Setup & Software Discussions
2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS...

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15.1 & Win10 1903 [itsage]  

RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

TUL sent me the PowerColor Red Devil RX 5700 XT for eGPU testing. It’s a massive card compared to the reference one. This translates to cool and quiet operation. The three 90mm cooling fans stay OFF until the temp reaches 60 degrees C. Even when they’re running full speed, it’s not loud at all. I heard the PSU fan more than the GPU fans.

System specs:

2017 13″ MacBook Pro – i7-7567U/Iris Plus 650 iGPU/16GB RAM/1TB SSD

eGPU hardware:

Mantiz Venus + PowerColor Red Devil RX 5700 XT + .5m Thunderbolt 3 cable + ASUS MB16AC USB-C Monitor – Huawei VR2 DisplayPort to USB-C cable

Hardware pictures:

Installation steps:

In macOS 10.15.1 Dev Beta 3 [19B86a] there was no setup involved with a Thunderbolt 3 Mac such as this 2017 13″ MacBook Pro. It was plug-and-play to get the eGPU going. Both the RX 5700 XT graphics card and Mantiz Venus also have native support. In order to produce USB-C monitor output, I used the Huawei VR-C cable. It has two input ends connecting to a USB-C port on the MacBook Pro (for bus power) and a DisplayPort on the RX 5700 XT eGPU then one USB-C monitor output end connecting to the ASUS 15″ Portable USB-C FHD monitor.

Due to recent Win10 1903 versions causing error 12 on many Thunderbolt 3 laptops, I’ve been testing my TB3 computers with different OS Build versions. This 2017 13″ MacBook Pro is running the latest Windows 10 1903 (OS Build 18362.449). The two components under PCI Express Root Port #5 -9D14 to the left-sided Thunderbolt 3 controller need to be disabled in order to resolve error 12. Through the use of @goalque‘s automate-eGPU EFI, the iGPU stays activated for internal display eGPU acceleration (AMD XConnect). Here’s my setup procedure:

• Install Windows 10 ISO through Bootcamp Assistant [in macOS]
  • Create a 24MB FAT partition in Disk Utility and copy @goalque‘s automate-eGPU EFI onto it [in macOS]
  • Hold OPTION at boot to select EFI drive and hit Q to access automate-eGPU EFI [boot selection]
  • Select “View by Connection” in Device Manager then locate and disable two bottom components under x4 PCIe Root Port #5 – 9D14 [in Windows]
  • Shut MacBook Pro down then connect eGPU to front left Thunderbolt 3 port [system OFF]
  • Boot into Windows via automate-eGPU EFI [boot selection]
  • Confirm a new Microsoft Basic Display Adapter in Device Manager then install Radeon drivers [in Windows]

Benchmarks:

I ran all tests in Windows Boot Camp. The synthetic benchmarks were ran through internal display, loopback monitor, and external monitor through the ASUS MB16AC.

Internal Display Loopback Monitor External Monitor

Comments:

This PowerColor Red Devil RX 5700 XT ran nice and quiet. The dual core U-CPU yielded slightly less performance overall compared to quad core H-CPU host such as the 2016 15″ MacBook Pro. At the moment drivers for Navi in Windows is not well optimized for eGPU internal display and loopback mode. The performance loss is significant compared external monitor mode (relatively to Polaris and Vega cards). RGB feature on this card is adjustable in Windows only with Devilzone software. Turn OFF mode would disable RGB except the port LEDs.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
siyuanchu
(@siyuanchu)

I installed my Windows as Windows To Go, and it's a 15-inch 2017 RMBP. I checked out the resources in the forum and it says 15 inch mbp can only install the modified driver from bootcampdriver.com. Is there anyway I can install the official AMD driver? When I tried, the software says no device detected. 

MacBook Pro 15 inch 2017 RX560
Mantiz Venus
AMD Radeon 5700XT
macOS 10.15.1
Windows To Go 1809
Sandisk Ultra SSD 480GB

ReplyQuote
Nathan Ramos
(@nathan_ramos)

@itsage

Have you been able to see any updates on this now that the new November Adrenaline AMD Drivers were released on BootCampDrivers.com were released? Sorry if this is a noob question, this will be my first build on a MBP w/eGPU.

Also, I had a 2018 MBP with a Sapphire 5700 XT set up; initially it ran graphics on internal GPU first day but after a restart, the machine was never able to see the card correctly again and I continued to get the Code 12 error. I will be downgrading to the May Windows 10 Update of 1903 (18362.295) later this evening to test if it will work with that update.

Do you see/think the power is sufficient for the eGPU? Would upgrading the PSU help? 

Last question: Are you running bootcamp on the internal SSD or the SATA connection internal to the eGPU?

Thanks!

2018 MacBook Pro 15"
2019 MacBook Pro 13" + Mantiz Venus (MZ-02) + Sapphire AMD 5700 XT

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@nathan_ramos I don’t think there’s any changes to effected systems regarding Radeon 19.11.1 version. This 2017 13″ MacBook Pro is fortunately not effected by error 12 in newest Windows 10 versions. I updated to Win10 1909 (18363.449) yesterday and the RX 5700 eGPU worked fine. The Mantiz Venus stock PSU has more than enough power for RX 5700/XT. I’ve always used the internal drive for Windows partition. External SSD is to store games. 

This post was modified 6 days ago

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
Nathan Ramos
(@nathan_ramos)

@itsage

That's good to know. Have you tried any of this on a 15" MBP w/dGPU?

2018 MacBook Pro 15"
2019 MacBook Pro 13" + Mantiz Venus (MZ-02) + Sapphire AMD 5700 XT

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

100% sure those ports need disabling? I have nothing disabled and no issues (currently, touch wood) but I’m using 1809 and a Vega card so not the exact same set up. 

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote