2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 350) ...

Notifications
Clear all

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 350) + Win10 [Eightarmedpet]  

of  2
  RSS

Ethan Garner
(@ethan_garner)

But just to clairify - connecting the 5k to the macbook on one Thunderbolt port, and the Sonnet to the other, does indeed accelerate MacOS? 

Been debating pulling the trigger on a Sonnet eGFX RX 570 for a while now... this might put me over the hump.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Famed Member Moderator

Sorry, missed this reply... no way to accelerate the 5K in macOS so far and bootcamp is a bitch with the 5K's and AMD cards...

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node Lite) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
nickpeters
(@nickpeters)

Hi There,

How did you end up going with the EGPU and your mac with X-Plane 11?

Cheers
Nick

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Famed Member Moderator

@nickpeters I deleted it shortly after my initial test as its not something I use but maybe @gkrangers17 could share any further X-Plane experiences?

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node Lite) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
gkrangers17
(@gkrangers17)

@nickpeters @eightarmedpet It works great. I ran X Plane 11 on Windows 10 in Boot Camp. I used a GTX 1070 and was able to run High settings with 4x AA at 1080p and lower AA at 4K with good results - FPS 30-60 depending on scenery, aircraft, plugins, etc. The biggest issue with any MBP is going to be CPU bottlenecking, which is what happened to me. The eGPU is great, and makes X Plane 11 playable with pretty high settings most of the time...but if you use a lot of CPU heavy plugins or aircraft, you will bottleneck the CPU and no matter how good your GPU is it won't help. So just keep that in mind. XP11 is also mostly single thread, so CPU frequency boost is most important...my 2 core i7 would max out at around 3.5Ghz due to temp throttling. But if your MBP can do better, then FPS will be better the higher that boost clock can go...

ReplyQuote
AhmadNoweir
(@ahmadnoweir)

Hi 
I have a 2017 13 inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar running Mac OS Mojave and I am planning to buy an eGpu specially for gaming on bootcamp. I might also use it for some video editing purposes in Mac OS. Right now I am stuck between the Aorus gtx 1070 gaming box and Gigabyte rx580 gaming box. Is the Aorus gaming box just plug and play on bootcamp ? (After installing the drivers) I have heard people having problems with their Nvidia egpus in bootcamp after updating to Mojave. I know the rx 580 will be plug and play in Mojave and therefore I consider buying it and save the hassle. If the gtx 1070 will work on bootcamp without any complicated steps, please let me know, because this is gonna be the deciding factor.
Thanks

ReplyQuote
 of  2