2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS ...

Notifications
Clear all

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15.2 & Win10 1809 [eightarmedpet]  

RSS

Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

System specs (model inc screen size, CPU, iGPU, dGPU, operating system user which eGPU is being used)

13inch MacBook Pro, the one before they got more cores 🙁 

eGPU hardware (eGPU enclosure, video card, any third-party TB3 cable, any custom mods)

Mantiz Venus Rev 2 (120MM fan), 2x Caldigit active TB3 cables additional Noctura fan inside the Mantiz to push air out the back (didn't want to mod the case).

Hardware pictures 

Once I tidy my desk, but I've posted plenty before.

Installation steps (what did you do to get it all going?)

I swear the EFI Bootloader didn't work for me for a bit, but now I'm wondering if the issue was my degraded short TB3 cable which I have since replaced and now everything is working just fine. I've disabled all iSight cameras because it may have helped once but I doing think its needed.

SO.. boot holding down Alt, select EFI disc, press Q select Windows... wait for windows to boot. 

This was a card swap for my Vega 56 - I didn't even reinstall drivers (running the latest 2020 release).

Edit: totally forgot that I had secure boot off, disabled SIP, enabled boot from external and file vault is off. Some of those things may be the same thing but I’ve basically disabled all security.

Benchmarks 

A couple attached but these things may as well be in Greek to me... 

Screenshot 2019 12 20 at 09.34.20
Screenshot 2019 12 20 at 09.34.09

Screenshot 2019 12 20 at 11.11.44

(oddly close to itssage 's results here if I am not mistaken, despite loopback and MUCH less powerful CPU).

Comments 

My first RX 5700 XT worked off the bat but then died within a couple of days - error 43 in Windows and kernel panics in macOS so lets see how this one plays out.

Worth noting I'm running peripherals off the Venus and they work perfectly, headphones, ethernet, wireless mouse.

The RX 5700 XT is wayyy quieter than the Vega was and as mentioned elsewhere (when I installed my previous RX 5700 XT) the Mantiz PSU is now the loudest part of the set up when the MacBook isn't under load so I may look into replacing that.

As ever, I'm also using the LG Ultrafine 5K which means nothing is directly connected top my GPU and as a result I'm experiencing a larger performance loss than others would. I'm torn what to do at this stage, I've been eyeing up the Louqe Ghost PC case which is beautiful and with the right mobo I could build a powerful mini PC and still use my LG ultra fine (after a brief stint with a normal high end LG 4K I can't get rid of it, the quality difference was too great). 

This topic was modified 7 months ago

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
aarvee
(@aarvee)

@eightarmedpet Thanks for the build update, just had a question. I am using the same Apple MBP 13" 2017 as yours, and I use macOS 10.15.1 with Bootcamp-Windows-10 1809 for my AMD RX560 eGPU setup. Should I update my macOS version to 10.15.3 (or whichever is the latest)? Will it affect my bootcamp+eGPU setup? Well, macOS updates aren't a priority but I thought I'd ask since I noticed you're using macOS 10.15.2. 

This post was modified 4 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote