2017 12" Toshiba Portégé X20W-D + R9 Fury [email protected] (XG Station Pro) + Win10 [theitsage]  

RSS

theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
July 9, 2018 2:19 pm  

A recent question on whether the ASUS XG Station Pro has enough clearance for an AIO hybrid GPU got me intrigued. I knew from dissembling this enclosure there's not much room at all. I do have an R9 Fury X graphics card that looks like it could fit so I went for it. The short answer is no room for a hybrid card. The long answer is you can fit them if you don't mind the cyborg look.

System specs:

2017 12" Toshiba Portege X20W-D - i5-7200/Iris HD Graphics 620 iGPU/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

eGPU hardware:

ASUS XG Station Pro + R9 Fury X + 1.5m Thunderbolt 3 cable

ASUS XG Station Pro + GTX 980 Ti + 1.5m Thunderbolt 3 cable

Hardware pictures:

Installation steps:

If you're have the budget and time to do custom loop water cooling, you can close all panels on the XG Station Pro. In the GTX 980 Ti photo, I put a regular size beer bottle in the space near the front of the enclosure to show there's sufficient space for a water block. There's barely room between the back of the GPU and the two 120mm enclosure cooling fans. In order to fit a radiator and fan in this space, you'll need a thin profile radiator.

At first glance I thought the length of the R9 Fury X would give enough room for the radiator to be mounted on the existing holes of the cooling fan. Due to the hoses coming out horizontally, they block up more space than I imagined. I ended up letting the radiator float and rest against the back of the enclosure. For the GTX 980 Ti, I routed the radiator outside then flipped it around then fastened in the four mounting screws.

Benchmarks:

While I was at it, I ran some Unigine benchmarks. R9 Fury X results are on the left. GTX 980 Ti results are on the right.

Comments:

While it's possible to run a liquid cooled graphics card with the ASUS XG Station Pro, I can't recommend doing so. The best feature of this eGPU enclosure is the 0dB mode during idle and light load. During use with the GTX 980 Ti Hybrid and R9 Fury X, there's constant noise from the water pump. The XG Station Pro is best paired with a card that has silent/fan-stop mode.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

86 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote