2017 13" MacBook Pro nTB + RX580-8GB (AKiTiO Node) + macOS10.13 & Win10 [Visvism]^  

RSS

Visvism
(@visvism)
August 25, 2017 12:59 am  

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone on this forum for the detailed info and guides for newcomers like myself. I was able to get my setup complete within a matter of minutes after setting up the hardware. I'm currently running OS X High Sierra Public Beta 6 without issue and have a MSI Gaming X Radeon RX 580 8GB card installed into a Akitio Node, connected to an Acer CB281HK 4K 28" monitor via DisplayPort. High Sierra recognizes the video card as a AMD R9 xxx 8 GB graphics and was as simple as plug and play. I got the pop-up that said logoff to use external graphics card. I restarted just in case and was good to go. Thanks again to everyone. I purchased my card from Micro Center with the warranty so at a later point I can upgrade to the RX Vega 64 if needed.

I’m also noticing that the Akitio Node is keeping my MacBook Pro powered as well. Originally I had the Node connected on one port and the power cable on the other. I then unplugged the power cable and connected a Samsung T5 and the system still stayed at 100%. I did see it drop briefly to 99% but went right back to 100% a few minutes later. Not sure if this will cause damage since the Node doesn’t provide 60W of power which I think it necessary for my machine to run properly.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
Visvism
(@visvism)
August 31, 2017 2:27 am  

Mods please update the implementation guide to include macOS + Win. I can confirm that the same setup works under Windows 10 as well using Bootcamp. I was able to boot into Windows using the EFI USB drive trick and have the system and monitor recognized by the AMD software for the RX 580 series.

I can also confirm that updating the Node is possible as well using the same setup. I needed to enable the PCI port that I disabled during the guide on this site, update the TB3 drivers for my MBP, and then run the latest Akitio firmware from their site.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member
September 6, 2017 2:16 pm  

I love reading about these plug and play set ups... but what I like even more is photos and gaming benchmarks, so how about it champ?

P.S. Did you try Windows without the EFI USB trick because my 2017 didn’t need anything for Windows and 1050 or 1060…

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touchbar + [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win10
2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + [email protected] (Sonnet Breakaway Box) + Win10

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + GTX1070 (debating 2070 upgrade) @32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V1) + Win10
---
LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
(@peter_sumit)
December 12, 2017 11:23 pm  

How's the performance of this setup in windows(bootcamp) ? It will be great if you can through some light on it. 

And is there any driver issue in windows with AMD graphic card? 

ReplyQuote
(@alan_xu)
June 1, 2018 2:08 pm  

i am doing the same setup as well. i want to run a game only runs in windows, so i have to use bootcamp. and in your case, did you install your win10 within a USB? (without taking space of the laptop), is that possible? i guess i have to plugin usb first(or whatever storage i installed my bootcamp on) and then select boot drive during startup? thanks for answer

ReplyQuote