2017 13" Macbook Pro [7th,2C,U] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win...

Notifications
Clear all

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [alejo_sierra]  

RSS

alejo_sierra
(@alejo_sierra)

System specs 

• 2017 13" MacBook Pro (Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640) no touchbar, 2 TB3 ports, Ram:8GB, SSD:256GB
  • MacOS Catalina
  • 34" Samsung Ultrawide C34H890

eGPU hardware 

Context

Previously I had the same setup with Win10 1903 working but had some issues running Rainbow 6 Siege (random crashes. mostly loading a multiplayer session)

I tried updating Windows 1903->2004 but the update failed and windows stopped booting at all. I removed the windows partition from the bootcamp assistant and then created a new one (60GB).

Installation steps

1. Install Bootcamp from MacOS with the latest Win 10 iso downloaded from Microsoft.(Win 10 2004 build 19041.264)
  2. Install Windows + Bootcamp Drivers
  3. Restart
  4. Hot Plug the eGPU after login (no issues which is unusual)
  5. Download and Install Nvidia Drivers (GPU recognized in device manager)
  6. Plug in USB mouse and keyboard into eGPU through USB hub (worked but I would suggest not doing that, because after that I tried plugging an external SSD into the other TB3 port and got BSOD, the same happened when plugging the SSD to the eGPU)
    • At this point hot plugging stopped working properly (BSODs)
  7. Start up process. The only way to make the eGPU work correctly (didn´t try efi mod)
    1. Turn on with the option key pressed (eGPU disconnected)
    2. Choose Win while preparing the TB3 cable
    3. Right when I see the dots circle under the win logo, I plug in the eGPU
    4. Wait for login (sometimes it takes longer than usual)
    5. Sometimes I have to disable and enable the Cirrus Logic sound adapter in the device manager (usually this happens if Step 4 took longer than expected).

Comments

I am able to play Rainbow 6 and Battlefield 4 with no issues, but I cant use the other TB3 port. I was hopping to use it for the external SSD, but whenever I try to plug something i get BSOD. So everything (mouse, kb and SSD) must be connected to the eGPU.

Later I will test Project CARS 2, F1 2020 and Assetto Corsa, using the last USB port for my Logitech G29.

The start up process is a little tricky: if I boot windows with the eGPU plugged in, then the external monitor works fine but the the MBP screen fails. If I plug it too late then I get BSOD.

2017 13" MacBook Pro (7th,2C,U) no touchbar + GTX 1070 @ AORUS Gaming Box

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
AdmrlHorizon
(@admrlhorizon)

@alejo_sierra, hello, I read your post and I’m very curious on the results for sim racing. What results did you get for those games? Otherwise nice post! Ik this may be a late comment 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
alejo_sierra
(@alejo_sierra)

@admrlhorizon, Hi. It went pretty well, I haven't measured fps, but I have been able to play without much problems with ultra quality graphics with a resolution of 3440 x 1440.

Only with F1 2020 I had to reduce a little bit the quality to have a smoother experience, particularly during pit stops.

2017 13" MacBook Pro (7th,2C,U) no touchbar + GTX 1070 @ AORUS Gaming Box

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
AdmrlHorizon
(@admrlhorizon)

@alejo_sierra, that’s good to hear but is it possible that you could do some fps benchmarks? By any chance you play with kids like larger maps and open world maps? If not that’s okay I guess an average of 10-20fps is possible in the larger open world maps. But if it’s possible to do some fps benchmarks for asseto/f1/ and project cars that be awesome!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

@admrlhorizon, I have a few gaming benchmarks in my build guides with the 2017 13inch and a 1070 if of interest. 

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote