2017 13" MacBook Pro + [email protected] (Razer Core V1) + macOS 10.14.x/Windows 10  

RSS

Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member
November 3, 2018 4:42 pm  

System specs 2017 Macbook Pro, Touch bar i5 16GB ram.

egpu hardware Razer Core V1

Hardware pictures: Incoming

Installation steps 

For W10: This is the first time I have managed to get an AMD card working in Bootcamp - I have tried every other method and technique but what finally worked for me was the EFI bootloader and connecting my LG 5K to the other side Thunderbolt ports. rEFInd and apple_set_os always gave me a black screen but I never actually tried switching the ports of my monitor so maybe they would have worked all along? I also disabled the iSight camera and used the drivers from Bootcamp drivers rather than direct from AMD, no idea if that made a difference.

For macOS: As I cheaped out and got the V1 core I had to run the enabler to get it working, I did this back in the Sierra era and made a shit show of it, this time around it worked without a hitch.

Benchmarks 

Comments I can't be happier having a set up that works in both macOS and W10, I was never too keen on the work arounds for getting Nvidia working in macOS and the drivers were crap anyway so switching to AMD was always a goal. The 570 is a notable step down from my 1070 losing aobut 10-15 frames in most games @1440. I have ordered a Vega 56 which is prob overkill, fingers crossed it isnt any harder to get going, and will be on par with the 1070 (or possibly even better due to AMD drivers being better with internal screen acceleration which is how the 5K is treated).

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touchbar + [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win10
2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + [email protected] (Sonnet Breakaway Box) + Win10

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + GTX1070 (debating 2070 upgrade) @32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V1) + Win10

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + Vega 56 @32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V1) + Win10 & macOS 10.14+

---
LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
November 4, 2018 3:53 am  

This is excellent! I'd like to see the details of TB3 ports used and whether you disabled PCI Root Port to free up resources.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

86 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member
November 4, 2018 9:50 am  

Here ya go!

The only thing I have disabled is the iSight camera, I need all 4 ports so didn't even try disabling the right hand side one. Interestingly it appears there is a bit of a limit to how many devices I can connect - only 3. If I connect  4th one isnt recognised,  so my boot process is....

1. Boot holding down Option to get to boot manager - Thumbdrive, External SSD for games and eGPU connected.
2. Select Windows and get to login screen.
3. Remove Thumbdrive and plug in monitor to the same port (lots of noises happen in the background as peripherals and another drive are recognised).
4. Login.
5. Profit.

Edit: I may have spoken too soon or just didnt test thorough enough, booting with everyting plugged in works so long as 5K and eGPU are on opposing sides. Whats got me really excited is the possibility of connecting the thumb drive to the core and keeping everything constantly plugged in, I was getting tired of guessing hot plugging as it was not consistent. Fingers crossed for Vega.

My only fear is that it was only the previous version of the Bootloader that worked, the latest auto install doesn't, which is confusing, and I don't really have the knowledge to work out why. Looking forward to seeing if the Vega card works and also using it in macOS.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touchbar + [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win10
2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + [email protected] (Sonnet Breakaway Box) + Win10

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + GTX1070 (debating 2070 upgrade) @32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V1) + Win10

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + Vega 56 @32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V1) + Win10 & macOS 10.14+

---
LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
yjchua
(@yjchua)
Eminent Member
November 24, 2018 3:29 pm  

@Eightarmedpet could you boot in macOS and take a screenshots of the RX 570's details in the Graphics/Displays section of System Information?

I've got an RX570 in an Akitio Node for my own setup, but for some reason it only works with a PCIe lane width of x1, which means that it's definitely not operating to its full potential, so I'm interested to see at what PCIe lane width is your RX 570 eGPU operating.

At the moment I'm not sure whether my Node is the problem, or whether the RX 570 is the problem that's causing the link width to be x1.

Late-2016 15" rMBP (2.9/16/1TB/460)
Akitio Node + Asus Expedition RX 570 OC, 4GB

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote