2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 & m...

Notifications
Clear all

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 & macOS 10.15 // windows on external SSD  

RSS

(@nils_kl)

System specs

Mid 2017 13" MacBook Pro- 3,3 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5 - 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 - Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650

eGPU hardware 

Razer Core X - AMD Radeon RX 580 + TB3 cable

Installation steps 

These steps include the installation of windows 10 on your external SSD drive. If you already installed windows on your internal drive via Bootcamp just ignore the steps marked with *

On your MacOS:

• *open the Bootcamp-Assistant, go to "Action", download the "Windows Support Software" and put it on an USB-Stick (you gonna need it later)
  • Install rEFInd following these steps
  • Mount your EFI Partition following these steps
  • *put the apple_set_os.efi for Catalina into the folder /boot/efi/EFI/custom on your SSD (you need to create the custom folder if it does not exist already)

*On any Windows OS (can be a Virtual Machine):

• Download wintousb
  • Get Windows 10 1903 V1 iso-file (it's important to chose the 1903 version. if its working for you on newer versions please let me know)
  • Install Windows via wintousb on your external SSD. In wintousb select "Windows 10 home" as Operating System since this is the only one the free version of wintousb supports
  • Copy the "Windows Support Software"-Folder (from your USB-Stick) into your "C:" root folder of the external SSD

On your Macbook:

• On your turned off MacBook attach your Core X to the first usb-c port on the left side (the one closest to the TAB-key). Attach the external SSD on the USB-C above.
  • Start your MacBook. If you installed rEFInd successfully it should show up while booting. First select the apple_set_os.efi and click enter (nothing happens) afterwards select the Windows partition on your SSD and start windows (you need to follow this procedure every time you want to start windows from your external SSD. If you do not run the .efi first, windows is freezing while booting up since it is not able to connect to your eGPU).
  • go though the installation process of windows
    • *you need to attach an external keyboard since the MacBook drivers are not installed yet.
  • *After setting up your winOS go to the "Windows Support Software"-folder and install the Bootcamp drivers.
  • Download DDU 
  • Restart your Windows-Partition in safe-mode
  • Open the DDU and deinstall all AMD drivers (check all boxes in the AMD Specific Options) 2 times without restarting and then once with the restart option. If you were successful the eGPU should show up as "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" in your Device Manager.
  • Download and install the latest Radeon graphic driver in Windows and you are ready to go.

Comments

I use my eGPU in windows almost exclusively to get a higher FPS in CS:GO.

Please let me know if have additional information which should be added to this post.

2017 13" MacBook Pro i5 3.5Ghz - 16GB RAM
Razer Core X + AMD Radeon RX 580

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 & macOS 10.15 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
(@jose_berrio)

Im thinking of getting a setup similar to yours (actually primarily for CSGO). 

Was wondering what kind of FPS were you pushing with this? I was definitely thinking of the razer core x... still deciding on the GPU... 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
(@nils_kl)

@Jose Berrio in average the csgo-internal fps ticker shows something between 250 and 300

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 & macOS 10.15 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
(@kavin_truong)

Same exact setup as you have right now , I was on Catalina , I just refreshed my Mac to back to High Sierra.. my issue before was in Mac my gpu would run fine but in windows it would not detect my razer x core at all

This post was modified 1 month ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
jonwatso
(@jonwatso)
Trusted Member

Good work getting it to work on an external SSD, i struggled getting it to work when i orginally tried it.

2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP560) [7th,4C,H] + RX Vega 64@ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core) + macOS 10.15.2 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
(@emil_johansen)

This guide worked flawlessly for me with the same Macbook, Razer Core X, Windows on my internal SSD and I used an RTX 2060, so I just swapped the Radeon drivers for the Geforce drivers in the driver install step (the last step). 

Thanks a ton for sharing. 

This post was modified 3 weeks ago

ReplyQuote
(@josue_cadenas)

@nils_kl, Have you tried your setup with any modern graphic intensive AAA titles? How well does it perform?

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports)

ReplyQuote
(@nils_kl)

@josue_cadenas, since I'm not much of a gamer myself I haven't. Sorry.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

@josue_cadenas, I have a similar set up (same Macbook) and have tested quite a few modern games in one of my threads.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 560 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node Lite) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
(@aroonsak_bootchai)

Good work! thank you.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago

ReplyQuote