2016 13" Dell XPS 9360 + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node) + Win10 [Juan Ortuzar]^  

RSS

(@juan_ortuzar)
October 20, 2017 7:49 pm  

Hello fellas

So this is my work laptop that I bought recently. Very happy with it. But i wanted to do some light gaming (mainly World of Warcraft) and as I had somewhere in my stuff an old PNY GTX 760, I said, lets give a try to the eGPU that I have been reading so much. So, here I go:

Things im using:

- Akitio Node and its corresponding cables and stuff

- XPS 9360

- GTX 760

1) Updated TB3 drivers and Node firmware ( https://www.akitio.com/firmware/node-firmware)

2) Installed last Geforce experience

3) GPU detected immediately but only on external display through HDMI.

This was a little frustrating because I wanted to game in the internal display and I had read before buying the node that Optimus would solve that issue for me. After researching and experimenting a lot, I found a solution (mix of research+luck)

This method requires no extra hardware such as an HDMI dummy. But requires a 5 USD software called "Borderless gaming" on Steam.

1) With Node connected, set your display on Extended.

2) Set your external display as the main display

3) Run your game (tested on WOW) on windowed mode

4) Scroll your game window to the internal display

5) Select the "PC screen only" option (to deactivate your external display). At this point your eGPU will be running on the windowed game. If you close the game you will have to start all over game.

5) Run "Borderless gaming" and choose your game to force full screen (from the list, usually will detect it since the game will be running).

6) Voilá. Enjoy!

I bought a headerless ghost adapter in the hope of an easier method.

I will update this topic when I try out the dummy. Hope this is helpful!

All the best,

Juan

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote