2017 13" MacBook Pro nTB + [email protected] (Sonnet Breakaway 550) + macOS10.13.5b & Win10 [whiskey_1130]
System specs (model inc screen size, CPU, iGPU, dGPU, operating system)
- mid-2017 13" MacBook Pro nTB
- Intel Iris Plus 640
- macOS 10.13.5 + Windows 10 (on Samsung T5 portable SSD)
eGPU hardware (eGPU enclosure, video card, any third-party TB3 cable, any custom mods)
- Sonnet Breakaway Box 550
- NVIDIA GTX 1070
- Coming Soon!
Installation steps (what did you do to get it all going?)
Followed the guide by @itsage
- Install Windows 10 ISO through Bootcamp Assistant [in macOS].
- Install DDU to remove default AMD/Nvidia graphics drivers and disable Windows automated GPU driver installation [in Windows].
- Install latest Intel iGPU drivers then create a manual Restore point just in case there's boot up issues [in Windows].
- Install rEFInd boot manager [in macOS].
- Mount EFI partition and create a subfolder called "custom" [in macOS].
- Download and copy apple_set_os.efi into the "custom" folder inside EFI volume [in macOS].
- Shut MacBook Pro down then connect eGPU to a Thunderbolt 3/USB-C port.
- Hit ENTER on apple_set_os.efi volume at rEFInd screen then boot into Windows [boot selection].
- Open Device Manager to confirm iGPU and Microsoft Display Adapter are present and active [in Windows].
- Install Nvidia graphics drivers then restart [in Windows].
- Boot into Windows following apple_set_os.efi at rEFInd boot selection screen.
*eGPU External Display*
FFXIV Stormblood Benchmark
Comments (eg: how has the eGPU improved your workflow or gaming?)
- I've reduced my office from a full sized gaming rig down to a simple Sonnet with my MacBook Pro nearby.
2018 13” MacBook Pro TB + RX 580 + Sonnet Breakaway 550
Do you think the dual core is a bottleneck for gaming? Or will this setup run something like Forza Horizon 4 1080p with high settings 60fps?
Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts