2017 13" MacBook Pro TouchBar + [email protected] (Mantiz Venus) + macOS10.13 & Win10  

RSS

BTJ
 BTJ
(@btj)
January 29, 2018 12:27 pm  

System specs 

• 2017 13″ MacBook Pro TouchBar 
  • 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
  • 16 GB RAM
  • 512 GB SSD
  • macOS High Sierra 10.13.2
  • Windows 10

eGPU hardware

Hardware Pictures

will follow

Installation steps

Main reason for byeing an egpu enclosure for me was gaming - especially Wolfenstein 2 - the new colossus. and for that i would need Win10.

My first steps towards an e-GPU enclosure was made with a Sonnet Breakaway Box 550. MacOS ran absolutely hassle-free. But Win10 bootcamp never worked. Followed all steps in the guides here on EGPU-io, but i didnt manage to get it working with Win10.  GPU could not be found, and at the end i gave up and returned the Sonnet box.

After 1 month i stumpled across the Mantiz Venus and thougt that i would give it a go. Especially the possibility of adding a SSD was promising.

Installation

• Easy: side Panel comes of without the use of Tools. Plug in Power and place the GPU. Easy. 
  • Monitor plugged in with Display port cable
  • TB3- Kabel plugged into Left side on Macbook.

macOS:

• Works right out of the Box. very easy and excellent Job made by Apple already. 

Windows:

• Install Windows 10 via the bootcamp assistant
  • Boot into win10 using rEFind (yes - the Error 12 did hit me as well...)
  • Install Radeon drivers from the AMD website
  • Reboot
  • Done!

Benchmarks

Aida Shows around 2.500 MB/S write, so this is fine. Heaven Benchmark 4.0 Comes up with a score of around 1200 - also fine.

• Wolfenstein 2 - the new colossus / 3840 x 2160: 30-50 fps, Details on high
  • Wolfenstein 2 - the new colossus / 2560 x 1440: 50-75 fps, Details on high

Results are great. I was a Little worried, that my Kaby lake i7 with only 2 cores would be too limiting, but it isnt. It runs absoluty flawlessly for hours - just great!!

Comments

The internal Fan of the Mantiz i changed to a low noised Noctua fan - now it is completely silent. also improved temperatures when gaming, the RX580 fans dont Need to run at full Speed.

A funny Thing about the TB-3 cable: first time i plugged it in, the EGPU was not detected under win10. After turning the cable around it worked right away. Sounds like my cable was not bi-directional for some reason?

Update: wondered about Texture "plopping" during Wolfenstein - new order. Game was installed on a SSD mounted in the Mantiz. Made a new install, this time using the internal bootcamp partition. Improved the "texture popping" a lot, and also improved game flow. so using the Mantiz dock with a separate disk seems to cost a little in in-game performance. for normal data's and games which are not so "data-hungry", the mantiz dock is still fast enough.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

(@yuchen_zhang)
March 17, 2018 11:19 pm  

Hi!Thanks for sharing. I am interested in your setup and I want to build my own identical setup as well. 
I have some question about this setup:
1. I am curious about how did you figure out the error 12 or which guide did you follow to solve that issue. Would you like to share that as well?
2. After solved that issue, booting into windows is just plug-n-play?

Thank you so much!

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Ian
 Ian
(@ian)
June 4, 2018 2:13 am  

Hi,
I build my Mantiz Venus+GTX 970+MacBook Pro 13 inch Late 2016 build. You are referring to Error 12 on Windows, right? I solved that by disableing camera bridge(#10 if I remember correctly). Hope it helps!
https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/2016-macbook-pro-solving-egpu-error-12-in-windows-10/

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member
June 27, 2018 8:23 am  

Reg Windows instal...

"Windows:

• Install Windows 10 via the bootcamp assistant
  • Boot into win10 using rEFind (yes - the Error 12 did hit me as well...)
  • Install Radeon drivers from the AMD website
  • Reboot
  • Done!"

Did you include "apple_set_os" in your rEFInd instal or was it just a rEFInd on its own?

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touchbar + [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win10
2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + [email protected] (Sonnet Breakaway Box) + Win10

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + GTX1070 (debating 2070 upgrade) @32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V1) + Win10

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + Vega 56 @32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V1) + Win10 & macOS 10.14+

---
LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote