2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RTX 2080 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + W...

Notifications
Clear all

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RTX 2080 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 1903 + macOS 10.15.5 // external storage included  

RSS

V. G.
(@v_g_)

I was torn between building a fully-fledged gaming PC and trying to use my Macbook Pro with an external eGPU. So I bit the bullet and bought the Razer Core X to throw my Asus Strix 2080 Super into. 

System specs are:

13" Macbook Pro (mid-2017)

• i7-7567U @ 3.5 GHz (dual-core)
  • 16GB memory
  • 500GB SSD (100 GB Windows, 400 GB MacOS)
  • Right side dual-TB connectors: USB-C to HDMI for direct MacOS dual-screen functionality & USB-C to SDCard/MicroSD Card Adapter with 3 further USB 3.0 ports, which then connects a 4 port Hub in my Asus monitor. (not pictured, as I just got it)
  • external 1TB NVMe drive connected to my monitor USB Hub for Steam games storage
  • external 1TB spinning storage for TimeCapsule backup connected to my monitor USB Hub while in MacOS (does not show in Windows obviously due to formatting)
  • USB Keyboard + Mouse connected to Monitor USB Hub

eGPU Hardware:

Hardware Picture (Monitor has been replaced):

Please excuse the messy cables - I just got this up and running consistently

Installation Steps:

1. Clean System on latest MacOS, no EFI files or the likes.
  2. Downloaded suggested base windows 10 1903 V1 as an ISO and the suggested Windows Update as an MSU file & latest NVIDIA drivers (stored drivers and MSU file on usb flash drive)
  3. Classic Bootcamp install with a 100GB partition on the internal drive for Windows 10 1903 v1
  4. Once in Windows 10, finished Bootcamp setup to install all apple related drivers
  5. Intstalled suggested Windows Updated via USB 
  6. Disabled Windows Updated using services.msc, so that nothing gets updated anymore
  7. Connected to wifi at this point
  8. Ran Apple Update in Windows - updated to the latest Bootcamp and wifi driver (had to reboot the system once as requested after Wifi driver update)
  9. At this stage I hot-plugged the eGPU while on windows desktop. 
  10. Installed NVIDIA drivers
  11. Disabled Webcam, as I won't need it.
  12. Rebooted and disconnected eGPU just as the screen went black for the reboot
  13. Ensured my dual-port hub had everything I needed already connected (power, 1TB external storage drive, mouse and my trusty 10 year old X3 Sidewinder keyboard)
  14. Hot-plugged eGPU as soon as white dotted spinner shows up on boot underneath the blue windows logo.
  15. SUCCESS!

Limitations I am aware of so far (UPDATED AFTER SOME USE):

• My Apple touch bar is not working in this state (as you can see in the picture - it is blank)
  • Sometimes my Mac Keyboard is not working in this state
  • Hot-plugging while on Windows Desktop never works. The Macbook screen goes garbled blue/white or green/white. Reset required
  • You cannot disconnect/connect any devices at this stage - it will crash the system with the same garbled screen
  • Hot-plug really needs to happen at the white dotted spinner, otherwise, this doesn't work
  • At times, if I hot-plug at the right moment, Windows asks to reboot for the GPU, so you repeat the unplug, reboot, hot-plug procedure and you are good to go.

Benchmarks:

• 3DMark Timespy GPU score 9974 (vs. around 11500 for an internal 2080 Super setup = 15% performance difference) (note, overall system score is not comparable, but in that regard it does best an RTX 2060 based Gaming Laptop according to 3DMark)

This topic was modified 4 months ago
2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RTX 2080 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 1903 + macOS 10.15.5 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote