2017 13" MacBook Pro TouchBar + [email protected] (Aorus Gaming Box) + macOS10.13 & Win10  

RSS

iSilver
(@isilver)
January 25, 2018 5:02 am  

System Specs

• 2017 13" MacBook Pro TouchBar (Model 14,2)
  • 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5
  • 8 GB RAM
  • 256 GB SSD
  • macOS High Sierra 10.13.2
  • Windows 10

eGPU Hardware

Hardware Pictures

(It's a dorm room, in case you're wondering)

Installation Steps

Hardware

• I bought the Gaming Box enclosure used without the normally-included GTX 1070
  • Open up the enclosure, insert the graphics card (it's board powered, so the power connectors in the box are unused), close it up
  • Plug the monitor into the graphics card's HDMI port
  • Plug the thunderbolt 3 cable into the top-left port on the Macbook (the one closest to the screen)
    • Note: the other port on the left side seems to work just as well in my experience

macOS

• Install Goalque's automate-eGPU (instead of disabling SIP completely, I just allowed kernel extensions with "csrutil enable --without kext")
  • Done!

Windows

• Install Windows 10 via the bootcamp assistant
  • Use Display Driver Uninstaller to remove all included AMD Radeon drivers
  • Create a bootable USB with Goalque's apple_set_os.efi
  • Shut down the laptop, plug in the thunderbolt cable to connect it to the enclosure, boot into Windows using apple_set_os.efi
  • Install Radeon drivers from the AMD website
  • Reboot
  • Done!

Benchmarks

I haven't run any benchmarks, but here's my experience with a few games (all run on the external 1080p monitor at native resolution):

• Rocket League (max settings): ~75 fps
  • Assassin's Creed 4 Black Flag (high settings): ~40 fps
  • Tribes Ascend (max settings): ~60 fps
  • Counter Strike (max settings): ~70 fps

Comments

Windows Setup

• Since setting this up I've switched to booting via rEFInd so that I don't need the bootable USB for apple_set_os.efi, but it doesn't make any functional difference
  • Booting into Windows without apple_set_os.efi results in a crash on startup
  • I tried various hotplugging methods and none of them worked for me
  • Occasionally, even with apple_set_os.efi, Windows won't properly recognize the eGPU when booting up, and crash on startup. Power-cycling the eGPU (plug out, wait a few seconds, plug back in) seems to fix the issue
  • Use with the internal display also works via AMD XConnect. Ejecting the external graphics and disconnecting the eGPU afterwards works without any problems in that case. However, connecting the eGPU while the laptop is on hasn't worked for me

Gaming Box

Thanks

• Thanks to Goalque for providing his tools (without which neither Windows nor macOS would work for me!)
  • Thanks to Nando4, theITsage, and various other folks on this forum for all the helpful posts
  • Thanks to mzeb for his implementation guide for a similar 2017 Macbook pro touchbar + AMD card setup

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
Esxiel
(@esxiel)
June 13, 2018 5:31 am  

Hey, can I just confirm that it is alright to not use an external monitor and just use the internal display with this setup?

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member
June 13, 2018 8:02 am  

Great little set up this... have you tried any other games? Would be interested to hear how PUBG fairs. I'd love a mini AMD eGPU set up but have never managed to beat error 12, no matter what instructions I follow.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touchbar + [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win10
2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + [email protected] (Sonnet Breakaway Box) + Win10

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + GTX1070 (debating 2070 upgrade) @32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V1) + Win10
---
LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote