbps-EC2 (EXP GDC 8.x) + macOS 10.13.5 & Win10
2013 15" HP ZBook 15 K610M + RX580@4Gbps-EC2 (EXP GDC 8.x) + Win10
--
eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference TableeGPU Setup 1.35

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
Ningauble77
(@ningauble77)
Trusted Member
January 15, 2018 3:14 pm  

Looks like I am getting the reduced bandwidth in MacOS:

CUDA-Z H2D:1478 MiB/s

CUDA-Z D2H:2526 MiB/s

I tested it hotplugging and booting MacOS with egpu plugged in, got same results on the test.

ReplyQuote
dblgnet
(@dblgnet)
January 17, 2018 10:46 pm  

How do you find the fan noise? That's my only concern at this point. (Though GbE not working is correctly is also concerning)

ReplyQuote
Ningauble77
(@ningauble77)
Trusted Member
January 18, 2018 1:00 am  
Posted by: dblgnet

How do you find the fan noise? That's my only concern at this point. (Though GbE not working is correctly is also concerning)

Fans are tolerable at idle but louder than I think they ought to be.  Under load its pretty obnoxiously loud, my gpu is relatively noisy to begin with which doesn't help, but the Core fans are really loud under load too.  I do notice the core v2 seems quieter when plugged into the desktop, so it is possible the Power Delivery kicks the fans up some, it may just be that the desktop's fans drown it out slightly. 

The fans are somewhat unpredictable, I've cold booted into MacOS without the idle fans making audible noise at all, then when I rebooted into windows it went nuts with the fans full blast for a few minutes at idle.  I don't think the fan profiles are implemented correctly.

Posted by: theitsage

Great work getting these two computers sharing the eGPU. Regarding your Desktop's 16Gbps bandwidth, have you checked whether the Thunderbolt controller is Alpine Ridge or Falcon Ridge? I tried an ASUS X99 Rampage V with the Thunderbolt EX3 add-on card. I was confused by the low bandwidth too. A little digging revealed the board had the older and slower Falcon Ridge controller. This may very well be the same with your X99 Deluxe board.

According to HWInfo64, The TB controller is Alpine Ridge, and the links to both the m.2 SSD and the TB3 controller are x4. When I am feeling more industrious I will move the SSD onto a riser card in one of the free pcie slots and see if anything changes. I can post a screenshot:

AlpineRidge

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
bagpipehero
(@bagpipehero)
January 18, 2018 11:58 am  

Can someone please explain what "enable SIP without kext signing" means on the reboot to safe mode step, and how to do this? 

Also, does anyone have any insight on whether this will work with a Razer Core V1?

Thank you!

ReplyQuote
Ningauble77
(@ningauble77)
Trusted Member
January 18, 2018 6:52 pm  
Posted by: bagpipehero

Can someone please explain what "enable SIP without kext signing" means on the reboot to safe mode step, and how to do this? 

Also, does anyone have any insight on whether this will work with a Razer Core V1?

Thank you!

Sorry I wasn't specific enough, in order to install the NVDAEgpu.kext package, SIP kernel signing requirements need to be turned off to allow unsigned software to be installed as  kernel extension.

To do so:

1.  Restart the MacBook pro and hold down command+R to boot into recovery mode

2.  go to the tools menu and select terminal

3.  Type 'csrutil enable --without kext' and hit enter (without the quotes)

4.  Select restart from the apple menu

I believe you can make this work with the core v1, but you need to install a second package which stops MacOS from refusing to work with the TI82 thunderbolt chip in the Core v1.  If you don't do this MacOS refuses to even see the core at all.  There should be a thread here on the forums explaining how to do this.

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
bagpipehero
(@bagpipehero)
January 20, 2018 8:09 pm  

Thanks for the answer - I was able to get this to work following your instructions 🙂 - as well as using the TB3 enabler ( https://github.com/KhaosT/tb3-enabler ). 

My setup is a Touchbar 15 inch MBP with dGPU, Razer Core, and GTX 1080.

I encountered a couple problems while setting up that you didn't list:

I had the same buggy experience with black screens when I had mirrored displays. However this got fixed when I set the external monitor as my main one. Additionally, when my computer froze and I had to force shut-down it, the hotplug didn't seem to work after booting - which I fixed by re-running NVDAEgpu. However this may be a problem in the future as I want to re-enable csrutil, so hopefully this step was not actually necessary.

Furthermore I discovered that the game I wanted to play on Mac - Fortnite, has problems with external GPUs on Macs - so I will have to go back to bootcamp for that. However having an eGPU on MacOS will be amazing for my work!

ReplyQuote
(@runolfur_geir_gudbjornsson)
January 22, 2018 9:54 pm  

Hi, I just bought the Core V2 and it arrived today. Stupid me thought it was competable with osx. Little did I know. Well now I have started digging and found this thread and this was the only one that helped me get it to get it to work with osx. But I am having some issues that seams to be different from what I read in here. My machine is a 15" MBP (late 2016), 2,7GHZ i7, 16GB ram, Radeone Pro 455 / Intel HD 530. 
If i boot into osx with the Core V2 plugged in, I get the weird graphic glitches that you described, the system report shows me running both external and internal monitors of my Geforce GTX980, but I have some sort of a lag going on, all clicks are delayed and the mouse feels jerky. 
If i boot into High Sierra and then hot plug sign-out/sing-in, I have no lag og delays but my system report shows me running both monitors of the Radeon 455 Pci-e gpu. The Gtx 980 card is visible on the list though.

any thought on why this is different and am I the only one that gets this behaviour?

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
January 22, 2018 10:46 pm  

@runolfur_geir_gudbjornsson , we've noted that Apple firmware is lowering TB3 bandwidth if it detects a NVidia eGPU on bootup:

https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/mbp-tb3-port-underperformance-16xxmibs-instead-of-22xxmibs-under-macos-or-windowsapple_set_os-efi/

While this may help balance I/O & eGPU performance on TB3 enclosures with I/O ports on a single TB3 controller, it may be detrimental to the Razer Core V2 performance. It runs two TB3 controllers off the TB3 bus.. one for the eGPU and one for I/O.

Hotplugging is a way to hide the eGPU from the Apple firmware to circumvent this and any other Apple handicaps created for Nvidia eGPUs. Nvidia isn't an Apple eGPU partner.

2013 15" Dell Latitude E6540 HD8790M + RX580@4Gbps-EC2 (EXP GDC 8.x) + macOS 10.13.5 & Win10
2013 15" HP ZBook 15 K610M + RX580@4Gbps-EC2 (EXP GDC 8.x) + Win10
--
eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference TableeGPU Setup 1.35

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
lefuturdelavenir
(@lefuturdelavenir)
May 25, 2018 5:06 pm  

I'm having difficulties getting rid ouf error 12 with my Macbook Pro 2017 no-touchbar and Razer Core V2 with RX570.
One thing that I've found weird is that I don't remember authorising the Razer Core. I can see the it when I go to the Thunderbolt software in "View Attached Devices" but the "Manage Approved Devices" menu is grayed out as "Approved Attached Devices".
Does those options available to you guys ?
I've read the dedicated guide on this forum with no luck. I have large memory area and I've tried to have windows reallocate my Thunderbolt PCIe bridges with different approach but it's not working for the moment.

MacBook Pro 2017 no-touchbar; Razer Core V2; RX 570

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
May 25, 2018 8:52 pm  

@lefuturdelavenir There's no need for Intel Thunderbolt Software on a Mac running Windows through Bootcamp. The firmware automatically authorizes communication with Thunderbolt devices. For the non Touch Bar MBP, I'd recommend disabling the PCI Root Port to the iSight camera. Make sure you connector the eGPU to the Thunderbolt 3 port closest to the TAB key.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

66 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
lefuturdelavenir
(@lefuturdelavenir)
May 26, 2018 4:33 pm  

@itsage I tried disabling the PCI Root Port on the iSight camera but it did not solve the problem. I even disable another PCI Root Port, the one of the wireless card, without luck. I also tried the other USB-C port, the one near the TAB key as you suggested but still no.

I am surprise to be the only one with this problem. This configuration look almost plug-and-play for most. I wonder what's different in my case. I think one difference is that I did not used the Bootcamp assistant in order to install my Windows. The reason is the assistant force a minimum of 37GB of storage for Windows and because I only have a 128GB SSD I looked for another installation method. I have manually create a partition at the end of my disk with something like this :

diskutil apfs resizeContainer disk1 100g FAT32 WINDOWS 0b

This will create a partition of about 22GB for windows. Then I used vmware fusion and create a virtual machine that has the first and third (EFI and Window partition, but not the apfs container) partition as a virtual disk and the Windows ISO as a CDROM. The installation can run in the background in a virtual machine when I am running macOS doing other stuff. I found that convenient.
I don't think this process has anything to do with my "error 12" problem. What do you think ?

ReplyQuote
lefuturdelavenir
(@lefuturdelavenir)
June 5, 2018 12:21 pm  

I've manage to solve my problem. Turns out the installation method via vmware fusion is not to blame. Here is my installation process to install Windows on an external SSD (Windows-to-go mode):

• Under macOS, create a 200MB HFS+ partition at the end of the target USB drive (USB 3.1 10Gbps controller VIA VL716 with SATA Crucial SSD) ;
  • Install rEFind on this partition with the special apple_set_os.efi on it ;
  • Virtualize the full disk and install windows on the external USB drive via vmware (without destroying the previously created partition !) ;
  • When the installation is completed, reboot directly on the windows partition with the boot manager ;
  • Install Bootcamp drivers, run DDU, reboot then install Intel drivers ;
  • Reboot and plug the eGPU while windows is booting (when the circles start to spin) ;
  • Install RX 570 drivers, get a error 12 ;
  • Disable iSight camera, just in case, then poweroff;
  • From now on, plug the eGPU before booting and keep it plugged. Start windows thru rEFind and apple_set_os.efi ;
  • Done. No more error 12.

Nota : if I boot windows and plug the eGPU while booting, the video card is recognize but I have error 12. The eGPU has to be plugged prior to the boot in order to work now. That's been said, when I first tried to boot with eGPU plugged in (without apple_set_os.efi nor Intel drivers) it crashed with weird scary artifacts on screen and almost destroyed the Windows installation. At that time I thought the eGPU has to be plugged during the boot. Then, after using apple_set_os.efi and proper drivers installation and still getting error 12, I gave another try with the eGPU plugged in prior to boot and it worked. I still don't understand why it crashed in the first place. Was it because of the absence of apple_set_os.efi, even if I don't have dGPU? Or because of the drivers? I still don't know.
Nota 2 : I can boot from the USB disk plugged to the razer core v2. Meaning the Apple firmware and boot manager do recognize the disk thru Thunderbolt. I do not recommend this setup because I have experienced some BSOD.

ReplyQuote