Setup & Software Discussions
2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS...

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.3 & Win10 [Eightarmedpet]  

RSS

Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

Just adding this because there are so few builds with the latest cards.

Background and instal is the same as my previous Vega 56 build here

I removed my Vega 56, dropped in the RX 5700 XT and booted.

Checked in macOS to see if the enclosure showed up and all good, GPU fans did not spin but was half expect that due to the lack of drivers at time of writing.

Booted into W10 (1807 build) going against best practice (because I live dangerously) and didn't remove any drivers (stock AMD drivers - not modified Bootcamp drivers) and it booted and worked just fine... to my slight surprise.

Haven't put its through its paces fully as my house is a building site atm and my set up is temporary but will add benchmarks as I sort things out.

I'm holding off upgrading to Catalina as I'm a tiny bit confused where we stand solution wise and might break down if I break my set up.  

Findings:

Despite  driver not being well optimised for eGPU's there was a decent fish performance increase over Vega 56.

Fans are a lot more silent and don't spin when idle.

I can now hear the PSU fan in the Venus, as previously the GPU was far louder (and the Macbook louder than that when under load).

Edit: 

Kinda doing these as I go - documenting each step, for my own clarity if no one else.

Updating to Public beta with Navi support with Vega 56 Still in the enclosure.

To test with Vega 56, macOS 10.15.1 PB and W10 1809:

1. rEFInd. Does it get round error 12/43 [] Does it improve tb3 monitor detection []
  2. EFI Bootloader. Does it get round error 12/43 [Y, 3 for 3 restarting from macOS, and Start up boot] Does it improve tb3 monitor detection [N]
  3. macOS function as should [Y]

To test with RX5700XT, macOS 10.15.1 PB and W10 1809:

1. rEFInd. Does it get round error 12/43 [] Does it improve tb3 monitor detection []
  2. EFI Bootloader. Does it get round error 12/43 [] Does it improve tb3 monitor detection []
  3. macOS function as should [N - kernel panic, 3 for 3. Suspected hardware issue confirmed?]

To test with RX5700XT, macOS 10.15.1 PB and W10 1904 (latest):

2. EFI Bootloader. Does it get round error 12/43 [] Does it improve tb3 monitor detection []
This topic was modified 4 weeks ago

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

Update: now getting error 43 with the 5700xt. DDU’d, reinstalled, swapped out for Vega (works fine), swapped 5700xt back in and still error 43. 

It’s usually driver or power related, until public 10.15.1 I can’t be 100% sure it’s software  but it’s looking to me like it may be hardware related, as in a GPU fault. 

Possible? 

---

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@eightarmedpet I believe this error 43 has to do with rEFInd boot procedure. Can you try timed hot-plug forgoing rEFInd and see if it works. I was testing rEFInd this morning due to apple_set_os.efi having compatibility issues with newer Mac firmware. The good news is the latest rEFInd works keeping the iGPU activated when the eGPU is attached at boot. However I encountered error 43 when Windows loads. My 2019 13″ MacBook Pro runs 18362.295 and can handle AMD eGPU through hot-plug. I tried hot-unplug then hot-plug and RX 5700 eGPU worked without error 43. There are a couple of things you can try. One is timed hot-plug. The other is to downgrade Radeon drivers to a version that hopefully doesn’t cause this error 43. Radeon 19.7.1 is the first version with Navi drivers.

This post was modified 1 month ago

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@itsage

So rEFInd works but not automate-eGPU EFI for keeping iGPU active?

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.shautomate-eGPU EFI Installer
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + RX 5700 XT (Mantiz Venus)

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@mac_editor Yes. The new firmware in some Macs definitely broke apple_set_os.efi. So far I’ve seen it on 2018 13″ MacBook Pro, 2019 13″ MacBook Pro, and 2019 MacBook Air. These Mac laptops are all running 10.15 or newer. The 2018 Mac mini does not have this issue. The 2017 13″ MacBook Pro does not have this issue. The 2016 15″ MacBook Pro does not have this issue. My guess would be all Macs with Apple T2 chip + iGPU muxed display running Catalina and newer have this issue. using apple_set_os.efi. Older version of rEFInd doesn’t work either. Version 0.11.4 I tried this morning works.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@itsage

Hmm those are all 13” iGPU-only models. I think the newer dGPU-based Macs have been affected too. Will test again. rEFInd also uses set-os so I’m not sure what the difference is.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

I spoke too soon. The only reason iGPU stays working was due to error 43 on the RX 5700 eGPU. I tried RX Vega 64 LC through rEFInd and as soon as the drivers for it loaded, iGPU stopped working and Windows logo got stuck. Effected Macs need to do timed hot-plug for the time being unfortunately.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@itsage

Are these effects percolating down to earlier 13" models (2013/14) as well? Because hot-plugging TB devices is not possible on those machines (in Windows).

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

@itsage

cheers for the reply and the info! I've got a bit of a fuzzy head this morning so may be misunderstanding things, but are you saying apple_set_os no longer works (which is part of the rEFInd and automate-eGPU EFI solution) in 10.15 and above? 
I'm still on 10.14 and was actually downloading the update but have since paused.

Sounds like I may be in trouble as I 100% need my igpu working due to my (bad) screen choice (until I set up my Node lite with my add in card).

---

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@eightarmedpet From what I gathered, the Catalina firmware update in Apple T2 Chip Macs (except for 2018 Mac mini) breaks apple_set_os.efi and rEFInd spoof settings. My 2016 15″ MacBook Pro and 2017 13″ MacBook Pro don’t have this issue. Both are immune from the Win10 .329 and newer builds as well.

@mac_editor Unfortunately I don’t know if 2013/2014 13″ MacBook Pro models are effected. My guess is Catalina firmware update doesn’t effect non-Apple T2 Chip Macs. It’s very unusual the timing of all these new hurdles: new Mac firmware effecting existing boot loader, new Win10 versions causing error 12, new Windows Navi drivers producing error 43.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Posted by: @mac_editor

@itsage

apple_set_os.efi issue was reported here:  https://github.com/0xbb/apple_set_os.efi/issues/20

Please try the EFI file there posted by ah-.

I tried the latest EFI file linked. The internal display on my 2019 13″ MacBook Pro didn’t get stuck at Windows logo during boot with eGPU connected. However it stayed black instead of loading to the Windows Desktop.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@itsage

Interesting. Not sure what to make of that. One possibility is to try this with working eGPU connected display and check if iGPU is visible in device manager.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

@itsage forgot to mention that there were no software updates between it working and not working... unless something happened in the background that I didnt notice but thats very unlike Windows which for some reason feels the need to interrupt whatever I am doing anytime the smallest thing happens...

---

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

Updated to Catalina and yep, EFI and rEFInd are broke... struggling to get my Ultrafine recognised as well.

Have tried the updated apple_set_os in EFI bootloader but it only half worked (Vega was fine, igpu was error 43 and black Ultrafine).

Hot plugging doesn't work (at spinning circles) and results in error 12.

@itsage what version of W10 are you running on your 2017. because 2017's and 2019's behave differently...

Edit: Just tried my rEFInd instal again, even though all reports said it would have the same issue (unless I mis read/mis assumed) and all in fine. Thank bloody god. Having a few detection issues with the Ultrafine still but I dont think thats eGPU related.

God I love you rEFInd, don't ever leave me, please...

This post was modified 4 weeks ago

---

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@eightarmedpet My recommendation is to update your Windows 10 to 1903 18362.418 which is the latest version on my 2017 13″ MacBook Pro. I recall we both had issues (endless boot loop) with earlier Win10 1903 versions. Basically do a clean install from Win10 1903 V2 (OS Build 18382.356) off Microsoft website then perform Windows Update to .418. Install/reinstall rEFInd in macOS. Boot into Windows with RX 5700 XT eGPU attached through rEFInd then install latest Radeon drivers. The current issue with rEFInd and apple_set_os.efi only effects 2018 and newer Macs with Apple T2 chip.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

@itsage... hmmm.. that's a risk as my set up is working with my Vega, just, atm, you think the W10 instal is somehow responsible for the error 43?

I didn't have a boot loop with earlier versions of Windows but endless issues with TB3 and instal corrupting when connecting leading to reinstall. I may just send the 5700XT back and stick with the loud Vega.

---

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@eightarmedpet I found the post for the 2017 13″ MacBook Pro + RX 580 eGPU in 18392.356. I disabled all the unused PCIe components to be safe. PCI Express Root Port #9 [right-sided TB3 controller] and Port #12 [Wireless card] were re-enabled since and there’s no error 12. It’s not been tested with the RX 5700/XT eGPU however. I will try it later this week and report back.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

@itsage cheers! Look forward to seeing the results... although my problems are compounded by my bloody screen again as I need the right side ports to run it...

---

ReplyQuote
(@jendrik_reis)

@eightarmedpet

have u solved the code 43 error?

Macbook Pro 2019 13Inch 2,4GHZ / WIN 10 1809 / MacOS 10.15.1
Razer Core X Chroma
Asus ROG Strix Rx 5700 XT

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

@jendrik_reis

Hi, I never did, or maybe I did... I think it was a hardware issue and I sent the card back, but I can't be 100% sure as I never tested it in a PC.

What I do know:

• The card worked perfectly first couple of days.
  • Error 43 appeared after a couple of sessions gaming.
  • The card didnt work under macOS either (10.15.1 Beta 2) and caused a kernel panic when plugged in.

All those issues point towards hardware issues.

Also worth noting there wasn't a massive performance increase over my Vega in some games due to sub optimal driver optimisation, although in retrospect I wonder if it was due to games being CPU intensive.

This post was modified 1 week ago

---

ReplyQuote